Elite A/C hose P/Ns - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 27th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Cmikefly
William Challancin
97 NAS D90

Elite A/C hose P/Ns

Hi
Has anyone replaced the A/C hoses on a 97 SW? I have all the Land Rover part numbers but 2 of the hoses are back ordered with no ETA. I have checked with Elite and they cant or wont cross reference a LR number. They have asked me to look for an aluminum tag with the elite part# on it. The problem is im in Tanzania for a few weeks and would like to get the hoses ordered before I return to the UAE.
Does anyone know the Elite P/Ns for a full set of A/C hoses for a 1997 NAS D90? Any help is appreciated.
William

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 NAS D90
2005 110 TD5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2010, 08:44 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmikefly View Post
Hi
Has anyone replaced the A/C hoses on a 97 SW? I have all the Land Rover part numbers but 2 of the hoses are back ordered with no ETA. I have checked with Elite and they cant or wont cross reference a LR number. They have asked me to look for an aluminum tag with the elite part# on it. The problem is im in Tanzania for a few weeks and would like to get the hoses ordered before I return to the UAE.
Does anyone know the Elite P/Ns for a full set of A/C hoses for a 1997 NAS D90? Any help is appreciated.
William
Sadly, a number of the 97 NAS/Japanese spec D90 AC hoses are now NLA. Land Rover has them on back order, but they come from Elite, and Elite has none left with no plans to remake them, so the back order will never be filled. I have the Elite/Rover cross over numbers so drop me an email and I'll check to see what hoses can be found for you, but do be aware you can not get all the hoses, just some of them.
We are the Elite authorized US dealer.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:56 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
AC hoses are just AC hoses. Nothing magic there. They can even be replaced with hard lines, as long as there is a segment of rubber somewhere in the run that will absorb vibration. Usually they are made of aluminum tube, but I think steel will work as well as copper or even cupro nickel (monel). The fittings are usually standard 37 degree flare.
If you absolutely have no other choice, order the braided hose and AC fittings from Jeg's and make up your own. they have metric as well.
I can't believe that in the UAE there aren't any AC repair people who can make the hoses up to fit. That's what they did for the original fitment.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2010, 09:36 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
AC hoses are just AC hoses. Nothing magic there. They can even be replaced with hard lines, as long as there is a segment of rubber somewhere in the run that will absorb vibration. Usually they are made of aluminum tube, but I think steel will work as well as copper or even cupro nickel (monel). The fittings are usually standard 37 degree flare.
If you absolutely have no other choice, order the braided hose and AC fittings from Jeg's and make up your own. they have metric as well.
I can't believe that in the UAE there aren't any AC repair people who can make the hoses up to fit. That's what they did for the original fitment.
Well, yes and no.
In early systems like the NAS 110 has it is all just #8 and #10 fittings and you can make this that or the other thing, as that system was made in the USA by Wynns (way back when).
However, in the later systems the fittings on the compressor are unique and have specific bends to clear the engine, and are not the easy to source #8 and #10 style fittings, etc. There are certainly ways to remove the old rubber portion of the hose and put new rubber on if need be, but don't think this is as easy as going to NAPA and having it done on a '97 D90. The hose used is a metric ID and nothing from standard US sources will crimp onto it correctly (ask me how I know that... ). Doable, yes. Easy... not really on the 97s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09658.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	24738  

Old January 27th, 2010, 09:51 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I blew an AC line in my 110 that was NLA. Crazy how when it blew the cloud of smoke caused by the freon leaking out. The Rover shop I took it to made me a new. I think they sent the line out to a shop who does that crap.
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:01 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I blew an AC line in my 110 that was NLA. Crazy how when it blew the cloud of smoke caused by the freon leaking out. The Rover shop I took it to made me a new. I think they sent the line out to a shop who does that crap.
Yup, the 110 ones are much easier. We repair those in house as well.
We stock all the NAS 110 AC lines in case you ever need one that can't be repaired.

The smoke is from the oil in the system (an AC system has both gas and oil in it). It makes a huge mess.

Old January 27th, 2010, 10:15 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
Sadly, a number of the 97 NAS/Japanese spec D90 AC hoses are now NLA. Land Rover has them on back order, but they come from Elite, and Elite has none left with no plans to remake them, so the back order will never be filled. I have the Elite/Rover cross over numbers so drop me an email and I'll check to see what hoses can be found for you, but do be aware you can not get all the hoses, just some of them.
We are the Elite authorized US dealer.
Well that is not good news. If the numbers made sense is that something you could fabricate? Not having AC would not be fun - and I can't see going the whole hot rod Vintage Air route...
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:24 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM View Post
Well that is not good news. If the numbers made sense is that something you could fabricate? Not having AC would not be fun - and I can't see going the whole hot rod Vintage Air route...
We (and other places I'm sure) will be able to rebuild your current hoses with new rubber sections if needed, so wouldn't worry too much.
If you damage the alloy ends that would be a problem if they could not be easily repaired.

The costs to get new runs of the hoses made is far too much, no one would pay it, but yes, we do have all the templates and can have new hoses made down the line if demand is there.

These systems are 13 years old now and they won't see parts support any longer (I don't agree with that but it isn't my call to make). I bought out everything Elite had for NAS 90 hoses/part and sadly, it wasn't very much.

Old January 27th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Cmikefly
William Challancin
97 NAS D90

Mike,
Email sent. thank you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 NAS D90
2005 110 TD5

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions