electric fans - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 11th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey Vadim, how about a pick of the fan?

Oh and the wiring Diagram I made. Any question on it please post so I can revise it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E-fans.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	1600  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Vadim
vadim
95 D90

I think we pull out of 1991-93 Eagle sedan 'Premier'.They all same.When you look for fan,make sure it from V6 or V8 .And it must be narrow,othervise it will hit water pump.Fuse box I pulled from some old toyota (small box for 3 fuses,you really will need max 2 --30 Amp).Its don't matter toyota or mazda or some else,main idea they need to be 30 Amp and no more than for 2 or 9 fuses.You can install for 5-6 fuses too,but it too big.Then we got cooling fan relay,from old american car 1980-1990. Most relay will work. Switch was VW.All conversion cost me around $35-40 .Fan was $15,relay and fuses with box $5 ,and VW switch $15.Reason why I can't remember from which cars we pull some stuff,becouse way this junk yard built.Its call Pull-a-part ,and you just come and look in 100-200 hundred cars for parts.Of course no Defenders If you need some fotos or explanation how we wire it .please let me know.I can posted this for you guy's.
Thank you
Vadim
Old October 11th, 2004, 02:45 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Thanks Vadim

I think I'd like to see pictures too. Is this a dual or single fan? So far looking online, the only thing I can find so far is a single.

I've heard taurus fans work too btw, just your description of it fitting without mods sounds good.

in my case I have to add a wrinkle. I have a auto transmission conversion from a '94 disco. The transmission cooler is on the engine side of the radiator, which I expect will interfere with the electric fan without mods.

Anyone have pics of a '97 D90 with a trans cooler?

charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

The taurus fans don't work out

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=3209
Old October 11th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Vadim
vadim
95 D90

Its single fan,but will do the work.You can add one more fan on front of radiator too .I saw some small fans from old Subaru,they will fit good.My temperature gauge stay less than middle.I have fotos now ,but I don't know how to post them.And I don't wire direct to battery,as some people did.We run littile different set up,soon my friend show up in office I ask him to make diagramm of it.As far how is cooler goes ,you can move it to the front of radiator ( i think ).

Follow-up Post:

Mike ,I try upload this fotos,but I guess the too big.If you want I email you fotos ,and may be you be more lucky
Charles if you want I can emai you this fotos.Just give you email.
Old October 11th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Send them on over Vadim!
Old October 11th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Vadim
vadim
95 D90

Just send them by email.Thank you Mike.
Old October 11th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Pics! From Vadim

Follow-up Post:

And a wiring diagram
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 311a.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 312a.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1604  

Name:	Picture 313a.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 314a.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1606  

Name:	Picture 315a.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 316a.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1608  

Name:	Picture 309a.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 310a.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1610  

Name:	wiresa.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1611  
Old October 11th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

The Flexalite 210 2X12" kit will shroud the entire radiator like it was made for Defenders.
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:28 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Thanks Vadim/Mike.

Vadim, can you give me an idea of how much clearance there is between the fan blades and the radatior. I think my trans cooler is going to throw a wrench in the works.

Would you accept $50 for your used clutch? I don't need the fan.

charles
Old October 13th, 2004, 12:47 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I'm with Doug on this one. I would not "cheap out" on fans for the motor. $250 is a hell of alot cheaper than new heads from an overheated aluminum block LR motor. Just my 2 cents.
Old October 13th, 2004, 01:09 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Mike/Doug whats the clearance between the fan and the radiator on the flexalite 210?
Old October 13th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

The fans sit about 1/2 inch from the radiator. The fans are in a shroud (with a soft gasket all around to fit snug) that pulls air to the fans from the whole radiator surface. The 210 Flexalite is 'low profile' and there is plenty of room between the engine and fan. Go to Flexalite's site to get dimensions.

PS: My 110 tranny cooler is in front of the rad. Don't know about 90s. Is it a thin long tube thing at the bottom rear of radiator? If so, you'd have to do some measuring....
Old October 13th, 2004, 01:37 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I understand the value of the shroud, and agree that its best to have it encompass the whole radiator.

My D90 has an aftermarket auto swap done. My a/c cooler is on the front, and the auto cooler is on the engine side.

I could possibly increase the thickness of the gasket around it (you say there is enough engine clearance, but I start objecting to spending (it will be more than) $250 and having to start mod it....

If I could only find a cheap fan clutch. $150 for that is above my threshold for pain too

charles
Old October 13th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Vadim
vadim
95 D90

Hi Charles.$60+ shipping and it all yours.I will need you full address and I tell you how much will be shipping.PayPal will be ok(if you have one) I will only charge you for shipping whatever ,UPS charge me.And I have very good rates with them.Between radiator and blades its around half inch.People think its cheap solution,but its not.If I don't spend $250 or 300$,just becouse I am creative and can do lot of stuff by my self,it doesn't mean it will work worse than other $250 solution.If you want you can install additional small fan on the front of radiator(from old Volvo or Subaru).Don't worry it will do job ,as same as $250 )My next project to do roof rack.I don't think $1500 fear price for rack tooo much for rack I saw one guy on ebay ,he sells nice rack's for $239 and with some mod it will be nice rack.I will post photos after I finish.My email is vad@zoomtek.com
Thank you
Vadim
Old October 13th, 2004, 02:10 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

Doug,

Just saw your rig at the mechanics yesterday. Did not get to look under the hood, I was confined to drooling around the truck. I must say it is refreshing to see a truck with such well thought out and executed mods. My truck's currently having the same upgraded radiator put in that's in your truck.

My apologize for the hijack Vadim.

Read
Old October 13th, 2004, 03:24 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I installed two Kragan Auto Parts-purchased Hayden 12" fans. Side-by-side they cover nearly the entire radiator in width and a bitless in height, and pull more CFM than the single 14" would. Cost: ~$130. I then used their fan wiring kit, another ~$25 which includes a relay, temperature probe, fuse and all the wire you need if you keep it all under the hood. I pull power for the fans from the wire that leads from the batter to the alternator, and I use the positive side of the coil for keyswitch control. I took photos and I'll post them here later.

Pros with this setup:
I really like the idea of two fans for redundancy. These fans pull *alot* of air - I'm sure more than stock, and the engine never runs too hot (so far). They provide alot of clearance to fiddle under the hood in front of the engine, too. I'm pretty happy with this as a replacement for the stupid-always-breaks viscous fan. You also don't need a big shroud as these fans have a very low profile & the blades have very low clearance from the radiator. The very small shroud they come with is all you need to draw alot of air through the radiator.

Cons with this setup:
I don't like their pre-calibrated temperature probe which uses radiator temperature to control the fan relay. I also don't like the non-waterproof connectors used on this probe. I plan to install a different temperature sensor & connector in the thermostat housing a bit later down the road. I would also prefer to run a dual relay setup to completely isolate the two circuits for nearly complete redundancy. I also would prefer to have the relays in the cabin mounted in with the rest of the electrical system for conciseness, but hey, this isn't a car show winner That might wait until I go TD...
Old October 13th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Vadim
vadim
95 D90

Hi Read.We all big community .and we all love each other If I can help somebody with advise or spare,I just love to do this.Becouse when I was need help,lot of people try help me too.It what very nice about this website and members.Way how people try help each other and share information.
I like say Thank You to everybody who keep this website running.
Best regards,
Vadim
Old October 13th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Thanks, Read. It's taken some time to get there!

Doug
Old April 25th, 2005, 11:51 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

I think I'm going to be in the 'time-to-go-electric-fans' group (motor got quite hot on the trail the other day). Flex-a-lites are quite loud, yes? Tyler has them, yes?
Are there other options, and how noisy are they in comparison? All electrics I've heard so are are loud - thats likely why I've heard them

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electric fan, fan