Elite Air Conditioning Units - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 10th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

Elite Air Conditioning Units

Looking to pick up a new Elite A/C unit. Does anyone know if there's any reason a 97 unit can't be installed in a 95 D90 ST? This may sound dumb; but I like the 97 unit better (controls, Land Rover badge, etc...). But if harness, brackets, etc... are different, then probably not worth the hassle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2016, 02:40 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I don't see why you couldn't. The Elite/97 type are nice looking, but the older Wynn's and Diavia give you more room for your knees.
Old July 10th, 2016, 02:43 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

I used to feel the same way but got over the controls on the left. I've got a Lokar shifter and in a way it's better that the AC controls are no longer blocked in the center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2016, 02:55 PM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

Mine will stay manual (NV4500), so you think going with the Elite 95 model would be better?
Old July 10th, 2016, 03:31 PM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

I have a 1997 but I have been wondering if the new units that Rovers North sells perform better. On a hot day you barely get relief with the AC. Your knees are nice and cool while your back is sweating. And anyone in the back is dying.
Old July 10th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_eaze View Post
I have a 1997 but I have been wondering if the new units that Rovers North sells perform better. On a hot day you barely get relief with the AC. Your knees are nice and cool while your back is sweating. And anyone in the back is dying.
Perhaps you could install a new resistor pack (like this one?). Tgraham used the resistor on the new SPAL blower and he describes it as, ""Really Fast," "Ridiculously Fast," and "Category Five Hurricane."" I'm doing the same with mine. The '94 Diavia and '95 Wynn's A/C systems use the same blower. Perhaps the Elite does too. Here's the thread on the blower replacement: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ent-19420.html
Old July 11th, 2016, 09:06 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Elite has discontinued the Defender style units.
We just installed an AC setup from an earlier NAS 90 into a 1983 110 and it will blow out cold smoke, but doesn't freeze up.
Tuning an AC system is sometimes as difficult as tuning an engine.
We installed a new expansion valve and receiver dryer and hooked the cooling fan (Puller) and the AC fan (pusher) in sync so they both come on when the thermo switch demands engine cooling or the AC is in use.
Engine is 200TDI.

I think if your earlier NAS 90 AC isn't cooling to your expectations, then the performance can probably be improved.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 13th, 2016, 07:02 AM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

And yes, just discovered that the units Rovers North sells are not Elite's but are exclusively made for them. Does anyone have any experience with the Rovers North Units?
Old July 13th, 2016, 07:54 AM
chuckc4
chuck b

Ha, I have fond memories of a factory installed AC unit on my first NAS 90 -- it was like a very weak fog machine—although it was a very cold fog...

I have been in a Defender with the RN unit in it and it worked very well.

CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
We just installed an AC setup from an earlier NAS 90 into a 1983 110 and it will blow out cold smoke, but doesn't freeze up.
We installed a new expansion valve and receiver dryer and hooked the cooling fan (Puller) and the AC fan (pusher) in sync so they both come on when the thermo switch demands engine cooling or the AC is in use.
Engine is 200TDI.

I think if your earlier NAS 90 AC isn't cooling to your expectations, then the performance can probably be improved.
Old July 13th, 2016, 08:40 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

We want cold air now!
Am working on both LHD and RHD AC kits for the 200 & 300 TDI.
The last of the elite kits I bought were pretty poor quality and the fit was less than perfect.
They used the same metal piping for both RHD and LHD resulting in different union sections, so you ended up with these joints all over the place with thin wall aluminum tubing connected with compression unions.
Then it wasn't bent correctly and the thin tubing had to be annealed or it would kink when you did a proper fit while adjusting the bends.
The whole Elite installation took twice as long as it should have and was a pain in the ass, but at that time they were the only "game in town".
After vibration the connection joints in the aluminum tubing would sometimes weep refrigerantso they would need to be re-charged periodically.
FWIW, I understand the RN kits fixed all the Elite short comings, but that is hearsay because I have not installed one only talked to the sales folks there.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old July 13th, 2016, 08:58 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
I have an Elite. The thing is plenty cold, but drips condensation all over the passenger footwell. annoying

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 13th, 2016, 09:06 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I have an Elite. The thing is plenty cold, but drips condensation all over the passenger footwell. annoying
That is very disappointing for what they cost.
Old July 13th, 2016, 09:11 AM
ATX_D110
Victor
1985 RHD D110 (SOLD)

Quote:
We want cold air now! Am working on both LHD and RHD AC kits for the 200 & 300 TDI. The last of the elite kits I bought were pretty poor quality and the fit was less than perfect. They used the same metal piping for both RHD and LHD resulting in different union sections, so you ended up with these joints all over the place with thin wall aluminum tubing connected with compression unions. Then it wasn't bent correctly and the thin tubing had to be annealed or it would kink when you did a proper fit while adjusting the bends. The whole Elite installation took twice as long as it should have and was a pain in the ass, but at that time they were the only "game in town". After vibration the connection joints in the aluminum tubing would sometimes weep refrigerantso they would need to be re-charged periodically. FWIW, I understand the RN kits fixed all the Elite short comings, but that is hearsay because I have not installed one only talked to the sales folks there.
I would love to be included for 1 X RHD 300 Tdi when ready!!!
Old July 13th, 2016, 09:12 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Engine is 200TDI.

LDH 200TDI. Let me know when they are ready. Also those MB motor mounts. Get to work! J/K
Old July 13th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Does it not have a drain that should be piped outside?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 13th, 2016, 09:22 AM
bandmmgee
Mitch
1986 One Ten

I need a LHD 300tdi, but not sure how long I can wait. The Texas heat is brutal.
Old July 13th, 2016, 09:30 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
They do, but water runs out of the area where the lines run into the evaporator.
To seal it off you need to take the duct work down and seal it off every year or so.
There is also no box around the evaporator, just poorly fitting plastic.
Good design from the manufacturers point of view, being less complicated to mold.
Bad design when trapping and draining water... very bad.

Old July 13th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
it has the drain, and the drain does drain. I don't know where the hell the rest of the condensation is coming from. I've contorted myself to apply silicone all over the 2 lines coming into the underdash unit from the engine bay to seal it off.

------ Follow up post added July 13th, 2016 12:27 PM ------

Elite=wife's purse gets wet=unhappy wife=loss of empathy and support for maintenance issues

thanks alot Elite you cheap bastards

I compare this to NASA going with the lowest bidder for booster O-rings on the space shuttle

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 13th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Has anyone tried one of the kits Britpart supplies? It looks like the same exact thing RN sells.

DA2342L | Electrical Enhancements | Defender | Britpart
Old July 13th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

There are also Webasto Diavia kits available.

Model Year PS CIL C.C. H.P. Control Additional Kits P/N

DEFENDER 2.5 TDI D.94/H.98 SI 4 2495 121 Manual Webasto 621BL15100EB+623BL90C
DEFENDER 2.5 TDI TD5 D.99/H.06 SI 5 2495 120 Manual Webasto 621BL18800EB+623BL90C

According to this site below they are for left hand drive. From that site they are 2110.00 EUR plus shipping.

Parking heaters Webasto Eberspacher

It looks like this apparently. Pretty similar to the Diavia kit installed on 94 NAS D90s except the controls are on the fascia. A slimmer design for more knee room than the Elite/RN/Britpart ones so I'd probably go for one of these if I was buying a new one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions