Electrical gremlin - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 5th, 2014, 06:43 PM
azspeed
Greg
85D90

Electrical gremlin

So, my rear turn signals (both) are not working. First thing I did was replace the bulbs, still no go. Second thing, check the fuses, all appear to be ok, however with the poor diagram on the fuse box cover I decided to pinpoint which was the turn signal fuse. After finding it and pulling it out and putting the same fuse back in, there is now a crazy noise coming from the fuse box when I press the left turn signal. The fuse it had was a 35A fuse when the max depicted on the diagram for any fuse is 20A, so I go pick up and pick up the appropriate 15A fuse and replace it, however it's still making the noise, and no still no turn signals. Any thoughts? Relay? Ground?

Check out the video to hear the noise and let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

making a noise would lead me to think it may be the flasher. However the hazard switch also goes bad. Do you get lights with the the hazard switch? Do the front lights work? The rear lights connect on the bulkhead to the chassis loom. A good idea to give that a look. Always check the grounds too.
Old July 7th, 2014, 01:55 PM
azspeed
Greg
85D90

The hazard switch works, as well as the fronts when I turn on the hazards, just not the rears. I'll try and trace the wiring and see where the rears connect. The buzzing sound still has me wondering though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
those damn bullet connectors for the tail harness need to be inspected (on the tub under each rear quater panel window. Most of the time, the problem is with those (in my experience).

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 26th, 2014, 08:18 PM
azspeed
Greg
85D90

Well, I've narrowed the buzzing sound down to the clear blue Hella TB64 relay mounted behind the fusebox, part #4DM003360-00. After I pulled it out it looks like it melted on one side of the circuit board. Has anyone else had to replace this unit? There is a Lucas unit on craddock that is listed as a replacement, not sure if it's compatible though.
Old July 26th, 2014, 08:30 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Rovah Farm. Ask for Trevor.
Old July 28th, 2014, 03:00 PM
azspeed
Greg
85D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Rovah Farm. Ask for Trevor.
I've talked to Trevor before, very helpful, I'll give him a ring.

Here's a pic of the relay for anyone else that finds this thread later.

------ Follow up post added July 28th, 2014 02:02 PM ------

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical