EGT pyrometer questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 12th, 2014, 02:54 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

EGT pyrometer questions

I'm finding conflicting advice on the installation location for an EGT probe on the 300Tdi.

JSQ, John B., and Carl have all installed their probes on the exhaust manifold, pre-turbo.

Michele has installed his on the exhaust downpipe, post-turbo. Brian Hall prefers a post-turbo installation and says that post-turbo readings are useful in detecting imminent turbo failure.

I'm interested in hearing others' experiences with EGT placement.

I'm leaning towards post-turbo, one reason being that I don't want to have to tap a bung into my sexy new ceramic coated manifold. I should have plumbed for EGT before getting the exhaust coated but I forgot so if I have to mar the finish, I'd rather it be on the downpipe.

I'm also trying to find out if the skinny Auber Instruments EGT probe is compatible with the VDO EGT gauge. I just can't bring myself to cut my clean dash for one of the Auber digital gauges so I have to go VDO and I'd rather avoid the fatty VDO probe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2014, 05:12 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

If before turbo you'll have a better idea of the temps your engine is experiencing. And risk of damage

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 12th, 2014, 06:11 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Probe goes on the flat boss on the front of the mani. Drill tap install.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Yes, closer to the cylinder head will yield more accurate your readings. Post turbo can vary up to 300 degrees from pre-turbo, which leaves an awfully large margin for error when you're trying to tune the engine.

352-572-3236

Old February 12th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The turbo actually eats/drops a fair amount of the heat given that one side is pumping cold air. Ie the thermal energy that hits the turbo is designed to be significantly dissipated by the turbo. The entire point of an egt is to keep close tabs on the heat you are creating. Putting the probe post turbo is muting/dulling the reading and much lower readings should be considered alarming from post turbo, ie the pyrometer won't swing back and forth as quickly. The egr block off plate is the ideal location for the probe on a 300 manifold,if you are running that manifold. If you are running a modified tdi setup I would consider your EGT gauge the most important one inside the truck. Don't put the probe post turbo just because you don't want to mess up a "sexy ceramic coating". Having the little EGR block off plate re-coated can't cost much.
Knowing the accurate temp hitting your turbo seemingly is better information, rather than what temps are after the turbo has done its thing. Egt's don't just effect the turbo. You can burn a hole in a piston or even erode the exhaust valve seats in the aluminum cyl head if you aren't careful.

Put it this way, post turbo egt's would be like moving your coolant temp gauge sensor from the cyl head outlet down to the radiator return hose after the radiator has cooled the coolant as much as possible. You are no longer measuring engine temp but rather the radiators ability to cool it.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 12th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Ask yourself why you are installing the EGT in the first place. That should determine the location

There's nothing to suggest you'll have to re-coat the manifold if you tap it now. A good machine shop should be able to gently drill a flat area to tap without flaking the coating.

Personally I am very happy I got the digital gauge even though I had a VDO ready to install. I like being able to see that red warning light out of the corner of my eye occasionally to let me know. You can fabricate and powder coat a nice bracket for it to make it fit in with the layout of your dash. Get an Auber Boost gauge too so it doesn't look so lonely
Old February 12th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I have mine mounted in the EGT cover plate. Another thing not mentioned so far is to buy a probe long enough to get the tip to be positioned mid way in the flow of the exhaust stream. Careful how you weld the EGT mounting bung on the plate to have tip end up in the correct place.
Old February 12th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Probably good to point out that Chris is installing a VNT so in all likely hood it is not the stock manifold with a plate.
Old February 12th, 2014, 12:09 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Probably good to point out that Chris is installing a VNT so in all likely hood it is not the stock manifold with a plate.
This ^^^

No EGT plate. I had to do the same thing when I installed my VNT
Old February 12th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
I have mine mounted in the EGT cover plate. Another thing not mentioned so far is to buy a probe long enough to get the tip to be positioned mid way in the flow of the exhaust stream. Careful how you weld the EGT mounting bung on the plate to have tip end up in the correct place.
Dennis,
Was your bung welded on simply centered?
Thanks,
Pete
Old February 12th, 2014, 01:34 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Thanks, guys. Yep, I have the VNT and there's no plate. So, Jason and Carl, you guys just had a machine shop drill your manifold? Did you have a bung welded in to hold the gauge?

/
/
/
/
Old February 12th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
No idea how thick your manifold is, but I drilled and tapped my 200TDI manifold directly (for 1/8" NPT). There is more than enough thickness. No machine shop needed. If you plan on welding, make sure it is steel and not cast iron...

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 12th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I dropped it off at a machine shop as I wasn't able to do it myself. The Auber doesn't have a bung. It think it's optional. The shop guys advised against welding and suggested a direct tap. We picked the thickest part of the manifold which I believe was about 10MM. They drilled a flat area then tapped that location. Detailed images here. Note, as Dennis mentioned that the probe is centered in the tube.
Old February 12th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
Dennis,
Was your bung welded on simply centered?
Thanks,
Pete
I got my bung from Westach along with my gauges & probe. http://www.westach.com/

I welded the bung at an angle as to get the 2-1/2" probe into mid stream on my 300Tdi, EGT blanking plate.
Old February 12th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I dropped it off at a machine shop as I wasn't able to do it myself. The Auber doesn't have a bung. It think it's optional.
For the records, it does, or at least I got one with mine...
Glad to hear you're getting close to finish the installation.
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old February 12th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube II View Post
Correct. The auber is available in a number of different options. I considered using the bung but the threaded 1/8npt was easier on my cast 200tdi exhaust manifolds.
Old February 12th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The kit does not come with a weld in bung unless you order it specifically. The TC-KEGTS lkit comes with this probe. Options for it (including weld on bung) are listed below it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube II View Post
Old February 12th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

It's probably not the wisest to weld a bung onto the cast manifold for the VNT anyways. Cast is inherently difficult to weld, and with the extreme heat fluctuation the manifold will see I would be concerned with the weld failing. The wall thickness seems to be enough to drill and tap safely. I have a 2.8 swap in the shop currently that will be receiving the same treatment.

352-572-3236

Old February 12th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

^^^^^
That's exactly what the machine shop guys told me.
Old February 12th, 2014, 06:16 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I just picked up the VDO EGT, and the Auber Instruments probe and threaded adapter. I actually picked up both the 1/8" NPT and the M8x1 adapters. I will use the M8 unless it's significantly larger and/or the machine shop can't deal with metric properly.

I'm going to go with the pre-turbo location.

I'm not certain that the Auber probe will work with the VDO but I think it will because they're both Type K thermocouples and as such, should have the same characteristic function for E(T) over temperature.

/
/
/
/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions