Emissions Testing Help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:16 PM
NoVaKevin
Status: Offline
Kevin
sold#1469
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 444
Emissions Testing Help

Failed VA safety inspection- because of the fu$king stock brush guard setup. Apparently the little 3 wire headlight brush guard that connects via screws to the brush guard is not allowed per VA rules. Apparently it obstructs the headlight too much. Stooopid.

Failed VA emissions because failed the gas cap pressure test. They didnt even do the 2 speed idle test because the guy said I obviously have an emissions problem because of he smell. (note: disgruntled old guy. I shouldve taken it to my normal place where the guy passes anything). I cant smell or see any leaks other than exhaust coming out of the tail pipe. No apparent leaks.

.... Is it normal to have an exhaust gas smell? If so, how bad? Mine comes into the cabin (the rear window is always rolled up on my d90 because one zipper is broke). Could the smell come from burning too rich/lean? And, would this affect the outcome of the 2 speed idle test which measuers Hydrocarbon PPM and Carbon Monoxide?

Engine was removed rebuilt 10kmiles ago. All new seals (including exhaust manifold), piston rings, bearings, rods.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old January 17th, 2011, 08:47 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Kevin, my 110 had the kind of brush guard with the grill in front of the headlights and I never had any problems with inspections because of them. How do they perform a gas cap pressure test? Does the exhaust aim the fumes out the side of the truck? If it is short it can contribute to fumes getting drawn into the back, but I think if the smell is excessive it might be running too rich. How's your gas mileage?

I'd just go somewhere else and see what happens

charles
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,696
Registry
Where did you go for testing? I had pretty good luck at Lee Hwy Exxon and the Sunoco just past Harrison St. on Lee Hwy. (They also stock Redline MTL on the shelf)



Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post
Failed VA safety inspection- because of the fu$king stock brush guard setup. Apparently the little 3 wire headlight brush guard that connects via screws to the brush guard is not allowed per VA rules. Apparently it obstructs the headlight too much. Stooopid.

Failed VA emissions because failed the gas cap pressure test. They didnt even do the 2 speed idle test because the guy said I obviously have an emissions problem because of he smell. (note: disgruntled old guy. I shouldve taken it to my normal place where the guy passes anything). I cant smell or see any leaks other than exhaust coming out of the tail pipe. No apparent leaks.

.... Is it normal to have an exhaust gas smell? If so, how bad? Mine comes into the cabin (the rear window is always rolled up on my d90 because one zipper is broke). Could the smell come from burning too rich/lean? And, would this affect the outcome of the 2 speed idle test which measuers Hydrocarbon PPM and Carbon Monoxide?

Engine was removed rebuilt 10kmiles ago. All new seals (including exhaust manifold), piston rings, bearings, rods.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old January 18th, 2011, 01:21 PM
lordhelemt's Avatar
lordhelemt
Status: Offline
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Where did you go for testing? I had pretty good luck at Lee Hwy Exxon and the Sunoco just past Harrison St. on Lee Hwy. (They also stock Redline MTL on the shelf)
The Lee Hwy Sunoco will pass you. Just remove the headlight grills before going in (i've been failed for that too).

As for the emmisions, replace the cap and have them put it on the machine. They can fail you for a leak but not for an exhaust smell. The machine gives you the pass/fail on emmisions.
__________________
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 18th, 2011, 02:22 PM
jefhuf's Avatar
jefhuf
Status: Offline
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Haymarket, VA
Posts: 1,660
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
How do they perform a gas cap pressure test?

charles

They screw the gas cap into their machine to test it...mine failed at time of inspection too but $25 for a new one they had in the little display and all was well again.

Agree with others, Kevin, replace the gas cap and take it somewhere else, preferably somewhere Rover friendly!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 30th, 2011, 06:10 PM
NoVaKevin
Status: Offline
Kevin
sold#1469
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 444
PM me the address of the Sunoco. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhelemt View Post
The Lee Hwy Sunoco will pass you. Just remove the headlight grills before going in (i've been failed for that too).

As for the emmisions, replace the cap and have them put it on the machine. They can fail you for a leak but not for an exhaust smell. The machine gives you the pass/fail on emmisions.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 30th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,696
Registry
http://maps.google.com/maps?jsid=1&h...ed=0CAIQkwMwAQ
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Massachussetts new emissions testing - Diesel Engine Conversions dmarchand Defender Technical Discussions 38 September 19th, 2012 12:34 PM
emissions testing denver - oversized tyres snosrfr Defender Technical Discussions 10 November 11th, 2010 02:03 PM
Nevada emissions testing Paul Davis Defender Technical Discussions 4 November 17th, 2008 09:57 AM
Emissions question Rod Hayward Defender Technical Discussions 5 March 2nd, 2005 03:44 PM
Just failed an emissions test, suggestions? Hans Defender Technical Discussions 6 October 11th, 2004 12:12 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.


Copyright