Electronic Rust Protection Systems? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 27th, 2016, 07:09 AM
Gibson
Al
None

Electronic Rust Protection Systems?

Electronic Rust Protection system. Anyone ever use one.. thoughts? Seems like it would be a good option with the steel / aluminum situation with the Defenders.

------ Follow up post added July 27th, 2016 06:14 AM ------

Q. Will the ERPS system work on Land Rovers or other vehicles with aluminium panels to prevent bimetallic (dissimilar metal) galvanic corrosion?

A: With aluminium panels the system works in exactly the same manner as with a steel panel, slowing the oxidisation process. As long as the aluminium is painted the system will set up a negative charge on that panel. Wherever two or more dissimilar metals come in contact with each other in the presence of an electrolyte (eg: water), a small galvanic cell is produced causing rapid acceleration of corrosion. This is the case with the Land Rover where you have both steel and aluminium in close proximity, the system will however counteract this effect by inducing a negative charge to work against the galvanic reaction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2016, 07:40 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
As long as the panel is painted. Well that's the problem. The NAS panels were not prepped correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 27th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Matt_110
Matt

It's a scam....I remember reading about this a couple years ago. If you do enough research via the google machine, you'll find the science (or lack thereof) about these systems in an automobile application. I think Aulro and Landyzone had some posts about it as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Gibson
Al
None

1of40, I'm new the the defender world. Could you possibly expand on this issue or a link? I'm traveling this Sunday to close a deal on a 98 110 imported and landed here (Canada) from Germany. UK market built, would these trucks also have the same paint prep issue?
Thanks for the reply.

------ Follow up post added July 27th, 2016 08:08 AM ------

Thanks Matt, I'll have a look there also.
Old July 27th, 2016, 10:25 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson View Post
1of40, I'm new the the defender world. Could you possibly expand on this issue or a link? I'm traveling this Sunday to close a deal on a 98 110 imported and landed here (Canada) from Germany. UK market built, would these trucks also have the same paint prep issue?
Thanks for the reply.

------ Follow up post added July 27th, 2016 08:08 AM ------

Thanks Matt, I'll have a look there also.
The short story is LR did not prep the surfaces where aluminum and steel touch, very well if at all in some circumstances. As a result the different metals don't coexist well over time and the aluminum deteriorates. Google land rover galvanic corrosion to get a whole plethora of additional info.

I don't personally know if the 98's ROWs have more or less of an issue but suspect they probably do. The thing you probably want to be aware of is that sanding and prepping the surface for paint can hide this stuff. If the truck you are looking at has been repainted "Buyer Beware".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 27th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I have heard of the electronic systems creating more of a problem if everything isn't grounded properly. The best way to stop the galvanic corrosion is to isolate dis-similar metals.

Land Rover used very little paint on the inside of the front fenders to almost nothing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions