Emissions Testing Help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 17th, 2011, 07:16 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Emissions Testing Help

Failed VA safety inspection- because of the fu$king stock brush guard setup. Apparently the little 3 wire headlight brush guard that connects via screws to the brush guard is not allowed per VA rules. Apparently it obstructs the headlight too much. Stooopid.

Failed VA emissions because failed the gas cap pressure test. They didnt even do the 2 speed idle test because the guy said I obviously have an emissions problem because of he smell. (note: disgruntled old guy. I shouldve taken it to my normal place where the guy passes anything). I cant smell or see any leaks other than exhaust coming out of the tail pipe. No apparent leaks.

.... Is it normal to have an exhaust gas smell? If so, how bad? Mine comes into the cabin (the rear window is always rolled up on my d90 because one zipper is broke). Could the smell come from burning too rich/lean? And, would this affect the outcome of the 2 speed idle test which measuers Hydrocarbon PPM and Carbon Monoxide?

Engine was removed rebuilt 10kmiles ago. All new seals (including exhaust manifold), piston rings, bearings, rods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2011, 08:47 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Kevin, my 110 had the kind of brush guard with the grill in front of the headlights and I never had any problems with inspections because of them. How do they perform a gas cap pressure test? Does the exhaust aim the fumes out the side of the truck? If it is short it can contribute to fumes getting drawn into the back, but I think if the smell is excessive it might be running too rich. How's your gas mileage?

I'd just go somewhere else and see what happens

charles
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Where did you go for testing? I had pretty good luck at Lee Hwy Exxon and the Sunoco just past Harrison St. on Lee Hwy. (They also stock Redline MTL on the shelf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post
Failed VA safety inspection- because of the fu$king stock brush guard setup. Apparently the little 3 wire headlight brush guard that connects via screws to the brush guard is not allowed per VA rules. Apparently it obstructs the headlight too much. Stooopid.

Failed VA emissions because failed the gas cap pressure test. They didnt even do the 2 speed idle test because the guy said I obviously have an emissions problem because of he smell. (note: disgruntled old guy. I shouldve taken it to my normal place where the guy passes anything). I cant smell or see any leaks other than exhaust coming out of the tail pipe. No apparent leaks.

.... Is it normal to have an exhaust gas smell? If so, how bad? Mine comes into the cabin (the rear window is always rolled up on my d90 because one zipper is broke). Could the smell come from burning too rich/lean? And, would this affect the outcome of the 2 speed idle test which measuers Hydrocarbon PPM and Carbon Monoxide?

Engine was removed rebuilt 10kmiles ago. All new seals (including exhaust manifold), piston rings, bearings, rods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2011, 01:21 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Where did you go for testing? I had pretty good luck at Lee Hwy Exxon and the Sunoco just past Harrison St. on Lee Hwy. (They also stock Redline MTL on the shelf)
The Lee Hwy Sunoco will pass you. Just remove the headlight grills before going in (i've been failed for that too).

As for the emmisions, replace the cap and have them put it on the machine. They can fail you for a leak but not for an exhaust smell. The machine gives you the pass/fail on emmisions.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old January 18th, 2011, 02:22 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
How do they perform a gas cap pressure test?

charles

They screw the gas cap into their machine to test it...mine failed at time of inspection too but $25 for a new one they had in the little display and all was well again.

Agree with others, Kevin, replace the gas cap and take it somewhere else, preferably somewhere Rover friendly!
Old January 30th, 2011, 06:10 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

PM me the address of the Sunoco. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhelemt View Post
The Lee Hwy Sunoco will pass you. Just remove the headlight grills before going in (i've been failed for that too).

As for the emmisions, replace the cap and have them put it on the machine. They can fail you for a leak but not for an exhaust smell. The machine gives you the pass/fail on emmisions.
Old January 30th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
http://maps.google.com/maps?jsid=1&h...ed=0CAIQkwMwAQ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions