Electric Brake Control on 85 exMOD Defender 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 17th, 2016, 01:08 PM
GRNWOLF
Mike
1985 Defender ex MOD OM617

Registry
Electric Brake Control on 85 exMOD Defender 110

Hello and thank you in advance.

I'm looking to add brake control for trailering to my Defender. I've seen plenty of wiring harnesses for adding four way plugs but want the full shebang with the 7-way plugs and proportional braking.

Before I go reinventing the wheel, I thought it wise to ask here first.

I've looked at various sites and this one seems to have a comprehensive list of options: Hitch Wiring SHIPS FREE + Giant Selection

In the top right select 1990 Land Rover Defender and it'll narrow it down (no option for my 85 there).

I'm wondering what others have done as far as the Brake Controller, Wiring Harnesses, "Modulite" protector, etc.

I have seen the Prodigy RF and I'm not a fan right now plus I have too many trailers. Something about RF controlling my brakes I don't feel too secure about, so I'd prefer a wired system.

For Controller I was thinking the Prodigy IQ or P3. Everything else from there I'm stuck on. The Defender does have the military plug on it but I have no solutions for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2016, 02:16 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I guess the bigger question is...what do you plan to tow with that little 2.5??
Old August 17th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

If you do not have the trailer connection in the chassis harness at the rear cross member then you can use the wiring in the Right rear to connect everything up. You will have to get a converter and run wiring for the brake controller. You should have a constant power, purple wire, back there. I would fuse that wire if you use it.
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2016, 09:07 PM
GRNWOLF
Mike
1985 Defender ex MOD OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
I guess the bigger question is...what do you plan to tow with that little 2.5??
It has an OM617 in it now purrs like a big kitty.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

------ Follow up post added August 18th, 2016 07:09 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
If you do not have the trailer connection in the chassis harness at the rear cross member then you can use the wiring in the Right rear to connect everything up. You will have to get a converter and run wiring for the brake controller. You should have a constant power, purple wire, back there. I would fuse that wire if you use it.
So I was basically on track then? The converters and circuit protections I linked to would work then?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, brake, defender, defender 110, mod