Electrical problems 1989 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 2nd, 2015, 08:38 PM
tijnes
Martijn

Electrical problems 1989 110

I have this recent electrical problem with my 1989 110 SW LHD. The turn signals stopped working and the dash gauges except for speedo are dead also. Horn works, lights work, wipers are dead.

The emergency signals only work when I flip the turn signal signal stalk to either left or right (up or down). In my search online I found a thread post on a UK forum from someone with that exact issue but no solution was given.

I've been looking for a ground fault but no luck yet. Anyone have a specific location on where to look?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2015, 08:44 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijnes View Post
I have this recent electrical problem with my 1989 110 SW LHD. The turn signals stopped working and the dash gauges except for speedo are dead also. Horn works, lights work, wipers are dead.

The emergency signals only work when I flip the turn signal signal stalk to either left or right (up or down). In my search online I found a thread post on a UK forum from someone with that exact issue but no solution was given.

I've been looking for a ground fault but no luck yet. Anyone have a specific location on where to look?

Thanks
Turn signals (technically via hazards), dash gauges are on the same fuse (speedo, since it's on a mechanical connection, would still work even with a fuse out). Did you check there?

I was plugging in a new switch plate for my hazards today on the 1988, and blew a fuse myself...which is how I discovered this since my signals & dash gauges went out and I had to scratch my head for a moment before I realized what happened.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:18 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Turn signals (technically via hazards), dash gauges are on the same fuse (speedo, since it's on a mechanical connection, would still work even with a fuse out). Did you check there?

I was plugging in a new switch plate for my hazards today on the 1988, and blew a fuse myself...which is how I discovered this since my signals & dash gauges went out and I had to scratch my head for a moment before I realized what happened.
I had a very similar issue with a bad ground combined with a bad flasher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:23 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If you have the old glass tube fuses start by replacing your fuse box with the later blade type.
After decades of dealing those I just eradicate them now.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:26 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
If you have the old glass tube fuses start by replacing your fuse box with the later blade type.
After decades of dealing those I just eradicate them now.
Actually this is damn good advice. Mine initially was a bit "sporadic"...and while I did not replace it yet, I did clean all of the connectors as some had a nice coaring of grime on them. I also replaced all the glass fuses with new glass fuses...but really the better move would have been as Doug recommended. I still plan/need to do it regardless.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:33 PM
tijnes
Martijn

I checked out and cleaned the fuses. They're still the glass ones and replacing them with blades is probably best but for now I'd like the truck to pass the safety inspection so I can drive it without issues.

I'll test out the flasher relay next. It might just be the issue. When I just flipped the turn signal stalk it sounded like a weak click and stopped.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 10:04 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

The fuse flips & clips that carry current have become oxidized and weak to a point where they won't carry a load.
The connectivity will be intermittent from here on out effected by all sorts of external factors like humidity and temperature.
Your fastest solution is to install new fuse boxes.
I use the spade type fuses with spade wire connections on each side.
Be sure and solder your connections as a crimp on is a fire waiting to happen.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 2nd, 2015, 10:27 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Actually this is damn good advice.
Just an attempt to spare others a painful lesson learned over dozens of hours laying on the floor of defenders with emory cloth trying to bring, what was crap when new, back to life.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 2nd, 2015, 11:42 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

OK so you give good advice... no one will dispute the facts.
The best advice you gave me and Jonsey was to open a bottle of Morgado and pass it around.
Muthalikka!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 3rd, 2015, 12:17 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
OK so you give good advice... no one will dispute the facts.
The best advice you gave me and Jonsey was to open a bottle of Morgado and pass it around.
Muthalikka!
Scots and Aussies drinking heavily.

Result was Jonesy teaching Trey what a spent whipped cream can in the fire does, by example.

Even Trey thinks Jonesy is crazy now.

You missed all that because you drank my bottle of port (in my absence) and then went and passed out.

Good memories.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 8th, 2015, 04:39 PM
tijnes
Martijn

Cleaning the contacts of the hazard switch solved the problem were the hazards were only functioning with the signal stalk up or down. Even the little light in the switch itself works again.

The gauges, wipers and turn signals all caused by the ignition switch. Cleaned up the connectors and that was that.

Thanks all!
Old March 8th, 2015, 05:53 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijnes View Post
Cleaning the contacts of the hazard switch solved the problem were the hazards were only functioning with the signal stalk up or down. Even the little light in the switch itself works again.

The gauges, wipers and turn signals all caused by the ignition switch. Cleaned up the connectors and that was that.

Thanks all!
Do yourself a bigger favor and swap it for a Carling Hazard!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, electrical, problems