Electric Fan ..yeah yeah - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 16th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Electric Fan ..yeah yeah

I was thinking on installing an Electric fan set up , and questions came up in my head ( yeah go figure )

What difference would be installing a sucker style ( in front of radiator ) as opposed to a blower style ( behind the radiator )

reason, well in front of radiator there are no hoses to bother and bigger surface and probably mounting bracket fabrication will be easier.

I have a 22" x 17" empty area behind the radiator ( intercooler is mounted on the left ) and a 28"x17" if mounted in front.

What kind of ( here in US ) fans are vailable to accomplish this? shrouded or not ? etc.

Also what to do with thermostat ( and of course a bypass for manual when fording )

Thanks
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2011, 12:46 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I have a 200tdi and I ran a single flexlite over the rad with a switch in the thermostat housing. It took a while to find the right switch, but I finally got a VW that turns on at about 195.
Old February 16th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Sorry, what engine? On the 200TDI, a Taurus fan fits with very few mods using the stock shroud supports.

http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/i...topic=369251.0

Most fans are design to pull from behind. You need a special fan designed to push in order to mount in front.

------ Follow up post added February 16th, 2011 11:17 AM ------

For control, you can't beat the DCControl products, http://www.dccontrol.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2011, 01:28 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
There's no mechanical difference between the pusher (mounts in the front) and puller (mounts in the back). Just where they mount and air flow... one pushes air through the rad... the other... well, you get the idea.

I have a very nice and well prices Flex-a-Lite... the FAL rep just told me I can convert mine to pusher.

Let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 16th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
I was thinking on installing an Electric fan set up , and questions came up in my head ( yeah go figure )

What difference would be installing a sucker style ( in front of radiator ) as opposed to a blower style ( behind the radiator )

reason, well in front of radiator there are no hoses to bother and bigger surface and probably mounting bracket fabrication will be easier.

I have a 22" x 17" empty area behind the radiator ( intercooler is mounted on the left ) and a 28"x17" if mounted in front.

What kind of ( here in US ) fans are vailable to accomplish this? shrouded or not ? etc.

Also what to do with thermostat ( and of course a bypass for manual when fording )

Thanks
A puller turns into a pusher by switching the wires. That said, a puller is always better in a front of vehicle application because it does not obstruct airflow. The difference is minor. Get in where you fit in.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 16th, 2011, 01:55 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I believe the fan blade orientation differs for push/pull as well, so will be less efficient if you just swap polarity.
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
A puller turns into a pusher by switching the wires. That said, a puller is always better in a front of vehicle application because it does not obstruct airflow. The difference is minor. Get in where you fit in.
That is not true for all fan styles. Many are designed to only flow in one direction and reversing rotation makes them very inefficient.

It is important to do the design and install to an OEM level with such an important system as cooling. Too many people do hack electric fan installs and then blame the electric fan for the problems.
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
the flex a lite black magic will fit very nicely on the 200/300 size radiator and has its own built in shroud. I use one on my 3.0 conversion in my 109 and despite perennial head gasket problems the engine has never actually overheated. Well, except for the time it ran a gallon low on coolant but that was not the fan's fault. The thing really blows. Or sucks...whatever...

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/asse...ded-300wht.jpg
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Talk to Pendy about his clutchless fan. I installed it and it pushes a huge amount of air through the engine bay. Has a nice hum too. My engine runs noticeably cooler.
I am not sure it will work with your configuration but might be worth a try.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=4014
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1431.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	35847   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1432.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	35848  

Old February 16th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
That is not true for all fan styles. Many are designed to only flow in one direction and reversing rotation makes them very inefficient.

It is important to do the design and install to an OEM level with such an important system as cooling. Too many people do hack electric fan installs and then blame the electric fan for the problems.
True, but it works on most fans. And the ones it does not can usually be reversed inside the body.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
the flex a lite black magic will fit very nicely on the 200/300 size radiator and has its own built in shroud. I use one on my 3.0 conversion in my 109 and despite perennial head gasket problems the engine has never actually overheated. Well, except for the time it ran a gallon low on coolant but that was not the fan's fault. The thing really blows. Or sucks...whatever...

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/asse...ded-300wht.jpg
3 variance of Black Magic, 1 no var speed, does it come with brackets and switches?
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
i got the universal one and yes it came with the thermostat, brackets, etc. I made my own wiring harness. Come to think of it this will not be ideal for the tdi as it will not pull through the intercooler, only the rad. They do make some wider fans but then you are into the $3-500 range. What is wrong with the stock fan/shroud setup again?

Quote:
3 variance of Black Magic, 1 no var speed, does it come with brackets and switches?
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:23 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
I strongly recommend the Flex-a-Lite 295... it's a great fan and comes with variable speed controller.

Old February 16th, 2011, 04:44 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

The kenlow fan on my 200tdi will drop water temp 20 degrees in 2 or 3 mins. It's wired to a switch on the console and have yet to see over 195 even with a load of junk in the back
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
The kenlow fan on my 200tdi will drop water temp 20 degrees in 2 or 3 mins. It's wired to a switch on the console and have yet to see over 195 even with a load of junk in the back
My Taurus fan does that in 10 SECONDS.......at minimum speed.....
Old February 17th, 2011, 04:06 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

your gauge is broken...simple physics, you can't cool anything that quick...
Old February 17th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Frank send me a pic and model of your kenlowe please.

Also does it stay away from the intercooler? covers it? hoses on the way?

Thanks
Old February 17th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
your gauge is broken...simple physics, you can't cool anything that quick...
He's telling the truth. That Taurus fan is ludicrous. On high it will pull your car down the road.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 17th, 2011, 05:12 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cred View Post
Talk to Pendy about his clutchless fan. I installed it and it pushes a huge amount of air through the engine bay. Has a nice hum too. My engine runs noticeably cooler.
I am not sure it will work with your configuration but might be worth a try.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=4014

Clarence, now that you've had it installed for a few months, how much louder is the set-up than stock?
Old February 17th, 2011, 06:43 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Frank send me a pic and model of your kenlowe please.

Also does it stay away from the intercooler? covers it? hoses on the way?

Thanks
ok goose...it doesn't cover the intercooler and I have no interference issues...I know the taurus fans rock, I ran them for a while on my D2, but 20 degrees in 10 seconds is a stretch.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electric fan, fan