Electrical Issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 19th, 2011, 03:07 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

Electrical Issue

I was hoping someone might know something about this. When I apply the breaks or use the turn signals my temp/gas gauges drop (ie they don't register). Once i take my foot off the breaks both gauges rise to their normal reading. However, once i'm done using the turn signal the gauges remain bottomed out and don't work properly until I turn off the 90. When using the brakes the gauges move back up when I take my foot off the pedal. I've checked all the sockets and most of the wiring and all appears to be good. I removed the flasher and tried the breaks and the gauges operate properly (and the rear brake lights do come on). So, do you think the problem is the flasher or do you think there is a short in the wiring somewhere. The turn signals do not work.

I can't get a flasher for a few hours so wanted to see if there was anything else i should check before going to the auto parts store later today.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

------ Follow up post added November 19th, 2011 03:43 PM ------

FYI, the local auto parts store didn't have the flasher so I put it back in and everything works now.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2011, 09:59 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I think you have a short somewhere. Turn on the flashers and have someone watch the gauges to see if anything changes while you jiggle the wiring. Start at the rear and trace forward through the entry point into the frame. The short could be along the harness as it passes through the frame.
Old November 20th, 2011, 03:40 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

hazard

See if your Hazard button totally disengaged. Mine sometimes gets bumped but not fully engaged and
screwy things happen with the lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2011, 01:22 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

Thanks. I think the problem is either the flasher relay or hazard switch. After unplugging/reattaching both plugs everything seems to be working fine.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical