Emissions – failed Hydrocarbons PPM - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 14th, 2011, 10:52 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Emissions – failed Hydrocarbons PPM

After changing two bulbs, tightening a lose exhaust flange and wheel bearing, I brought my rig in for the dreaded VA state inspection and emissions this morning. It passed the inspection. Now on to the emissions. Given the PO said the #3 injector had been problematic in the past and should be replaced and my-seat-of-the-pants assessment that it was running rich (and smelling rich), I was not too optimistic for the emissions, even after advancing the timing from 5 to 7 degrees last night (smoother idle, still no pinging under load and temp gage remains just left of center). Well the results were dismal: The HC ppm (parts per million of hydrocarbons – unburned or partially burnt gasoline) measured 6467 at idle and 6033 at 2500 rpm. The limit is 125. The CO% was 2.38 and 2.26, respectively, and the limit here is 1.00.

Hoping it is the one bad injector that is dumping raw fuel into the cylinder that is causing all of this. I’ll look for a wet plug to confirm. Before I start pulling things apart, is there any other quick or simple fixes I should look for? Bad pressure regulator, etc.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2011, 08:22 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
you are on the right track, indeed hydrocarbons (hc) is unburnt fuel.
with that level of hcs I would be looking into cats, but start by looking into tstat or temp sending sensor
wht year is your truck? I gather pre obd2?
if at all possible graph the o2 sensors, one may be lazy and causing all kinds of issues.
check for vacuum leaks... in the past I had similar issues and it turned out to be a minimal leak on the brake vacuum servo bladder... I even fooled into the idea of installing a resistor in place of the coolant temp sensor in order tol fool the ecu in thinking it is very hot thus leaning the mixture... on the same I have gone the other way in to fooling it to perforn a rich condition.
I think 90 to 100 ohms in rich and 300 to 900 is lean 1200 and above is almost playing with fire as you begin to detonate.
best of luck

QUOTE=down_shift;305377]After changing two bulbs, tightening a lose exhaust flange and wheel bearing, I brought my rig in for the dreaded VA state inspection and emissions this morning. It passed the inspection. Now on to the emissions. Given the PO said the #3 injector had been problematic in the past and should be replaced and my-seat-of-the-pants assessment that it was running rich (and smelling rich), I was not too optimistic for the emissions, even after advancing the timing from 5 to 7 degrees last night (smoother idle, still no pinging under load and temp gage remains just left of center). Well the results were dismal: The HC ppm (parts per million of hydrocarbons – unburned or partially burnt gasoline) measured 6467 at idle and 6033 at 2500 rpm. The limit is 125. The CO% was 2.38 and 2.26, respectively, and the limit here is 1.00.

Hoping it is the one bad injector that is dumping raw fuel into the cylinder that is causing all of this. I’ll look for a wet plug to confirm. Before I start pulling things apart, is there any other quick or simple fixes I should look for? Bad pressure regulator, etc.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
Old October 19th, 2011, 06:40 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Well this happened to be an easy fix. The #3 and #7 wires were swapped! That and two new plugs (the rest were fine) and it is good to go. The compression checked out great as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2011, 09:31 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Passed emissions this morning: HC ppm dropped to 102 at idle and 74 at 2500 rpm (125 limit). The CO% dropped to 0.30 and 0.38 (1.00 limit). How does this compare to others?
Old October 20th, 2011, 09:37 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
If I have mine in the glove box, I'll tell you at HH
Old October 20th, 2011, 11:00 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Sorry to stink up your new garage with gas! You'll need to double down with the primer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions