EGT Location on a 2.5 19J - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 26th, 2016, 02:50 AM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
EGT Location on a 2.5 19J

Where is the best location to tap for a EGT sendor on a 19J 2.5TD? There is no blanking plate so it wold have to be tapped into the exhaust manifold....anyone have a picture of where they put one?

Adam

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by icnsltmfg View Post
Where is the best location to tap for a EGT sendor on a 19J 2.5TD? There is no blanking plate so it wold have to be tapped into the exhaust manifold....anyone have a picture of where they put one?

Adam
19j uses pretty much the same manifolds as the defender 200 tid. On those I have tapped the number 1 cyl runner just because of easy access. Vaseline on the bit and the tap minimize swarf into the manifold.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 26th, 2016, 11:40 PM
Whiesel
Eric Williamson
LR-90 300 tdi

Anyone tried drilling and tapping dry? Engine at idle. Cast iron dust supposed to blow out.
Could be a bit wobbly for tapping. Apparently used in aviation. Great???
Of course, really we should remove at least the turbo and maybe the manifold to do it properly.
Eric.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2016, 11:48 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The best reading is just below the turbo inlet. Pretty easy to pull the manifolds and tap it. Just need a new gasket.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 28th, 2016, 01:28 PM
bish1865
Bruce Bishop
1985 Defender 110

EGT location

I put mine just below the turbo. It works great in that location. Mine is a left hand drive truck I had plenty of room to drill and tap. I used a small magnet to extract the filings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160128_095622.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	140677  
Old January 29th, 2016, 11:34 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Drill into the manifold where the runners meet. I have a photo somewhere on here....

------ Follow up post added January 29th, 2016 11:34 AM ------

If you dont have a turbo, drilling in situ seems reasonably safe. With a turbo, i personally would do it outside of the truck.
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:11 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

New to this thread/option(EGR) so bear with me. Why not put it after the turbo? Increased temp from turbo bearings? Gas flow rate?
Blog;
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignotus View Post
New to this thread/option(EGR) so bear with me. Why not put it after the turbo? Increased temp from turbo bearings? Gas flow rate?
The temperature drops through the turbo due to the pressure reduction. The amount of temperature drop varies, so it is not a good indication of the maximum temperature that the turbine and engine is seeing.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:54 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
The basic thermodynamics of a turbo state that it operates as a heat engine. The energy of the exhaust gases, which almost entirely exists as heat, is what allows the turbocharger to do useful work in compressing additional air for the engine.

Therefore, without understanding how much heat loss occurs due to the turbo (the turbo and its bearings never add heat. They always remove heat. A percentage of the heat removed is used to do work; the rest is lost external to the system.) an EGT placed after the turbo provides you with a very difficult problem. You now have to solve a nonlinear equation with many more unknowns in order to determine your true exhaust gas temp coming out of the cylinder. Sounds like an interesting theoretical problem but not useful for your purposes, i think.

Every post made asking about putting the egt after the turbo seems largely to stem from the notion that it seems easier to install the egt probe after the turbo.

Yes, it will be easier, but the end result is that the information will be nearly useless.
Old January 29th, 2016, 03:41 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
Excellent...I will pass this on to the guy who is going to install...!
Adam

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old January 29th, 2016, 04:23 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
The basic thermodynamics of a turbo state that it operates as a heat engine. The energy of the exhaust gases, which almost entirely exists as heat, is what allows the turbocharger to do useful work in compressing additional air for the engine.

Therefore, without understanding how much heat loss occurs due to the turbo (the turbo and its bearings never add heat. They always remove heat. A percentage of the heat removed is used to do work; the rest is lost external to the system.) an EGT placed after the turbo provides you with a very difficult problem. You now have to solve a nonlinear equation with many more unknowns in order to determine your true exhaust gas temp coming out of the cylinder. Sounds like an interesting theoretical problem but not useful for your purposes, i think.

Every post made asking about putting the egt after the turbo seems largely to stem from the notion that it seems easier to install the egt probe after the turbo.

Yes, it will be easier, but the end result is that the information will be nearly useless.
Ed, Thanks to you and John for the answers. I didn't think it would be easier, my reasoning was that it would be a cumulative temp rather than one mostly obtained by being in opposition to one cylinder.
Blog;

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions