Effect of disconnected cyclone breather - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 7th, 2010, 01:15 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Effect of disconnected cyclone breather

I'm still digging around my '84 300 TDi, and found that the air output of the cyclone breather does not go to the turbocharger inlet as shown in various manuals and web pages, but instead to an open line that simply dumps the air out just below the driver's side door.

Someone needs smacked.

I'm going to plumb it to the turbocharger inlet; it's a custom inlet pipe, as the PO wanted to keep the original filter housing. Is there any harmful effect of running the engine with the cyclone breather air outlet disconnected? It's been this way since new, as far as I know, and the engine now has about 40,000 miles.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
diesel crank cases tend to have pressure naturaly- part of the idea behind the air line from the filter is to put the crank case under vacuum and to recyle and burn any crank case fumes. Not sure what the down side might be.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 7th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Doug, once again you are a book of knowledge. I would not leave it the way it is. I would not think that it is a big issue but you are most probably contaminating your oil faster the way it is. I have seen some of the conversions that have been done overseas to be less than what I would do. But then again that's me.
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2010, 07:24 AM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

This brings up a subject that I have been wondering about for a while. How do you know when it is time to clean or replace the cyclone breather?
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:40 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I would leave it like that, if you connect it to the air intake circuit it will contaminate your intercooler with oil vapors and deposits.
Old December 7th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
the main down side I can think of is that if your crank case isn't under vacuum you are more likely to force oil past your seals

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 7th, 2010, 10:32 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
the main down side I can think of is that if your crank case isn't under vacuum you are more likely to force oil past your seals
How much vacuum are we talking about, because this part of the engine has not a very tight seal...
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The cyclonic air/oil seperator is designed to work with suction. As far as how much vacuum- that rises and falls with rpm just like you would expect crank case pressures to rise and fall with the crank weights spinning like fan blades. The point being more crank case pressure is more likely to force oil out past seals and gaskets than if there was little to no pressure.

A classic sign of a diesel with issues is to pull the dipstick and hold your thumb over the tube while reving the engine. There shouldn't be pressure there.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 7th, 2010, 01:14 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Thanks - I still plan on connecting it. I can't see this line hanging there a foot or so off the ground being a good thing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
disco