emmisions control reminder - service engine light - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 26th, 2011, 08:28 AM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

emmisions control reminder - service engine light

Can someone give me some tips on turning off the red dash light "service engine" in a 1997 defender. From all the posts I have read this is due to the emmissions control reminder - and I am just under 82,000. So my first question is - can the light be turned off by using a obd2 reader? And if not where is it exactly located. I have pulled out the coin tray and dug all around the fuse box area looking for a brown "box" but can see anything like that. Is it a relay or something bigger? All 97's came with a/c - does that really need to be removed to get to it? I would prefer to reset it to turn off the light rather than just pull the bulb. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2011, 10:03 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Call me crazy but I thought the Service Engine light didn't do anything in a 97 since it has full on OBDII.

Are you really sure it's not "Check Engine" which is in fact your OBDII system? The dash has both lights. If it's Check Engine then yes you reset it with a code scanner.
Old September 26th, 2011, 11:48 AM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
on my 95 it cam on around 102000 and I took out the screws holing the gauge cluster - tipped it forward to reveal I think it was a grey box that said on it emission something and you could see where someone had reset it before and I used a long coat hanger to jam in the same hole and after a little wiggling it was reset - my mechanic said I could pull out the entire box but I too wanted to reset it - a few of the plastic holing the dash together crumbled as I took the screws out but other then that is was easy

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2011, 08:12 PM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
Take out the relay ! It only serves to bring cash into the coffers of the delaer<s service department and serves no usefull purpose. If you really need a light to tell you when to service your Defender, then you should probably buy a J...P.
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:09 AM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

Thank you for all the replies.
-Yes it is the red service engine light.
-On a 95' it is behind the instrument cluster but I believe on a 97' its down by the fuses in the center console. Can anyone with a 1997 defender confirm this and what dismantling it takes to get to the emmissions control box.
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:42 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Are you talking about the same thing discussed a few days ago? If so, here are the tips.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33171

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, ht, service