Electric Fan ..yeah yeah - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:57 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Taurus fan FTW. Two speed, sturdy, cheap and available everywhere. Taking the engine driven fan off my RRC was the best thing I did to that engine. Ran cooler and quieter, no worry about the fan drowning the dizzy when wading.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:54 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Sorry to revisit this - What year Taurus' would you guys recommend? and is this the same for a 3.9v8?
It is my understanding that the Taurus fan does not fit on a V8 90. The motor on the fan hits the water pump. You need one of the dual fan options.

------ Follow up post added April 22nd, 2011 07:57 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh12 View Post
And a little off subject, but the intercooler doesn't need airflow??
It is pretty rare for cars to have fans on intercoolers. You need intercooler air flow with sustained , high boost. This is pretty hard to get except when on the road, where you are moving fast.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 02:20 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Can anyone confirm John's reply that the Taurus fan won't work on the V8 defender?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Sorry, what engine? On the 200TDI, a Taurus fan fits with very few mods using the stock shroud supports.

http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/i...topic=369251.0

Most fans are design to pull from behind. You need a special fan designed to push in order to mount in front.

------ Follow up post added February 16th, 2011 11:17 AM ------

For control, you can't beat the DCControl products, http://www.dccontrol.com/
John, how weather resistant has that flexilite controller been for you? is it dunkable for wading? doesn't seem to say in the install manual or the website? Are you still happy with this controller?
Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:37 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
John, how weather resistant has that flexilite controller been for you? is it dunkable for wading? doesn't seem to say in the install manual or the website? Are you still happy with this controller?
I have not had any trouble with mine in 3? years. I drive through water over the bonnet a lot. It is mounted high (inside upper lip of wing) though.

I had and would suggest the DCControl unit. It is fully waterproof and better designed. I only bought the FAL unit because at the time DCControls was not selling to the public. One caveat...if you plan on an override and defeat switch for the DCControl, talk to me for details. The required wiring is NOT obvious...

------ Follow up post added April 22nd, 2011 03:43 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Can anyone confirm John's reply that the Taurus fan won't work on the V8 defender?
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=3209
Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:49 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes
1994 Defender 90 Soft Top

[QUOTE=Red90;277929]It is my understanding that the Taurus fan does not fit on a V8 90. The motor on the fan hits the water pump. You need one of the dual fan options.

I believe you need the 2.5" width option pulling 2500 cfm. On the topic of CFM, isn't the stock fan setup rated at 2700 CFM??

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:45 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes
1994 Defender 90 Soft Top

Correction: I believe that is 2 5/8".

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.
Old April 25th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
I have not had any trouble with mine in 3? years. I drive through water over the bonnet a lot. It is mounted high (inside upper lip of wing) though.

I had and would suggest the DCControl unit. It is fully waterproof and better designed. I only bought the FAL unit because at the time DCControls was not selling to the public. One caveat...if you plan on an override and defeat switch for the DCControl, talk to me for details. The required wiring is NOT obvious...
Thanks. Is it the 2sp unit that would be the one to get? I looked all over DCC's site and didn't see anything about waterproofness. I want to make sure I get one fully durable and waterproof, as I don't need an electric fan failure in travels through central america and elsewhere.

Also, I actually heard back from flex-a-lite technician for my inquiry abour wading, and he said it's "weatherproof not waterproof". I asked again specifically about short duration immersion for things like wading and he said and I quote
:
"I think if the control is immersed, it will no longer operate.

David Heutmaker
Flex-a-lite
253-922-2700 "

Does anyone know the amp draw of the Taurus fan setup?
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
A lot. I had to get an 80 amp fuse to handle it. The spike is startup though. I am not sure on the numbers for sure though. My buddy thinks a 50 amp spike.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s

A lot. I had to get an 80 amp fuse to handle it. The spike is startup though. I am not sure on the numbers for sure though. My buddy thinks a 50 amp spike.
geez! i only have an 85 amp alternator! maybe this isnt such a good idea.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old April 26th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
geez! i only have an 85 amp alternator! maybe this isnt such a good idea.
Thats just startup spike on the 3500CFM (mack daddy) fan speed. Normal draw is not that bad. And you won't need the higher speed fan for more than a minute at a time, if that long.

I am putting 2 of these on my Diesel pusher motorhome. Don't be afraid.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 26th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Thanks. Is it the 2sp unit that would be the one to get? I looked all over DCC's site and didn't see anything about waterproofness. I want to make sure I get one fully durable and waterproof, as I don't need an electric fan failure in travels through central america and elsewhere.

I have not seen a two speed unit, but the variable speed ones are fully encased. Can't hurt to send him an email. His customer service skills suck, but he usually responds....

Either the two speed or the variable speed will work fine. The Taurus fan is around 30 amps.

There is a 3rd choice as well. http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.as...tem=FAN-PWM-V3 I have no experience with this one but it looks good although there is some internet chatter that it's current rating may not be good enough.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electric fan, fan