Electric Fan ..yeah yeah - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
Electric Fan ..yeah yeah

I was thinking on installing an Electric fan set up , and questions came up in my head ( yeah go figure )

What difference would be installing a sucker style ( in front of radiator ) as opposed to a blower style ( behind the radiator )

reason, well in front of radiator there are no hoses to bother and bigger surface and probably mounting bracket fabrication will be easier.

I have a 22" x 17" empty area behind the radiator ( intercooler is mounted on the left ) and a 28"x17" if mounted in front.


What kind of ( here in US ) fans are vailable to accomplish this? shrouded or not ? etc.

Also what to do with thermostat ( and of course a bypass for manual when fording )


Thanks
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:46 PM
tomaco1's Avatar
tomaco1
Status: Offline
T.mac
83 110
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,695
Registry
I have a 200tdi and I ran a single flexlite over the rad with a switch in the thermostat housing. It took a while to find the right switch, but I finally got a VW that turns on at about 195.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 16th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,250
Registry
Sorry, what engine? On the 200TDI, a Taurus fan fits with very few mods using the stock shroud supports.

http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/i...topic=369251.0

Most fans are design to pull from behind. You need a special fan designed to push in order to mount in front.

------ Follow up post added February 16th, 2011 11:17 AM ------

For control, you can't beat the DCControl products, http://www.dccontrol.com/
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old February 16th, 2011, 01:28 PM
The Dro
Status: Offline
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,692
Registry
There's no mechanical difference between the pusher (mounts in the front) and puller (mounts in the back). Just where they mount and air flow... one pushes air through the rad... the other... well, you get the idea.

I have a very nice and well prices Flex-a-Lite... the FAL rep just told me I can convert mine to pusher.

Let me know.
__________________
Mine is NTO... It was new, Now I'm Taking it Off.
Quote:
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 16th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Buckon37s's Avatar
Buckon37s
Status: Offline
Buck
Re-Fendered 90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Temecula, CA, USA
Posts: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
I was thinking on installing an Electric fan set up , and questions came up in my head ( yeah go figure )

What difference would be installing a sucker style ( in front of radiator ) as opposed to a blower style ( behind the radiator )

reason, well in front of radiator there are no hoses to bother and bigger surface and probably mounting bracket fabrication will be easier.

I have a 22" x 17" empty area behind the radiator ( intercooler is mounted on the left ) and a 28"x17" if mounted in front.


What kind of ( here in US ) fans are vailable to accomplish this? shrouded or not ? etc.

Also what to do with thermostat ( and of course a bypass for manual when fording )


Thanks
A puller turns into a pusher by switching the wires. That said, a puller is always better in a front of vehicle application because it does not obstruct airflow. The difference is minor. Get in where you fit in.
__________________
2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
West Coast Rovers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reel Driveline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 16th, 2011, 01:55 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
I believe the fan blade orientation differs for push/pull as well, so will be less efficient if you just swap polarity.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,250
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
A puller turns into a pusher by switching the wires. That said, a puller is always better in a front of vehicle application because it does not obstruct airflow. The difference is minor. Get in where you fit in.
That is not true for all fan styles. Many are designed to only flow in one direction and reversing rotation makes them very inefficient.

It is important to do the design and install to an OEM level with such an important system as cooling. Too many people do hack electric fan installs and then blame the electric fan for the problems.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,696
Registry
the flex a lite black magic will fit very nicely on the 200/300 size radiator and has its own built in shroud. I use one on my 3.0 conversion in my 109 and despite perennial head gasket problems the engine has never actually overheated. Well, except for the time it ran a gallon low on coolant but that was not the fan's fault. The thing really blows. Or sucks...whatever...

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/asse...ded-300wht.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Cred's Avatar
Cred
Status: Offline
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 733
Registry
Talk to Pendy about his clutchless fan. I installed it and it pushes a huge amount of air through the engine bay. Has a nice hum too. My engine runs noticeably cooler.
I am not sure it will work with your configuration but might be worth a try.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=4014
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1431.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	35847   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1432.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	35848  

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Buckon37s's Avatar
Buckon37s
Status: Offline
Buck
Re-Fendered 90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Temecula, CA, USA
Posts: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
That is not true for all fan styles. Many are designed to only flow in one direction and reversing rotation makes them very inefficient.

It is important to do the design and install to an OEM level with such an important system as cooling. Too many people do hack electric fan installs and then blame the electric fan for the problems.
True, but it works on most fans. And the ones it does not can usually be reversed inside the body.
__________________
2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
West Coast Rovers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reel Driveline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
the flex a lite black magic will fit very nicely on the 200/300 size radiator and has its own built in shroud. I use one on my 3.0 conversion in my 109 and despite perennial head gasket problems the engine has never actually overheated. Well, except for the time it ran a gallon low on coolant but that was not the fan's fault. The thing really blows. Or sucks...whatever...

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/asse...ded-300wht.jpg
3 variance of Black Magic, 1 no var speed, does it come with brackets and switches?
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,696
Registry
i got the universal one and yes it came with the thermostat, brackets, etc. I made my own wiring harness. Come to think of it this will not be ideal for the tdi as it will not pull through the intercooler, only the rad. They do make some wider fans but then you are into the $3-500 range. What is wrong with the stock fan/shroud setup again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
3 variance of Black Magic, 1 no var speed, does it come with brackets and switches?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:23 PM
The Dro
Status: Offline
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,692
Registry
I strongly recommend the Flex-a-Lite 295... it's a great fan and comes with variable speed controller.
__________________
Mine is NTO... It was new, Now I'm Taking it Off.
Quote:
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:44 PM
mongosd2's Avatar
mongosd2
Status: Offline
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tucson
Posts: 861
The kenlow fan on my 200tdi will drop water temp 20 degrees in 2 or 3 mins. It's wired to a switch on the console and have yet to see over 195 even with a load of junk in the back
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,250
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
The kenlow fan on my 200tdi will drop water temp 20 degrees in 2 or 3 mins. It's wired to a switch on the console and have yet to see over 195 even with a load of junk in the back
My Taurus fan does that in 10 SECONDS.......at minimum speed.....
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old February 17th, 2011, 04:06 PM
mongosd2's Avatar
mongosd2
Status: Offline
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tucson
Posts: 861
your gauge is broken...simple physics, you can't cool anything that quick...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old February 17th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
The kenlow fan on my 200tdi will drop water temp 20 degrees in 2 or 3 mins. It's wired to a switch on the console and have yet to see over 195 even with a load of junk in the back
Frank send me a pic and model of your kenlowe please.

Also does it stay away from the intercooler? covers it? hoses on the way?

Thanks
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old February 17th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Buckon37s's Avatar
Buckon37s
Status: Offline
Buck
Re-Fendered 90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Temecula, CA, USA
Posts: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
your gauge is broken...simple physics, you can't cool anything that quick...
He's telling the truth. That Taurus fan is ludicrous. On high it will pull your car down the road.
__________________
2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
West Coast Rovers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reel Driveline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old February 17th, 2011, 05:12 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cred View Post
Talk to Pendy about his clutchless fan. I installed it and it pushes a huge amount of air through the engine bay. Has a nice hum too. My engine runs noticeably cooler.
I am not sure it will work with your configuration but might be worth a try.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=4014

Clarence, now that you've had it installed for a few months, how much louder is the set-up than stock?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old February 17th, 2011, 06:43 PM
mongosd2's Avatar
mongosd2
Status: Offline
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tucson
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Frank send me a pic and model of your kenlowe please.

Also does it stay away from the intercooler? covers it? hoses on the way?

Thanks
ok goose...it doesn't cover the intercooler and I have no interference issues...I know the taurus fans rock, I ran them for a while on my D2, but 20 degrees in 10 seconds is a stretch.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electric fan, fan

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric Cooling Fan 97 info needed. WHITE RHINO Defender Technical Discussions 8 January 8th, 2012 02:11 PM
I'm making a custom fiberglass electric fan shroud for D90, anyone interesed? jaherring Defender Technical Discussions 1 November 22nd, 2005 01:06 PM
Twin Electric fan kit for V8 D90 kiphartzell Wanted 2 March 17th, 2005 01:06 PM
Did 1995 SW D90s come with an electric fan? arbik Defender Technical Discussions 8 March 1st, 2005 01:27 AM
Electric Cooling Fan Brackets wea Wanted 0 December 8th, 2004 12:52 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.


Copyright