End Of My Rope !!!!!!!!!!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 16th, 2008, 10:43 AM
DucatiChick
Christine
1994 Defender90

Registry
Exclamation End Of My Rope !!!!!!!!!!!

Had My 1994 Defender-90 For 5+years And Never Had A Proplem With It Until This Past Year.
It Started With Random Stallings, No Matter The Speed Or Gear.
Then The Random "ok, Today I'll Start And Tomorrow I Wount" Began.
Sometimes It Would Turn Over But Not Start, Other Times It Would Be Completly Dead.
Things That Recently Had Been Replaced.....

1 Fuelpump
2 Ecu
3 Starter Relay

The Starter, Battery, Altenator Have All Been Checked And Are In Proper Working Cond.
All Wires Have Been Checked And Are Fine.

Nothing Has Made A Difference , I Am Reluctant To Take It Out Cuz I Am Affraid It Will Not Start Or Stall On Me Again In The Middle Of Nowhere.

I Really Love My Truck And Don't Want To Give Up On It, But @ This Point I Just Don't Know What To Do Anymore..the Mecanics Are Worthless And Of No Help, I Am Back To Square One
Minus Thousands Of Dollars And Getting Pretty Disgusted With It !!

I Need Some Help Here !!

Thank You All In Advance...btw...i Used To Be "d90-girl"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2008, 11:04 AM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

I assumed you replaced your fuel filter when the fuel pump was replaced?

are you having problem starting the truck, especially after the truck set over night? but it starts right away when you turn it off, and do you smell gasoline?
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:10 AM
DucatiChick
Christine
1994 Defender90

Registry
filter was replaced with pump
no matter time of day, temp or time, no starts are completly random.
no gasoline smell

right now it will not even turn over, the pannel lights up and I hear the fuel injector but nothing else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2008, 11:12 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiChick
.the Mecanics Are Worthless And Of No Help, I Am Back To Square One
Minus Thousands Of Dollars And Getting Pretty Disgusted With It !!

I Need Some Help Here !!
OK, first it depends on the mechanic as to how worthless they are. ;-)

Its hardly ever the ECU, lame mechanics just run to the ECU when they don't want to take the time to figure something out.

You have to describe what it does. Does it just shut off? or dies it sputter and stall? Is it when the engine is warm? or something else??
The 94 90 is quite simple, it shouldn't be an issue to get fixed, just sometimes it takes some time to find the issue, but to do it long distance you have to describe everything it does so that the problem can be found.

Is it when you hit a bump?
Does it matter if when it won't start if you shake the steering wheel? (can point to a loose ignition switch).

Describe what you hear and feel and I'll help.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:12 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
My 94 had a problem in the connection between one of the wires and the starter relay itself. The relay was fine, the wires were fine, but there was a bad connection in the relay plug.

If it gets too bad and you just can't find the problem, this is where you put the truck on a transporter and send it to ECR, and invest in a one-time do-it-right fix.

Then you can make a roadtrip out of bringing it home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 16th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

This sounds similar to what my truck did when the starter failed. Have they tried the whack test (hit it with a hammer while turning the ignition)? If it starts, then the part is bad.
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:44 AM
DucatiChick
Christine
1994 Defender90

Registry
When it dies, its silent...the only clue you get is "oh shit it's hard to streer"....no bumps needet either ....sometimes I drive for days with no proplems, then the next day I drive to the gasstation
(2 mile trip, cold engine) get my fuel, pay....and will not restart...will have it towed to the shop only for them to call me the next day to tell me its cranking up and running fine.
I actually insisted for them to keep it over the weekend and for someone to take it home, so they can see what its doing, but everytime " they" have it...it runs like a cheetha on crack and starts fine.

SHOOT ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland
This sounds similar to what my truck did when the starter failed. Have they tried the whack test (hit it with a hammer while turning the ignition)? If it starts, then the part is bad.
Follow-up Post:

starter is 2 years old, we did the banging it with the hammer thing when its dead, thats "not" it.
Hahaha...wish it was that easy myself...grrrr
Right now I want to bang the truck allright ( with a baseball bat )...
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:47 AM
DucatiChick
Christine
1994 Defender90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
If it shuts down on the highway can you then sometimes just re-start it?
sometimes yes, sometimes no...wohoooo hope this helps ..hehehe
( sorry I am just so fed up its not funny)
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:51 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

If it shuts down on the highway can you then sometimes just re-start it?

Follow-up Post:

If you want to save a ton of typing call me

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/contact.html

Follow-up Post:

When it won't start is it always that you turn the key and get nothing? (no clicks, no crank, just dash lights)
or it is sometimes that it will crank/turn over and not fire up?

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:00 PM
DucatiChick
Christine
1994 Defender90

Registry
The very first time it every died on me and the shop had it ( for 3 month ) , it would not restart only turn over.
Thats when they replaced the fuelpump...and it still would not start....then they replaced the relay..then the ECU... and so on, then a dude on his lunchbreak messed with the wires ( coil ) and it started right up and ran like a charm with no other proplems, two month later its started doing it again and has been doing it since .
This has been going on since August of 07 and i just don't know how much longer I can do this.
This Truck is gonna land me in an institution !!!
I need to get this solved...soon
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland

I love vehicles that require hammers to be used in the diagnosis process
Don't give up DucatiChick, we will get you sorted out. Just curious where in FL you are? If you are anywhere near the Jax area, I can refer a good dedicated Rover shop to you.
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:03 PM
DucatiChick
Christine
1994 Defender90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke
I love vehicles that require hammers to be used in the diagnosis process
Don't give up DucatiChick, we will get you sorted out. Just curious where in FL you are? If you are anywhere near the Jax area, I can refer a good dedicated Rover shop to you.
Thanks..I need all the help I can get..moral support includet please !!!!!
I live in Destin, Florida...thats up on the Panhandle between Pensacola and Panama city.
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Maybe your Defender is mad that you changed your profile name to DucatiChick from D-90 Girl.

Actually, your name used to be "Rover Girl". Interesting.
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
James at British 4X4 here in Jacksonville is good, but that would be a bit of a haul for you...
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:19 PM
DucatiChick
Christine
1994 Defender90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozman
Maybe your Defender is mad that you changed your profile name to DucatiChick from D-90 Girl.
Hahahaha.....Just bought my Ducati 1000ds 2 month ago....Just love that bike
but you may be right...oh well, the D90 better get over it...and soon ( just teasing )...I love my truck and would never sell it...I am just mad right now cuz of what its doing, LOL

Follow-up Post:

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke
James at British 4X4 here in Jacksonville is good, but that would be a bit of a haul for you...
uhm, yeah....This would be a last resort , let me try this route first..but thanks
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Sure sounds like your coil is crapping out on you to me. either it's getting burned up due to bad voltage regulation, or loose wire to it somewhere.

If you want to really fix it, swap it with a diesel. It shortens your troubleshooting steps quite a bit.

P.S. Coils, distributors and spark plugs all suck...
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Call Mike at ECR - he is offering to give you some help.

This sounds like a problem I had on my old '97. The problem there was the Crankshaft Position Sensor was shorting out because of a coolant leak; heads skimmed, new gaskets (etc.), and a new sensor... I don't know if the '94 had the same sensor or not.
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
Sure sounds like your coil is crapping out on you to me. either it's getting burned up due to bad voltage regulation, or loose wire to it somewhere.
I had a similar problem. I removed the coil, cleaned the connections, reassembled, and problem solved.

That would be my guess as to what it is.
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:58 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would start with the usual suspects. Fuel pump relay and ECU relay (the two silver ones in the footwell); ignition components (amp, cap, rotor, coil wire, coil). Then test the TPS, then O2s and MAF.

I would bet on the silver fuel pump relay. They will fail intermittently.

Ron

PS of course you could always sell it to me for cheap and I could fix it and sell in back in a year or two when I am tired of it.
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:04 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
My take on this is:
- Call Mike, he seems to really know his stuff. There are too many unknown in what you are describing and I think you need a list of "what to check" when the truck dies (and what tool you need to check those things).

- you probably have two problems:
- starter circuit with some problems (could be a relay, a wire to the relay, the plugs on the starter are known to corrode/make bad connections)
- ignition (or fuel) system problem (small connection definitely can go bad and fiddling with the wires might cause the connection to connect/not connect on you..... Could be an inertia switch going bad. Could be.... so many other things)
- or you have one problem that explains it all (bad ground? Seems to be a classic on older trucks, so.... why not)

But.... You _need_ to have a broken truck to get it fixed. So... Pray for it to die and stay dead for a while so you can troubleshoot it.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions