Electrical Problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 5th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Electrical Problem

I am researching this problem right now...and its going to be a hunting expedition.

So before I reinstalled my center console I started my 90 and it fired right up. Yesterday I got everything buttoned up and all went fine. I did not start my truck. This morning I decided to take a run in to Austin to put some miles on because the trucks been basically sitting for three weeks.

Put the key in and got the chime. Turned on the ignition and nothing...I thought the battery might be drained, so having a dual system I flipped to the back up and nothing...still no start. So I put the auto in neutral turned the key and it started. The low battery idiot light was on. So I hit the highway with AAA card in hand. While driving I noticed the tach, temp, and speedo including the odometer are dead. The fuel gage was working but not accurately. The clock was/is running. The windshield wipers will only work on hi speed and the sprayers do work. the battery idiot light stayed on although dimly the whole round trip.

So I get to Austin and shut the 90 down do my business and the same thing all over again. The truck runs fine when she started...I made it home after a repeat of the first event. The only thing I can thing of is that while putting the center console back in I popped a fuse out or something. I'm looking for the diagram now but haven't located one for a 97SW D90 yet.

It's not likely to be the batteries...something's blown or shorted to take out those gauges...going out to check fuses now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2013, 02:44 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I would start by checking under / around the console for pinched wires or a bad ground.
Old May 5th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

ok I figured it out...so it was throwing 3 codes. 2 for a fuel level sensor circuit malfunction and 1 for vehicle speed sensor circuit malfunction. So I'm thinking the likelihood of both of those going, especially since I've replaced them BOTH in the last 6 months is unlikely. As it turned out while putting the console back I worked free three blade fuses on the top bank...I'm thinking...Dumb Ass...and then I was grateful it was only that! Everything is working fine now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2013, 04:48 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Those fuse blade connectors easily come free. I had a similar hard to diagnose problem because of a loose fuse blade female connector. It was lightly touching the fuse so that the problem was intermittent.

IMO this is a design flaw of the fuse box.
Old May 5th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sro View Post
Those fuse blade connectors easily come free. I had a similar hard to diagnose problem because of a loose fuse blade female connector. It was lightly touching the fuse so that the problem was intermittent.

IMO this is a design flaw of the fuse box.
yeah...age is probably a contributing factor also. It's a bad access point.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical