EGT/ Pyrometer sender best location ???? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 8th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
EGT/ Pyrometer sender best location ????

I have been trying to figure out where these are best located. It seems there are two schools of thought- one 5-6 inches from the exhaust port (ie after the turbo) or before the turbo in the exhaust manifold itself. VDO sells a weld on bung so I'm guessing after the turbo on the downpipe ? This will be for a 200tdi Defender engine where the exhaust manifold is above the intake so easily accessable.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2008, 01:33 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Before the turbo is preferred since you will get a more accurate indication of the max temp in the head. After the turbo is generally used if it's difficult to install the EGT sensor in the exhaust manifold. I haven't tested it myself, but have heard that the after turbo location will be about 200 deg lower than before the turbo. So keep that in mind for max EGT's if you locate it downstream. I'm not sure about the 200 Tdi, but I thought the 300 Tdi's have a blank cover plate on the exhaust manifold where you can add a bung and install the EGT probe.
Old August 8th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Does the sender in any way impede the exhaust if put infront of the turbo ? 200 degree swing seems huge

Dividing Creek Imports

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2008, 09:01 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

EGT probes are relatively small in diameter, and won't cause a problem ahead of the turbo. I would extend it about halfway into the flowpath. A problem you could create by putting it ahead of the turbo is dropping chips into the turbo if you have to drill/tap a hole in the exhaust manifold. Best to remove it to do that work.

Regarding temp drop across the turbo, it's actually a good thing. Part of the turbo's job is convert heat energy (along with flow energy) into work to turn the compressor wheel. So the temperature drop is actually indicative of this.
Old August 8th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Sender unit ...

I had a sleeve welded on the exhaust manifold between the number 3 and 4 cylinder.

I will post pics in a bit.

Pat

Follow-up Post:

Here goes !

Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0358.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	14693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	14694  

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old August 8th, 2008, 10:18 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Mine is on the EGR blanking plate on the 300tdi - I guess that would be "downstream." That makes sense since I have never have never gotten above 900 in the Siskyous pulling a trailer.

Old August 9th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Pat,

Perfect ! Many thanks.

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions