ECU Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 15th, 2005, 09:23 AM
dbwitt
Darrin Witt
1995 Defender 90

ECU Question

I checked the previous threads and did not see an answer to my question. This should be an easy one for most of you folks out there. When installing an ECU in a 4.0 litre engine do you need to have it programed in any way by the dealership or do you plug it in and drive away? I have one that is not functioning and the dealership wanted 2500 hundred dollars. I got one for 600.00 hundred bucks. But the dealership guys tell me they need to program it. I thought it came programed to work on the 4.0 already? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Where did you buy it from? I would think the ECU should be all set unless it was running a different engine (like a 4.6). I am not 100% on the 97's ECUs but I thought it was just plug it in and go.
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:19 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I think the ECU has to be matched to the vehicle anti-theft/immobilization "computer". You connect them to Rovacom and it programs them to recognize each other. Then you have a "legitimate" combo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

95 -- humm. I put a 95 disco ecu in my 93 and it works like a bomb.

Just plug it in and run it. If it's a near year, can't hurt a thing, imho. I bought mine from RoverLandParts in FL for $250.

DW
Old June 16th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

OK I am a little confused, is this for a 4.0 or a 3.9? If it's a 3.9 then what Doug said is right they are plug and go. If it is a 97 then it may not be as simple.
Old June 16th, 2005, 08:32 AM
dbwitt
Darrin Witt
1995 Defender 90

It is for a 4.0. The dealership says they need to program it. 3.9 is plug and play. The dealership here in Charleston, SC is not a total rip off-most of the time.
Old June 16th, 2005, 10:27 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

It's for the '97 only. There's a black box behind the gauge cluster I believe that needs to be told that there's a new ECU installed. Otherwise they won't work together. It's some kind of security feature.
Old June 16th, 2005, 04:34 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Wow, those 3.9s do actually have an advantage over the 4.0/4.6
Old June 17th, 2005, 06:49 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I had a problem with my check engine light and my speed sensors, I thought it may be a bad ECU. David M. was selling his a while back so I bought it. I just swapped them out, no problems at all. It didn't solve my check engine problem but it was not because of the ECU. If you ask me you can just swap them.
Old June 17th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Any 14CUX can be swapped with another 14CUX, imho. They are the same, whether from a Triumph or Jag or Land Rover. I believe the 93 thru 95s all had either a 14CU (93) or 14CUX. Says what it is on the box. The 14 CUX can be swapped for a 14CU but not the other way around.

So says RPI (www.v8engines.com).

Doug W.
Old June 17th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

you said '95? Do you have the serpentine belt with distributor? Or Distributorless?

Your ECU is under the passenger seat I believe, correct? Does it have a model number on it? As mentioned above 14CUX would be the distributor style ECU. The distributorless type does need to be programmed IIRC.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ecu