Emissions values - should they be this low?!? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 25th, 2012, 10:14 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Emissions values - should they be this low?!?

Took my truck in for emissions inspection today and passed without a problem (always a tense moment there)...however, I took a look at my inspection report and was surprised to see the values. He in VA, the HC ppm limit is 125 both at idle and at 2500rpm and the CO% is 1.00 for both. My truck registered 35ppm HC & .01 CO% at idle and 23ppm HC & .02 CO% at 2500rpm. What are others seeing?

For reference purposes, my truck has a 3.9L with about 45K miles on it and I just replaced a cat and installed a "new" (used unit from Tillery) dizzy because my old one died. I also installed some new plugs because I was worried my lack of VSS for over a week may have fouled the old ones. I am getting a little pinging under acceleration with a load (typically up hills) so I assume I need to look at my timing but thought the emissions values were just oddly low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2012, 10:34 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wait...you seriously only have 45k on your truck?

Here's the report on my truck from the PO (keep in mind it didn't pass at idle on the first try so ignore that number):
http://www.virims.com/ins-reports/se...-2010-13-15-49

And when it passed:
http://www.virims.com/ins-reports/se...-2010-09-59-03
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 26th, 2012, 12:00 AM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Took my truck in for emissions inspection today and passed without a problem (always a tense moment there)...however, I took a look at my inspection report and was surprised to see the values. He in VA, the HC ppm limit is 125 both at idle and at 2500rpm and the CO% is 1.00 for both. My truck registered 35ppm HC & .01 CO% at idle and 23ppm HC & .02 CO% at 2500rpm. What are others seeing?

For reference purposes, my truck has a 3.9L with about 45K miles on it and I just replaced a cat and installed a "new" (used unit from Tillery) dizzy because my old one died. I also installed some new plugs because I was worried my lack of VSS for over a week may have fouled the old ones. I am getting a little pinging under acceleration with a load (typically up hills) so I assume I need to look at my timing but thought the emissions values were just oddly low.
Jeff, it means your cats and engine are working in an efficient manner.(different from peak efficiency)
HC is hydrocarbon or unburnfuel, your fuel injection system is well coordinated with your ignition timing but not nescesarily optimum. (as you can tell by the ping).
CO is carbon dioxide and it is a by product of combustion of course formed by hot gasses yada yada yada.
so your fuel and engine are doing their best with the info received from the varius sensors, coolant temp, air intake and o2 sensor read out... this passes the cats and the output is what is measured.
if you did not have cats, they were cold (less than 2500 degrees), or defective one of the sensors was failing, or your plugs were fouled, those readings would not be possible...
even with all in working order and you tested before the cats, those readings would be thru the roof.
check out va deq's website, they have lots of good info on emissions.
the link should be on your paper work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2012, 07:35 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Wait...you seriously only have 45k on your truck?

Here's the report on my truck from the PO (keep in mind it didn't pass at idle on the first try so ignore that number):
http://www.virims.com/ins-reports/se...-2010-13-15-49

And when it passed:
http://www.virims.com/ins-reports/se...-2010-09-59-03
45k on the engine...125k on the truck. PO replaced the engine at 81k

------ Follow up post added June 26th, 2012 07:41 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosz View Post
Jeff, it means your cats and engine are working in an efficient manner.(different from peak efficiency)
HC is hydrocarbon or unburnfuel, your fuel injection system is well coordinated with your ignition timing but not nescesarily optimum. (as you can tell by the ping).
CO is carbon dioxide and it is a by product of combustion of course formed by hot gasses yada yada yada.
so your fuel and engine are doing their best with the info received from the varius sensors, coolant temp, air intake and o2 sensor read out... this passes the cats and the output is what is measured.
if you did not have cats, they were cold (less than 2500 degrees), or defective one of the sensors was failing, or your plugs were fouled, those readings would not be possible...
even with all in working order and you tested before the cats, those readings would be thru the roof.
check out va deq's website, they have lots of good info on emissions.
the link should be on your paper work.
While I like efficient, I prefer optimum! When I pulled the old plugs this past weekend they were a whitish color which I mormally equate to a lean condition but I also dismissed that because of my previous VSS problems. I need to pick up a new timing light because my old faithful (Sears timing light from 1980's) doesn't seem to be putting out the light she used to! Other than timing, is there anything else you would recommend checking to reach optimum performance?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions