Electrical - battery killers? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 29th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Electrical - battery killers?

The RRC has a ret top Ultima battery. It was disconnected a couple months ago after something ran it down to dead; I'd been working on my repairs and might have disconnected or connected something that zapped power.

We charged the battery, left it disconnected, and when we re-connected it, it only needed a little help from the charger to turn the truck over. I ran the truck for 10-15 minutes, and parked it.

The next day, the battery was dead again. We charged, started, ran, and parked it again. And again, two days later the battery was dead.

My first thought was alternator, but the alternator hasn't run in some time, and the truck runs just fine once started.

Is it possible a ground wire (like the large one on the hood/bonnet hinge) is connected improperly? The hood is loose as I need a new strike plate, so it's possible that the under bonnet light is on but I forgot to check. Could the alternator have died while sitting idle?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone (anyone).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
step one, get the batter tested. starter batteries (red tops) are prone to early deaths if left depleted for too long. I just had one go bad in a few weeks after being leaft at too low a voltage.

also, get a multimeter, and test resistance to determine if you have continuity issues between different ground points. multimeter is a must have in my opinion for proper maintenance and diagnostics. with that one tool, almost all electrical problems can be diagnosed.
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:48 AM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

A few years ago i was told only to use a charger that was designed for gel batteries any other type would destroy the battery...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2007, 12:41 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90DRC
A few years ago i was told only to use a charger that was designed for gel batteries any other type would destroy the battery...
From the Optima web site (http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/technology/faq.html#000100010006 ):
Quote:
you can use any charger on an OPTIMA as long as the voltage is regulated properly. If your charger will remain on indefinitely the voltage should be at 13.8 volts maximum with a one amp maximum current.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:22 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Emerson,

Good to see youre still out there but sucks the truck still isn't on the road. Sounds like a dead battery.
I occasionaly have to user a jumper pack on mine. I am only using the lwb to tow the waverunners (leave the trailer attached @ all times). Still want to come look at your purchase. Shoot me a call sometime.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:49 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Sounds good, Doug. I'm leaning towards a very dead battery, but suspect something like the under bonnet light is running. I'm horrible with DC systems (there's a Lucas joke in there somewhere, me being an engineer), so my re-connecting the few things I messed with is suspect as well.

I'm on the island every night (live there, after all)... just call me when you have time and want to come by. Usually if I know by 5 or so, I can re-route down to Mom and Dad's. I'd really love for someone with RRC experience to take a look at the truck, too. **

** Since I'm proceeding with the proceeedings... based on what Mr. Lawyer tells me, a fresh / second opinion would be good about now (not for court use at all, I can assure you).

All that's left:
Find a bonnet latch strike plate somewhere as well as a battery retainer.
Re-adjust the bonnet so it closes properly.
Get rid of the dust shields
Take the truck to the local who can fix the drive flange bolts, repair the frame rust, and do a final inspection.
oh, and replace the battery, of course (red Yellow optima this time?).
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:16 AM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

I've had similar problems with the battery in my Delorean. If I forget to use the disconnect it will not only drain the battery but flat out kill it so it woun't accept a charge. Usually to fully kill the battery I have to leave it connected for a few weeks without using the car. After killing 2 this way I've gotten good at remembering to use the disconnect (although Pep Boys replaced the first for free since it was still under waranty).
Old July 3rd, 2007, 01:59 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

IIRC I was told that on the '95 there is an issue with a wire getting pinched in/behind the glove box that shorts and I think causes the glove box light to stay on. Anyway, take a close look under/in/around the glove box (esp. the hinge area I think) and see if there is a wire getting pinched/shorted. Let us know what you find!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
battery, electrical