Emissions and cat replacement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 14th, 2015, 10:04 AM
tim
Timothy Homewood
Defender 50th going topless

Emissions and cat replacement

Hi, my defender 50th ( basically the same as a NAS 1997) failed its roadworthyness test today in Hong Kong based on emissions - we basically follow the UK standards. The Idle CO was ok at 0.319 (limit is 0.5). The high/ fast idle CO was a fail at 0.318 (limit is 0.3). Given it's not far over I will try all the usual tweaks to get it through.
Now, it has been suggested that the cats are dead..this partly based on the fact the engine light is not lit - how would I check if the light works at all?
If it comes to it, what about cat replacement? Land Rover originals are thousands.
There are very cheap y-pipe cats advertised in the UK for the defender 4.0, for less than 200 pounds, but I have no idea if these would be good enough to pass ( I do not need paperwork or originality.just lower readings), also do not know if these would strangle the engine.
I note there is also Magnaflow direct fit (49 state legal) for the 1997 Defender 90 which should fit. And whilst I see much written on how the improve the gas flow, it is still unclear weather these would pass either.
Another alternative is to weld in new cats of a suitable size and quality - perhaps something 50 state lea gal to make sure..
Any advice is much appreciated.
Regards, tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2015, 10:14 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
Hi, my defender 50th ( basically the same as a NAS 1997) failed its roadworthyness test today in Hong Kong based on emissions - we basically follow the UK standards. The Idle CO was ok at 0.319 (limit is 0.5). The high/ fast idle CO was a fail at 0.318 (limit is 0.3). Given it's not far over I will try all the usual tweaks to get it through. Now, it has been suggested that the cats are dead..this partly based on the fact the engine light is not lit - how would I check if the light works at all? If it comes to it, what about cat replacement? Land Rover originals are thousands. There are very cheap y-pipe cats advertised in the UK for the defender 4.0, for less than 200 pounds, but I have no idea if these would be good enough to pass ( I do not need paperwork or originality.just lower readings), also do not know if these would strangle the engine. I note there is also Magnaflow direct fit (49 state legal) for the 1997 Defender 90 which should fit. And whilst I see much written on how the improve the gas flow, it is still unclear weather these would pass either. Another alternative is to weld in new cats of a suitable size and quality - perhaps something 50 state lea gal to make sure.. Any advice is much appreciated. Regards, tim
Plenty of people get cats welded in here so I'm sure a 97 owner will post a link.

When you say engine light ... Do you mean check engine light?

This should come on and go out when starting the truck. Check the bulb works as this is a common trick to pull it out to avoid an emissions failure ...

Forget has flow and strangling the engine. The engine is setup to run with cats ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 14th, 2015, 01:02 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
It's a 97 thus obd 2...use a scanner to see the numbers at which the motor is running...with those numbers you may just need a tune up, oxygen sensors and coolant temp sensor...maybe consider a new thermostat as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2015, 09:34 AM
tim
Timothy Homewood
Defender 50th going topless

Hi, thanks, I will endevour to plug it into something. I was surprised to find the 50th does not have a MIL light and only came with 2 lambda sensors. Still interested if anyone has any experience of the Magnaflow Y pipe as to output emissions.
Cheers, tim
Old May 18th, 2015, 10:36 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
Hi, my defender 50th ( basically the same as a NAS 1997) failed its roadworthyness test today in Hong Kong based on emissions - we basically follow the UK standards. The Idle CO was ok at 0.319 (limit is 0.5). The high/ fast idle CO was a fail at 0.318 (limit is 0.3). Regards, tim
Those limits are TIGHT. In NOVA, both are 1.00%. In 2011 my D came in at .30% and .38%, respectively.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac