Electrical Meltdown - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 18th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Electrical Meltdown

Yesterday something electrical went wrong. I have no headlights or gauges (speedo, temp, tack). Initially I couldn't get it started but found a way to get the ingition to work by jiggling the wires on the ignition. Driving lights, blinkers, guage lights, radio, horn, everything else seems to work. I quickly looked at the fuses and didn't see any problems. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Lucasd2002
David Lucas
[VACANT]

Did you check the ground connections?
Old April 18th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucasd2002 View Post
Did you check the ground connections?
Yes
Seems to all be connected
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2010, 07:52 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese_D90 View Post
Yesterday something electrical went wrong. I have no headlights or gauges (speedo, temp, tack). Initially I couldn't get it started but found a way to get the ingition to work by jiggling the wires on the ignition. Driving lights, blinkers, guage lights, radio, horn, everything else seems to work. I quickly looked at the fuses and didn't see any problems. Any ideas?
I had something similiar happen on my 94. If I recall it was a bad ground in the tail lights circuit.
Old April 18th, 2010, 11:53 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Is your ignition falling apart - meaning where the key fits into. There is a backing plate that sometimes just fails and pops off. Done finito. if that happens you will need to pick up another ignition set up.
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Found at least part of the problem. Looks like my rear hella work light wiring shorted out. Melted and in the process probably has crossed a few wires. I need to trace where all the wire runs and I will hopefully find the issue. I am thinking it is somewhere in the center console by the fuses since that's the path the PO wired the rear light from the dash switch to the battery. I'm still not sure how the ignition issue fits in. Thanks all for the suggestions.
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese_D90 View Post
Found at least part of the problem. Looks like my rear hella work light wiring shorted out. Melted and in the process probably has crossed a few wires. I need to trace where all the wire runs and I will hopefully find the issue. I am thinking it is somewhere in the center console by the fuses since that's the path the PO wired the rear light from the dash switch to the battery. I'm still not sure how the ignition issue fits in. Thanks all for the suggestions.
Im still not able to find the source. No headlights, No gauges, No ignition to fire the starter. Any ideas on a common denominator?

thanks
Old April 25th, 2010, 09:16 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Do you have the RAVE Disc? Investigate the wires that were crossed and melted. Find out where they go and what they tie into.

Old April 25th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Do you have the RAVE Disc? Investigate the wires that were crossed and melted. Find out where they go and what they tie into.
Straight from the switch, out bulkhead and along frame below the truck to battery box and then to battery terminal and then to rear work light. I cant find where it might have impacted other wires.
Old April 26th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Not sure if this will help....I had major electrical problems and it turned out the wires in my rear harness inside the frame were worn bare up against the frame. The rear harness was pulled from the frame and three 1foot sections were replaced, solved all of my problems.

This caused a few wires in the dash to melt and all kinds of brake and light issues. Also starting problems.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical