Electrical Power Drain - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 24th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

I had this aluminum heat shield wrapped around my starter, and as a result of it wandering off the starter, was grounding the BIG cable to the starter. Talk about amp draw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2013, 02:07 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

(Not defender related) mine draw was due to the window ECU on my Disco 1, thanks Trevor. Short term I used a blade-style cutoff on the negative terminal.

Few things are as irritating as trying to find a consistent current draw
Old March 26th, 2013, 03:59 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
Few things are as irritating as trying to find a consistent current draw
Try finding an inconsistent current draw.

In the scheme of things these older trucks are very simple and finding current draws is straightforward (especially on Defenders). Narrow it down to the circuit, then narrow down the components in the circuit.

I spent days tracking down a 100mA draw in a 2005 Range Rover. Things get much more complicated when you have data networks linking modules together that are on separate power circuits. And even more so when you have a bastardized model year with different electrical systems designed by different manufacturers linked together by a network that there is next to no technical information available for.

That one ended up being the radio head unit staying on, but because the gateway module had failed and was "telling" it to stay on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
drain, electrical