EFI chips - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 21st, 2008, 11:31 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

EFI chips

Someone on this board must know someone that can hack the GEMS ECU and make some NAS performance chips that work in all respects. Yes, Mark Adams does this, but the chips aren't 100%.
Does anyone know any other chip source other than Superchips?
Don't say RPI or JE because that is just a Mark Adams/ Tornado chip.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Powerchip is a major name in Mercedes SL performance chips. This is from their web site but I don't know how credible it is. Might be worth a call; here's a link:

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/

Your Land Rover Defender 90 3.9 utilizes a plug-in plug-out chip (EPROM). Fitting is simple and the Powerchip can be installed in about 30 minutes with basic skills and equipment. To install the upgrade software, simply locate the computer and un-plug the standard chip. Place the Powerchip performance chip into the socket and insert fully. Then, close the computer, re-install into the vehicle and start the engine to fully complete the installation process.

In standard form, the Defender 90 3.9 produces 182 hp and 232 lb.-ft.

Powerchip has a range of chips to suit your car, which can increase it's power to between 192 hp and 196 hp, and it's torque to between 243 lb.-ft and 248 lb.-ft.

The price of the Powerchip is USD $490.00.

In order for us to give you specific power improvements and pricing information, please continue on to the next page. By providing your email address, we will email you a comprehensive ten page datasheet specific to your car.
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:44 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I thought we went through this a while back and concluded that powerchips only did one of the two GEMS chips?

There is a guy named CharlieX that is famous in the lotus world who could probably do it, but you would have to convince him it was worth his time.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/member.php?u=2378

Ron
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2008, 12:55 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Its the Superchip that just pulls the timing in the one chip.

I have contacted Powerchip a few days ago, but nothing back from them yet.
I don't know what the Powerchip does.

I don't really need a turner, I just need someone that can hack the GEMS system and make chips. I can give them the parameters.

Old February 21st, 2008, 01:01 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Ah, I see.
Old February 21st, 2008, 05:18 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Here's what I know:

I use a Powerchip in my 1997 D-90. They provide a single chip. I've visited their offices in Santa Monica, CA, (not sure if they're still there though) and spoken with a couple of their engineers/programmers. From the look of what they showed me on a PC, it seemed as though they'd hacked the system, and come up with what in their thinking were optimized parameters. They had two chips, one for 91 octane, and an alternative chip for 93.

I purchased the chip when I was running the stock 4.0 engine, but have since upgraded to a 4.6. I'm assuming that the single 4.0 chip isn't fully exploiting the extra displacement's capabilities.
Old February 21st, 2008, 06:41 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

I 'had' the Powerchip in my truck. It's only the timing chip. Now have Mark Adam's chips. Mike - I don't think Powerchip will help you. I too would like to see another vendor. Mark Adam's chips are the best out there, but I wish we could get an American firm. I often wonder if some of the Brits can even spell customer service.
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:30 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Spoke with Powerchip and they said they have nothing for the application and are not interested in developing one, or so said Ron from their FL office.

The Tornado chips do not have the check engine light, so unless you scan the truck you have no idea if you have blown a code. They also over fuel like crazy and suck for cold starts. I'm at my wits end and looking for options.

Mark Adams is scheduled to come to ECR in early March in order to first hand address these issues on NAS trucks, because in the tests we have done they are not meeting our needed performance needs. So we have a number of trucks he'll be doing real world tests on. I hope it cures the issues.
If it does I'll post some stuff from his visit on the ECR site.

I agree about the Brits... I'm married to one, but quality and customer service seem to be missing from the "English" language over there for a lot of companies...

Old February 21st, 2008, 08:48 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Mike - thanks for the data. Agree with the overfueling. The wall of my garage is splattered with black residue from this condition. I thinks it worse than normal for me since I'm at 5Kft and travel up to 12K. (But I hope to fix that soon with more displacement.) An anomaly I've experienced is turning the key to start the truck the Check Engine Light does not illuminate resulting in the truck not starting. Turn the key back to the 0 position, retry, CEL illuminates, and then starts. Have you experienced this condition? Truck throws no codes. Mark says he could fix it if I send my ECU back to him. Says it related to the security and disabling logic. I'd like to get this fixed, but getting a hold of him is let's say difficult, as you know. I think he's a good guy, just typical Brit Customer Service.
Old February 21st, 2008, 09:03 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

The "no start" or "delayed start" condition is a problem and is one of our concerns. Over time it can mean the security system will "lock" the ECU and you will not be able to start the truck.
We have had this happen a couple of times.
The 97 90 has "parts" of the Euro immobilizer system in it, and when you chip it the immobilizer gets confused. When and if it happens the ECU needs to be sent for a tweak to delete the problem. A chip won't solve it, nor will a reset.
When you say "no codes" do you mean no "check engine light"? Or do you mean you scan the truck and find no codes with a scan tool?
You know that the check engine light is not hooked up in your chip set right?
It flashes at start up, but thats it.

The Tornado chip is based on the 4.6 HSE chip and it constantly throws a gearbox code because there is no brain for the gearbox in a Defender, so the light is disabled.

Mark is brinigng a set of 9661 chips (NAS D90) with the 4.6 Pursuit tuune in them to test. My fingers are crossed.

Do me a favor... email or call Mark and tell him your concerns. The more data he has to look into while at ECR with actual NAS trucks the better this might go.
He doesn't believe me that the fuel trim goes to max at cold start up. AKA the black crap on your wall.

Old February 21st, 2008, 10:21 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Mike - thanks for the 'great' news. Didn't know it may leave me stranded. I guess the tweak you mention is why Mark said he needed the ECU to fix it. Last summer he was was at one time planning to coming over for the National Rally in Montrose. I was going to see if he could bring his equipment along to fix this problem. Need to really pin him down now.

When I say 'No codes' I mean when sticking a scan tool up to it. Both the generic ODBII scanner I own as well as our mechanic's rover scan tool.

Understand about the CEL non-functional. Just a illumination at start-up is all I expect.

Can do on the request for data. This weekend I'll put together a write-up, take images, as well as copy you on the traffic to Mark. If nothing else, you can show it to him when he arrives.

For your 4.6 pursuit are you running non-stock injectors? This is one of those questions I wanted to ask him . Just wondering if upgraded injectors would atomize the fuel better and help the fat mixture issue.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 06:39 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Correct. We have not run the stock (crap) Lucas injectors in a long time. We don't run stock fuel pressure either.

Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:25 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxcart13
Mike - thanks for the 'great' news. Didn't know it may leave me stranded. Need to really pin him down now.
Mark will be here starting March 5th
If you want to send your ECU to ECR at that time he can likely do the tweak and that would save you UK shipping and vehicle down time. He will likely charge a fee, but at least it would save vehicle down time.

Old February 22nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Mike,

Would you mind recommending injectors? I have 38 lbs pressure so not too worried about that, but I am looking to solve power going a bit 'soft' at and above 3300 rpm full throttle (I've had this issue since acquiring the truck 6 years ago when it was stock). She's really pulls nicely between 2000 and 3000 wide open.

I have an RPI-sourced Tornado that was 'custom-programmed' for my 5 liter tvr/rover engine. I do have the cold start issue (which Chris at RPI said was a delay to build oil pressure before ingnition kicks in) but it's still rough after ignition kicks in, when ambient air temp is colder than say 60 degrees. I do however get codes just as i did with the stock chip -- maybe because I'm using the original 93 hot-wire efi not gems.

Any thoughts appreciated. Might want to upgrade to a new chip if/when you work something out.

Thanks,

Doug W.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:16 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Not sure what ECR uses but we've been using Ford 5.0 FI for several years with great success. Works great for standard tuning and for modified. Use the same injector for both and allow the engine management to lengthen the injector pulse rather than using a larger injector.

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsENGLAND.asp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old February 23rd, 2008, 06:23 AM
vesparover
brian bertolini

Hi Matt, What kind of difference do you get from these injectors? I have a built 4.6 that I'm having issues with running rich and hard starts. Wondering if maybe it's an injector issue?
Thanks
Brian Bertolini
Old February 23rd, 2008, 10:24 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Doug,
I wouldn't want to suggest injectors until I ran your engine with an air/fuel meter and the computer. I don't know enough about your set up to make any important choices for you.
I'll leave that to all the internet experts here.

As for your start issue. The RPI chips are built that way with a delayed start. I hated it so we have that feature removed from our chips. Customers didn't like it either.
Your 14CUX system should work the check engine light (its the GEMS we still have issues with, 14CUX is fully sorted) and if you want everything to work 100% you should be running the X38 chip. It replaces the 3038 chip that your NAS 110 originally had. The X34 and others still have small bugs when used in the NAS 110 ECU. You may not have come across them yet, but they are there.
As for pressure... matching the injector to the fuel pressure is the biggest thing needed in order to cure cold running issues. 38 psi is likely a little too low for your set up. Sometimes just raising it 2 psi will cure the cold start atomization issues, assuming your chip has the right fuel set up and you don't have anything else out of spec.
If you have had that chip for some time you might want to talk with Mark Adams about an update. We finally (I hope) got all the settings right for the NAS 110 14CUX just last Fall, so if your chip is older than that it could stand to be updated. Mark is good about updating... if you can rach him.

We used to use Five-O injectors, until we started having to send back units from sets that were dead. In the end was 1 injector at least from each set of the Ford injectors.

Old February 23rd, 2008, 03:37 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Thanks, Mike. My chip is a couple of years old now so I guess I need to start hunting Mark Adams.

(PS Would love to come visit you guys one day. I might have mentioned when we talked on the phone a few years ago that I once skippered the Anjacaa out of Camden for the IBM brats. Lived in Searsmont on Lowry Rd. and had a lovely '66 109 that I bought from Nick Derivitsky. This was circa 1980.)

DW
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:54 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesparover
Hi Matt, What kind of difference do you get from these injectors? I have a built 4.6 that I'm having issues with running rich and hard starts. Wondering if maybe it's an injector issue?
Thanks
Brian Bertolini
No difference really in the injectors. I have no issues with the Lucas injectors other than being huge $$$. The Ford injectors do the same thing for less money.

Apparently they are all crap though.

I would doubt that just putting new injectors in would solve your issues. Your question may have be relavant to Mikes initial post however. Depending on what "chip" you are using in the EFI management.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Mike - sent an email to Mark and cc'd you with images and description of conditions. Thanks much for the offer to send ECU to you in the coming weeks. Will take you up on the offer. Mark

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions