Defender Source Forum banner

electrical short right side lights

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  thewap 
#1 ·
My side lights blinked out, and the right side lights fuse keeps blowing. So at least I know approx. where the short is.
I read on the forum some of the threads on shorts. There was some good advice on replacing the connectors on the harness side. My question is this: Does corrosion in the connectors cause the fuse to blow, or will it just cause the bulbs
to not fire up?

Thanks for any help.

#4 · (Edited)
Ok,so I found some reference to the trailer wiring in the manual. Eyeballing the D90, it looks like the trailer wiring starts at a connection point from the right side lights portion of the harness, then connect to a box (60 amp fuse box?) over the right rear wheel. where should I disconnect the wiring from, as to not incur future shorts?

Follow-up Post:

follow up: obviously the connection right outside of the fuse box..?

#5 ·
I would start at the actual part you connect to the trailer and visually inspect for any shorts first.
2 weeks ago, I took off my rear bumper, when I reinstalled it I smashed all 4 of the wires and caused a big short. There may be some obvious place before you disconnect things..

#6 ·
OK, will do.l

Follow-up Post:

Well, I disconnected the trailer rplug at the fuse box, and so far after 4 starts, no fuses blowing. Looking at the trailer plug, the sockets look pretty corroded. Right now the rear side light and side marker lamps are working. The other right hand side lights to the front have no bulbs, as they blew. (ordered new ones.)

So far so good, and thankful to you guys for helping. (D90 Source rocks!)
Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.