Electrical Power Drain - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 29th, 2008, 10:36 PM
JimKo
Jim Kochenderfer
1994 D90

Electrical Power Drain

'94 D90 ST. My battery went dead with the Rover sitting in the garage for a few weeks. I thought that was odd so I connected a meter and found that I have .031 amps of power draw with the key off, lights off, and doors shut. I started pulling fuses to determine what was pulling juice and how much...the radio, clock and ECU were pulling not much, only .019 amps. More than I would expect, but .019 amps on a 55 amp hour battery is over 120 days of storage. Here's what I don't get. The hazard flashers are the power robbers, with the hazard flasher fuse pulled, the ECU, radio, and clock are pulling .019 amps. But put the hazard flasher fuse in (complete with tiny sparks) and the power draw goes up to .031 amps. The power draw stays at .031 amps even if I disconnect the hazard flasher switch at the dash and/or disconnect the flasher down behind the fuse box. So my question is, why are the hazard flashers pulling juice when they sit there quiet and off? Anyone have any ideas beyond some strange wiring damage that I'll probably never be able to find?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2008, 01:59 AM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Any time I leave my Rover sitting for an extended period, the battery dies. I've never been able to figure it out either...

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Tom Morrison
Tom Morrison
94 NAS 90 (300 TDI)

30 mA is about right, one guy i tried to help out had his radio wired in wrong so it was drawing around 0.2 amps with the key off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 1st, 2009, 06:52 PM
JimKo
Jim Kochenderfer
1994 D90

After pulling fuses and watching my meter, I have learned the following about power consumption with the key off. The amp draw for the following items is/are.....
Radio - .001 amps
ECU - .011 amps
Clock - .009 amps
Circuit F2 - .012 amps
And, after studying wiring diagrams, as near as I can tell, circuit F2 is hazard flashers, radio constant power, Service Reminder Unit, and Chime unit. I'm still struggling with this problem but I think I have eliminated everything except the chime unit. Anyone know if there would be any detrimental effects to just unplugging this thing that never seems to chime anyway?
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:49 PM
JimKo
Jim Kochenderfer
1994 D90

This post hasn't generated much interest, but just in case someone searches some day, I'll put in the relevant topics:

Dead Battery
Audible Warning System Circuit
Hazard Flasher Circuit
Emission Reminder Unit
Service Reminder Unit EM1
Warning Buzzer Unit AW6

I was able to isolate my excessive power drain to the Warning Buzzer Unit, screwed to the underside of the top of the dash behind the instrument binnacle. Like the Service Reminder Unit, it gets it's power from the Hazard Flasher fuse/circuit. Since it has never dinged, buzzed, or chimed from the day I have owned this D-90 I can only assume that it has failed internally in some way I have yet to figure out (and now no longer care about). Since a new one is $137.78, I'm not terribly motivated about replacing it. I have unplugged it and removed it and I don't see any noticeable effects, except my seat belt warning lamp on the dash is no longer illuminated when I first turn the key. And my numbers on the ECU voltage may have been a bit premature. After several minutes the power consumed by the ECU drops off to only .001 amps. So, key off, doors closed, lights off, that's .001 amps for the ECU, .001 amps for the radio and .009 amps for the clock, or a total of .011 amps. With a fully charged 55 Amp hour battery, that's 208 days.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:36 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

So it was the chimer?
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:54 AM
JimKo
Jim Kochenderfer
1994 D90

it was the chimer. the chime unit is now laying on my workbench and since it's disconnected, my power drain troubles are over.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Very interesting. I haven't been driving my D90 much and found something was draining the battery pretty rapidly (within a few days). The second time it happened I found my ARB compressor engaged when hooked up the trickle charger and it was a bad relay - cover came off and it rusted. I haven't had a chance to check it since, but I've been out of town for a few weeks so will be able to see if that was my only problem or not. If my battery is dead when I get home I'll need to hunt down my draw as well. I'll check everything you mentioned and report back.
Old May 17th, 2009, 05:58 PM
d90xjay
J Phillips
1997 D90 SW

I am having the same issue. If I don't drive my 90 for a few days and try to go start it, the battery is always dead. So far I have been through a new alternator (old one would scream and whine so it need replaced anyway), 2 red top Oltima batteries, now I am on a generic Costco battery. The issue was happening before the alternator was replaced, the battery is getting charged since if I drive it daily it will start the next day. So I know the battery is getting charged. The problem is there is some sort of vampire power draw that is draining my battery.

Where are you all testing the amp draw? At the batter terminals themselves, or at the key swtich? Is the key actually in the ingition in the off position or no key in the ingnition? This is so fustrating tracking down why my batteries keep dieing.
Old May 17th, 2009, 05:59 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Just test draw at all the fuses.
Old May 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I would with any aftermarket stuff on the truck. In my experience they are most commonly the cause of mystery power drains.
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:50 AM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

obviously important to find the site of the drain but all good reasons to install a battery cut-off switch.
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

Also check for a high level of grease (from leaky valve covers and other gaskets) around the terminal post on your starter. Regular grease and oil grime can conduct electricity and it is possible to have a current leak from the positive terminal post on the starter to ground.
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:08 PM
TheBeast
Dane Block
1994 D-90 #1440

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKo
This post hasn't generated much interest, but just in case someone searches some day, I'll put in the relevant topics:

Dead Battery
Audible Warning System Circuit
Hazard Flasher Circuit
Emission Reminder Unit
Service Reminder Unit EM1
Warning Buzzer Unit AW6

I was able to isolate my excessive power drain to the Warning Buzzer Unit, screwed to the underside of the top of the dash behind the instrument binnacle. Like the Service Reminder Unit, it gets it's power from the Hazard Flasher fuse/circuit. Since it has never dinged, buzzed, or chimed from the day I have owned this D-90 I can only assume that it has failed internally in some way I have yet to figure out (and now no longer care about). Since a new one is $137.78, I'm not terribly motivated about replacing it. I have unplugged it and removed it and I don't see any noticeable effects, except my seat belt warning lamp on the dash is no longer illuminated when I first turn the key. And my numbers on the ECU voltage may have been a bit premature. After several minutes the power consumed by the ECU drops off to only .001 amps. So, key off, doors closed, lights off, that's .001 amps for the ECU, .001 amps for the radio and .009 amps for the clock, or a total of .011 amps. With a fully charged 55 Amp hour battery, that's 208 days.
I have a drain problem as well as far as I know. After reading what you talked about, I checked the Hazard Flasher fuse and it was blown. Can a blown fuse cause a drain?
Old July 5th, 2009, 04:07 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I continue to have a battery drain problem, sometimes it takes a week or more to drain, but I've had it happen in a few days, and even overnight. This morning was the last straw so I broke out the multi-meter and I have a 3 amp draw!

I disconnected a separate power distribution panel that powers the radio and some accessories and there was no noticeable change (keeping in mind I'm dealing with 3 order of magnitude more draw than anyone else even cares about).

I pulled each fuse and even the relays, and no difference.

So I popped the head and the alternator was quite warm (but no noise - the last one hummed). This alternator is a recent replacement and I don't think it's possible to miss wire one. It seems to charge fine when running.

Anyone have any idea how to track down the problem. I can take the alternator in to advance, but I'm not sure they can tell if this is bad or not, and what if they say it's good? Could I have a short somewhere else that could cause these symptoms?

Thanks,
charles
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:35 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Whats an acceptable level of draw? My battery dies overnight. Just bought a brand new one last night and it was dead this morning. Nothing more frustrating then getting up to go to work and hearing click click click when you try to start your car especially after just replacing the battery. All my neighbors look at me like dude why cant you just buy a normal car like everyone else?!

Oh any suggestions on the kind of meter I should buy to test this? And according to Ron I should not test for the draw at the battery?
Old December 18th, 2009, 09:22 PM
d90xjay
J Phillips
1997 D90 SW

I got so sick of my battery dying. I never was able to figure out what was causing the drain. I decided to go the route of a battery disconnect switch. However the idea of lifting up the seat sliding out the cover to turn the switch back on seemed like a pain. I looked around and found this device called the Battery Brain. I finished installing it tonight. It's basically just a relay that automatically disconnects the battery circuit when it detects voltage drop to certain level. (for all you out there worrying if it cuts power if you are driving down the highway and a voltage drop it detected, it won't as a wire lead that is connected to ACC power source will prevent this) But the big thing I liked about it is that it comes with a remote switch i can mount up on the dash that engages or disconnects the battery. So when I shut my Rover off and get out I hold down the button for a few seconds and it disconnects, when I get back in the next time I drive my Rover I press the button again and it reconnects power from the battery. I hope this will save the countless times I have had to jump my battery.
Old December 21st, 2009, 09:14 AM
dbwitt
Darrin Witt
1995 Defender 90

Chimer

I have had my D-90 for seven years. One day I started hearing a chime go off. Lasted about a week then went away. Just part of the experience I suspect. Have not heard it again.
Old March 24th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Any experience with http://www.prioritystart.com/ .

Battery keeps draining. Noticed Battery Brain is somewhat hard to find?
Old March 24th, 2013, 09:11 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Draining a battery overnight means significant current draw. Should be enough to detect with an ammeter in series with the positive post on the battery. I am guessing 1 to 1.5A at least. If you can't hear the energy being dissipated then it is radiating away as visible light or heat.

Notice any bad corrosion anywhere on the body?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
drain, electrical