EMERGENCY-Xfer case issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 11th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

EMERGENCY-Xfer case issues

Hey guys, I need some advice really badly. I have had '97 w/auto for about a year now. I have always had some difficulty getting it to engage in high range after shifting into low. There would be that buzzing telling me that it was not engaged and then with extra jiggling etc it would properly engage and the buzzing would stop.

Just went out wheelin for the first time in a while. I shifted into low with no issues. Super easy to shift into low. When I wanted to go back to high it would go in but buzz like hell and then just gently slip into neutral after a mile or so. I then had to go to low just to drive at all. I kept trying and now I shift it into the high range position and back to low position and I am hearing NO buzzing at all. It seems to go to high position but it is still in low. After messing with it a long time I was eventually forced to drive home in low.(About 40 miles) What a drag.

I am not hearing any grinding or anything. Seems to work fine. Maybe I have a problem with the linkage or something? I havent taken it apart yet but will likely do it this after noon. I am thinking I can pull the console and enter the case from the top. Maybe something just came loose? Anyone with any experience...please advise.

Larry
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2004, 12:43 PM
mattwhite
Matt White
94 D-90

Larry,

When my t-case was going I found that i couldn't shift it into low range, however I was picking up some vibrations on the road from it.

When I pulled the t-case and looked in the inspection plate, i could tell that the shims on the shaft that moves in and out of high and low range, were basicly gone. So every thing was real sloppy and the "fork" that actually moves it into high and low range was jammed.

My suggestion would to pull the inspection plate (while still on the 90) and you will easliy be able to see if there is a problem inside the t-case.

Matt
Old July 13th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

I am assuming I will be needing a replacement xfer case. I am unsure what case I need for my 97 with the auto transmission. Seems to be easy to find the LT230 but will that work with my auto? Didn't I just read about a LT2300 for use with the auto??
Anyone know for sure? THX.

Larry
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2004, 07:48 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

230 should be fine.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:33 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

I'd say more often than not, it is the linkage binding up. Definately check that out first before you drop the cash for a new x-fer box.
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:43 AM
redrover

Larry , hopefully your external linkage came loose. LR used these silly little clips that break easily. Also if your linkage looks good, but the cabin h/l selector moves with little resistence you could have a problem along the selector shaft inside tcase. This is a major hassel. If everything looks good on linkage, I would next look at the H/L selector housing. It is easy to remove {6bolts, and break the rtv seal} you dont need to drain case for this. You will be able to tell if anything broke inside selector housing itself. The housing has a little lever inside that slides the tcase main selector shaft forward and back about an inch. The selector shaft has a selector fork on it held in by one set screw. If the selector fork is loose, it could cause your problem. Or there could be damage to the selector shaft. I hope you find your problem at linkage. But if you dont, and like to wrench, I would take the case apart before I bought a new one. You can take the case apart without any special tools to access those inner parts. And as long as you dont change any bearings, it all goes back together again without anything special. Goodluck JP

Follow-up Post:

I once saw a link in www.spanishtrailrovers.com With good diagrams of the lt230
If you have a 97 ,I think your box is a lt230Q
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

ALL, Thanks for the info...I will finally get to tear into it tomorrow. (I work 12hr night shifts 4 nights a week) I will update this thread with my findings.

Larry
Old July 18th, 2004, 02:50 AM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

Thumbs up

After taking the center console out and getting my first ever look at the linkage to the Xfer case I could immediately see that it was simply a threaded shaft part of the linkage that had a nut fall off. I wanted to put a Ny-loc nut on it but the nut was too large to fit in that area. I ended up putting a lock washer and a liberal dose of threadlocker.That should hold....I hope. Much cheaper than replacing the Xfer case.

Larry

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions