Electrical Question #2: High Beams turns off after 15 min. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 25th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Electrical Question #2: High Beams turns off after 15 min.

I have a pair of Auxiliary Hellas hooked up to my standard driving driving lights. They are off normally but when I switch the driving lights to High Beam the Auxiliary also turns on. They run fine for about 15 minutes then all four switch off. If I am out driving in the woods it just goes pitch black. Low beams work fine after that happens but if I turn on high beams again they last for a second then switch off (black). If I try again, same result. Low beams ok but high beam off after 1 second. Any idea what is causing this? Being an electrical newbie I am guessing a relay? I don't think it is a loose wire because it is pretty consistent, it doesn't happen randomly. It's not a fuse. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 25th, 2010, 09:58 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
The headlight switch has the tendency to burn out/melt. Did you put everything relay-operated? Anyway, I'd check the switch first.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I didn't install it myself. It is operated by the standard headlight switch lever to the left of the steering wheel. Do you think this one is burnt out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
The headlight switch has the tendency to burn out/melt. Did you put everything relay-operated? Anyway, I'd check the switch first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2010, 09:06 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
The best approach here is to ensure the auxiliary lights are operated by a relay - if they aren't then they should be! It's common for switches to fail due to the overloading extra lights cause. The switch on the left is the one likely to burn out ...

have you tried disconnecting the auxiliary lights to see if it still fails after 15mins?
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:31 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Ther headlight switch is barely enough for the stock lights. Without any upgrade to the lights, mine burnt, so any additional load on it is subject to creating problems. Like Jason said, confirm that the Hella lights are powered by a relay. Check the switch... two bolts to remove to check it. You can remove the plastic (black?) cover from it and see the state of the "circuit board" in there.
I still plan, at some point, to make my headlights powered by a relay as well. I read somewhere, that, not only does this save the switch (which was the idea of course), but that will actually allow the stock lights to be brighter by just upgrading the wires to a larger size/allowing more amps to reach the bulbs (that's a really good added benefit! ). Somewhere, there is a plug and play kit, I might do that or do it on my own. Automative electrical components are cheap enough and easy to work with, "just" need time.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:35 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

I'm pretty sure the Defenders do not have relays on the headlights from the factory. That's why it's so common to burn a switch out. If the other auxiliary lights are also wired into the headlight wiring harness somehow, this could explain the issue. Even if the auxiliary lights are wired with something like the Hella wiring harness with a relay, it's still putting additional strain on the already shitty Defender wiring configuration.

Step one would be to buy an ARB or Painless Wiring headlight wiring harness. They run between $100.00 and $160.00, depending on which one you get. IMO the Painless Wiring wiring harness is better and uses better relays. But either harness will fix the Defenders issue. Every Defender should have this kit, regardless.

Second, if you've got the extra dollars, go ahead and order a replacement headlight switch. I'm not sure that you need it, yet, but it's not a bad thing to have laying around.
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I think all of you are correct. The previous owner upgraded the stock lights to new bulbs (halogen I think) and glass. I bet he didn't upgrade the wiring harness. Add a pair of aux Hellas to that and you'll have problems (even though the hella harness has a relay).

I'm going to get a painless harness and a new switch just in case. I have a feeling that I have lots of oddball electrical gremlins like this to sort out.

Thanks for your help!
Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:04 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Painless have several different headlight wiring harnesses. They all look the same but they cost different. How do I know which one to pick for my Defender?
Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:16 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Has anyone made a harness for the their truck? I know that the upgraded harness is pretty and a neat package but they are also $100+. It would seem that someone could make their own for half that easily...relays are cheap and easy, as are the headlight connectors. It seems the only item that is not readily available is the male plug that they typically have to plug into your existing headlight socket.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:38 AM
PaulMc
Paul McConnell
1989 110 2.5 Turbo-Diesel

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Has anyone made a harness for the their truck? I know that the upgraded harness is pretty and a neat package but they are also $100+. It would seem that someone could make their own for half that easily...relays are cheap and easy, as are the headlight connectors. It seems the only item that is not readily available is the male plug that they typically have to plug into your existing headlight socket.

You can get them from Jim Davis at Eastern Beaver -

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...onnectors.html

He does them with or without tails -

Name:   H4couplernew.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  7.8 KB
Name:   H4plug1.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  29.7 KB

1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'

Old September 4th, 2010, 11:03 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
I had made one for my previous D90, will be doing it for the new one soon... It took an afternoon and cost 30$ with stuff from a local electronics supply store. Just splice in to the existing headlights and re-used the same connectors running off 20A bosh relays + holders (bought in bulk) with 12ga wiring (also in bulk) and some fuses (+ fuse holder). Use a little tape and a lot of heat-shrink tubing to make a clean setup. Very simple, very cheap.

On the next install, I plan to put the relays in tupperware for wading.
Old September 5th, 2010, 09:37 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

The Hella 4-relay box makes it pretty easy, then it's just a matter of mounting that and running fused power to it, I'm running one relay for low and one for high but there is also a design that uses 4 and makes things more fault-tolerant in the case of a single relay failure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old September 25th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

So my headlight switch broke. The big question now is, should i get the genuine part for 4x the price or cheap option at 11 GBP? Does it matter, quality-wise for electrical components?
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:08 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I burnt out two headlight switches before finally putting in relays. I can confirm what said below is true - it saves the switch, and the headlights are noticeably brighter.

It's not that hard a job, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
Ther headlight switch is barely enough for the stock lights. Without any upgrade to the lights, mine burnt, so any additional load on it is subject to creating problems. Like Jason said, confirm that the Hella lights are powered by a relay. Check the switch... two bolts to remove to check it. You can remove the plastic (black?) cover from it and see the state of the "circuit board" in there.
I still plan, at some point, to make my headlights powered by a relay as well. I read somewhere, that, not only does this save the switch (which was the idea of course), but that will actually allow the stock lights to be brighter by just upgrading the wires to a larger size/allowing more amps to reach the bulbs (that's a really good added benefit! ). Somewhere, there is a plug and play kit, I might do that or do it on my own. Automative electrical components are cheap enough and easy to work with, "just" need time.
Old September 27th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I am definitely going to follow that advice when I install my new switch. I will rewire everything. Andrew, is this the relay box? http://www.expeditionexchange.com/ca...roductid=19186

Should the aux Hellas and main headlights run in parallell up to the switch or fuse box if I want the aux hellas only to come on when I use the main headlight highbeams?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical