Electric Water Pump - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 24th, 2010, 12:25 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Electric Water Pump

Has anyone looked at fitting an electric coolant pump to a diesel? One thing I have noticed is that the block really holds the heat after the engine is shut down and was thinking that being able to continue to circulate coolant through the Rad with the engine off would be a good option, as well it would allow additional heat to be pulled from the heater box while parked without needing to idle.

One case is when the engine is running too hot for whatever reason (other than no coolant) for example in the desert then having the option to shut down and continue to use the electric pump and electric fan to bring down temps would be good. It would also be nice to have a backup to the mechanical pump without having to pack one along.

Would it work or would there be additional bypass hoses needed to bypass the mechanical pump?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2010, 04:17 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

The webasto I have on mine has an electric pump that circulates the coolant with the engine off... of course it's purpose is to heat the engine up not to cool it down but maybe you could reprogram it? In any case it's functionality would suggest that a suplimental pump would be possible I'm just not sure if it would be worth the effort... you're trying to cool the engine off better when it's not running?
Old September 24th, 2010, 05:47 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Well 2 reasons, to have in place in the event of the failure of the main pump until it can be fixed since I'm frequently in places where walking back isn't really a viable option, and to keep coolant circulating while the electric fan is on so that it can cool things down in the event of an over-hot condition where keeping the engine running is not always the best option.

Just a fault-tolerance idea, if carrying a spare mechanical pump is the best way to go then I guess that's what I'll end up with.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If the rad fan stays running the coolant will circulate on its own until the thermostat closes.

Adding more complication makes it less reliable, not more....
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:24 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Thermal Dynamics... it's really pretty simple.

We used to run electric water pumps in the race cars (a loooong time ago) but found that the cool coolant will migrate based on where the heat is.. Hot goes up, cool goes down. After that modified water pumps (for less flow and less hp draw) were used.

On top of that I'm not sure that if my 300 looses a water pump it will even care until it revs past 1200 rpm for a while (depending on the weather) not a walk home situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
If the rad fan stays running the coolant will circulate on its own until the thermostat closes.

Adding more complication makes it less reliable, not more....

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
water, water pump