emissions bad news, good news - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 13th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW
emissions bad news, good news

Well, I went to inspect my 93 RR LWB today and was just a little aprehensive as the idle has been erratic for a long while. I say long while since this is the third vehicle inline for use.

It's always passed with flying collors but today it didn't at first. I kept getting a failure of idle speed out of range. I know the inspection guy so he tells me to go check it out and then come back. No charge for this one as he hadn't printed the sticker.

Well, I get home and pull the air filter. There's some plastic bag piece stuck in there and it's generally dirty. So I pop in a new filter and notice a stable enough idle to attempt another inspection.

He starts it up and the same failure. He then switched the inspection computer's tach to another plug wire and bingo! Stable idle SIGNAL to the computer and a passed inspection. I gladly gave him a little extra for his effort and am set for another two years. In MA smog is every other year.

BTW, the highest smog value was about 3% of the max so I'm in very good shape. In fact, the numbers all around were significantly better than two years ago.

So, keep it in mind.

Old July 13th, 2007, 08:59 PM
shane cates
94 d90
guess we are lucky here. Only visual inspection. I always cut the cats in half, shove a pipe through them and weld them back. Tune it and disable the o2s. Pass every time. Actually, A smog in denver passed this way for me once.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions