Electronic Rust Protection - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 12th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Wow, good timing George.

I just received the HLR-4 model on Friday. I have not mounted anything yet. The kit comes with 4 capacitive couplers. The plan so far is 1- engine bay front passenger side corner, 2- driver side A pillar as close to the floor as I can get it, 3 - rear door latch post (D?) passenger side as high as I can get it, and 4 on the rear most pillar, driver side, in the middle.

Like most frames, mine is grounded to the battery and body shell in front , on the passenger side rail THe diesel engine's starter mount bolt is grounded on the other rail. The back seat belt anchors also connect the frame and the body shell "electrically".

Counteract recommends that the couplers be placed as close to where the "galvanic corrosion" is occuring or most likely occurs - at contact points of aluminum and steel. I wouldn't mind having a few more couplers to attache to all the posts the doors hinge off, but counteract seems to know the four will be more than enough for body shell, panels, and frame.

COunteract told me if I wanted more couplers, the unit I have could easily handle a few more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Yes...great timing...I'm going to mount mine this week (vacation)...I think I will also mount a bolt or something without zinc coating to the truck to see what happens to it...please report back on your progress or lack of same!
George
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Oh, You have one. Sorry for posting all the info. Good Idea to have test bolt .

I was thinking, the radiator and axles, and a few other parts do not seem to be "grounded". Should I be grounding these parts?

Enjoy your vacaction!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Hi,

I have been watching this post with interest - I had never heard of this technology. For those that have purchases it, and those that are buying it - are your vehicles and chassis in perfect condition???

I have some rust on my rear cross member (worst), and back 1/3 of my chassis. The Front 2/3 does not look that bad. I posted a tread a couple months ago - and people told me that I should save for a galv. Chassis.

My shop says I have good structural integrity in my chassis NOW - and I probably have another 3-5 years at least - then they could buy me more time with patches - then I would eventually need this chassis swap.

SO - it is hard for me to believe that something that cost a fraction of a chassis swap would stop rust? Would it stop my chassis from further rusting (or once rust has started is there no stopping it). If it works so well - it would seem like we should all have gotten these a long time ago????

Flagg
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:41 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
SO - it is hard for me to believe that something that cost a fraction of a chassis swap would stop rust? Would it stop my chassis from further rusting (or once rust has started is there no stopping it). If it works so well - it would seem like we should all have gotten these a long time ago????
Seems to be because no one really spent time testing this to prove it really works and previous attempts to build such solution failed. People lost confidence and don't want to spend $400 (can't remember what the "special" price was) for nothing (and the time to install it).
Or maybe I'm just talking about myself.....
Anyway, can't wait to read about the results of those experiment and the state of the test bolt after the winter!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
funny you all had to add electronics, mine came with rust protection as an option from the factory. Leaky swivels really make a big mess, not to mention the rear output shaft seal on the transfer box.
Mine didn't come with the option of chassis auto-lube, so I end up having to manually do it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Leaky .. rear output shaft seal on the transfer box.
Actually that one is bad and render the emergency brake un-useable....
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old August 13th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Maybe our axles are "grounded" via the drive shafts coming from the T-case, coming from the gearbox, coming from the engine which is definetly grounded!

1000 points of light coming together?
Old August 13th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Michael...I just got the kit...haven't installed yet...i was wondering exactly where you stuck the square patches...also, Flagg, I've got some minor surface rust on the frame but nothing serious anywhere...indeed, we shall see what happens after the Chicago Salt Fest known as winter...
Old August 13th, 2007, 01:29 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
Maybe our axles are "grounded" via the drive shafts coming from the T-case, coming from the gearbox, coming from the engine which is definetly grounded!

1000 points of light coming together?
And the radiator is grounded by the water that runs around the system!
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old August 13th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Is that true? Does distilled water with anti-freeze conduct electricity?
Old August 13th, 2007, 03:48 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
Is that true? Does distilled water with anti-freeze conduct electricity?
I don't know and should have added a smiley.
Do people really use distilled water or plain water?
I would not think anti-freeze conducts electricity, but then there is so much "stuff" in it that this would not surprise me.
I'll give it a try next time I have my ohmmeter next to the truck!
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

I confess, I used bottled water with the anti-freeze - I think it came from Maine - Poland Springs distilled?
Old August 15th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

George, How is the installation going?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions