EGT install... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 30th, 2006, 12:02 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

EGT install...

I'm wanting to put an EGT guage on my 300 Tdi. How big a job is that and what's involved? Also, what are you guys that have them running in your trucks? I'm ready to start turning screws. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2006, 11:57 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverboy
I'm wanting to put an EGT guage on my 300 Tdi. How big a job is that and what's involved? Also, what are you guys that have them running in your trucks? I'm ready to start turning screws. Thanks.
When I did the diesel swap I changed all my gauges to VDO vision, they are the closet replacement to MY 97' OEM. I removed my clock/hazard/cigarette configuration and replaced them with 3 new gauges.

Pendy installed the EGT Gauge, so I can't help you with how involved it was.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old July 30th, 2006, 11:57 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I have the VDO Vision series EGT which fits in the dash (I moved the clock) and comes with the temp probe and everything you need. Because its more than just a guage, it costs a bit more than the other guages (most are like 30, EGT is over 100). Either way, its super easy. I took off the EGR blanking plate on the side of the turbo assembly, drilled a hole in the middle, and had a shop weld on the threaded "bung" that came with the EGT kit. The only wierd thing is that you can't shorten the wires that come with the kit because the guage is calibrated for a specific resistance (this is mentioned in the instructions) so you have a bit of extra wire that you have to tie up.

The only thing that requires planning is that your truck is off the road as long as your blanking plate off. I found a place that did the weld while I waited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2006, 12:32 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Thomas,
I also have the VDO vision series EGT guage. Just like Jim said It was a really easy install. the sensor comes with a tapored threaded piece to weld on the blanking plate.
Just a word of caution I welded mine myself and some where along the lind either getting the blanking plate too hot or at some other point I warped the blanking plate this proved very difficult to seal... just be careful.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me
Steve
Old July 30th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
My preference is the omega i32 digital temperature gauge, Comes with programmable alarms which change the colour of the numbers. You can also get a relay output on the alarm for sounding a buzzer. use it with a regular type K thermocouple.

http://www.omega.com/pptst/DPi_Series.html
DPi32-DC $175.00 for the basic 12VDC unit

or

http://www.omega.com/pptst/I-SERIES.html
CNi3222-DC $220.00 for the 12V unit with relay output.

http://www.omega.com/ppt/images/iserANM.gif
Old July 30th, 2006, 05:38 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

thanks for all of these replies. keep them coming.....I also have the VDO vision series speedo and I love it. all the stock gauges now suck in comparison. I'll be changing those out next.

does anyone have a specific part number for the VDO gauge kit?
Old July 30th, 2006, 05:42 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

John, Digital gauges in a Defender?! I have always thought analogs are easier to read - you get used to seeing the needle in the normal zone and can quickly notice when it is not. My preference.

And now for something completely different...a non-VDO gauge of all things!

Look at this page:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ghlight=isspro

I thought about adding an alarm or LED to this but haven't. I find myself looking at it constantly - especially on hills so an alarm is superfluous. A simple voltage sensing circuit inline with the thermocouple signal (amplified) set to whatever temp you want . You can feed this to an alarm and LED for that matter.

Found it new on Ebay for $70.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ghlight=isspro
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:36 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
For an EGT measurement, digital is better. This is because you are looking for small changes at the high end of the range. In addition, an alarm and a maximum reading storage (did I mention that it stores the maximum as well?) is handy as you can't alway watch the gauge while at full throttle.

Analog gauges are better for fast changing items.
Old July 31st, 2006, 10:23 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Do you really want to get so close to the "high end range" to observe small changes? I want to know when I hit 1200-1250, that's safe enough for me.

Again, an alarm set to your safe temp is readily done.

As for storing your max temp, that's just a gimmick. Your max temp is your safe temp. Why go higher?

This is my opinion. I'm sure you're as happy with yours as I am with mine. Gauge, that is.
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:27 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You store the maximum, so that you do not have to watch the gauge. You want to know what adjustments to the system are doing to the maximum EGT. Make an adjustment, do a run, note down the maximum EGT. Repeat and see what change has occured.

50 F on 1250 F is 4% change. That is small and hard to see on an analog dial.
Old August 1st, 2006, 04:05 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I usually do a test run on a known route, noting along the way 4-5 data points. I don't want to know just the max temp but what temp at these waypoints (on highway, up a hill, etc.).

My gauge has 50-deg increments - that's why I chose it. 12-o'clock it's at 800-F and 3-o'clock it's at 1300-F. That's a good range to be between, covering most temp-critical driving. It's also very easy to see, with the red needle and black on white.

I prefer analog gauges because, again, you train your eye to know the danger zone - in this case 2-3 o'clock. An instant look at it will tell you if you're good. That's why most auto racers use analog. Same thing with analog clocks. Your brain can instantly process this pattern.

To each his own...
Old April 1st, 2007, 07:22 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Finally installed the gauge.

http://members.shaw.ca/red90/dash.JPG

Digital gives exact numbers. Buzzer for high temperature alarm. Maximum value storage.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions