Defender Source Forum banner

Electrical problems 1989 110

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  nathanwind 
#1 ·
I have this recent electrical problem with my 1989 110 SW LHD. The turn signals stopped working and the dash gauges except for speedo are dead also. Horn works, lights work, wipers are dead.

The emergency signals only work when I flip the turn signal signal stalk to either left or right (up or down). In my search online I found a thread post on a UK forum from someone with that exact issue but no solution was given.

I've been looking for a ground fault but no luck yet. Anyone have a specific location on where to look?

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Turn signals (technically via hazards), dash gauges are on the same fuse (speedo, since it's on a mechanical connection, would still work even with a fuse out). Did you check there?

I was plugging in a new switch plate for my hazards today on the 1988, and blew a fuse myself...which is how I discovered this since my signals & dash gauges went out and I had to scratch my head for a moment before I realized what happened.

#5 ·
Actually this is damn good advice. Mine initially was a bit "sporadic"...and while I did not replace it yet, I did clean all of the connectors as some had a nice coaring of grime on them. I also replaced all the glass fuses with new glass fuses...but really the better move would have been as Doug recommended. I still plan/need to do it regardless.

#6 ·
I checked out and cleaned the fuses. They're still the glass ones and replacing them with blades is probably best but for now I'd like the truck to pass the safety inspection so I can drive it without issues.

I'll test out the flasher relay next. It might just be the issue. When I just flipped the turn signal stalk it sounded like a weak click and stopped.

#7 ·
The fuse flips & clips that carry current have become oxidized and weak to a point where they won't carry a load.
The connectivity will be intermittent from here on out effected by all sorts of external factors like humidity and temperature.
Your fastest solution is to install new fuse boxes.
I use the spade type fuses with spade wire connections on each side.
Be sure and solder your connections as a crimp on is a fire waiting to happen.

#9 ·
OK so you give good advice... no one will dispute the facts.
The best advice you gave me and Jonsey was to open a bottle of Morgado and pass it around.
Muthalikka!

#11 ·
Cleaning the contacts of the hazard switch solved the problem were the hazards were only functioning with the signal stalk up or down. Even the little light in the switch itself works again.

The gauges, wipers and turn signals all caused by the ignition switch. Cleaned up the connectors and that was that.

Thanks all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.