Defender Source Forum banner

ECU compatibility

Tags
ecu
974 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Raz 
#1 ·
I'm trying to research the differences in the 14CUX ECU and I'm not finding much information on how to tell the difference between them by the code or model number. I found that 80505 is for 3.9 cat and 80506 is for the 3.9 non-cat. My assumption is that this is catalytic converter equipped. Also, I know there are automatic and manual transmission specific ECU's, but I don't know how to tell the difference. It could be the "A" designation as in 80506A. Anybody out there that can shed some light on this for me?

#3 ·
The map is switched by an external resistor for the cat / non cat / ROW ... I think they are all compatible.

#5 ·
I've read about ten threads and it sounds just like stated above. They all pretty much work, but it may be necessary to have the unit reset to learn the new truck.
I'm getting one to add to my spares and would just need it to get me home. Dont really care if it throws codes.
Thanks guys.

#6 ·
electrical output from speedo sensor tells ECU whether you are moving and your harness contains a resistor to tell the ECU it's not in park / neutral.

Some versions of the ECU have a speed limiter ... probably much faster than my truck is capable of!!

bottom line is yes there are variants ... but your harness and car determine the operating mode.

#7 ·
Thanks. That's what I was hoping.

85 MPH speed limiter would not have much of a chance to kick in for me either. I had my truck cruising at 70 last week and it caused my 10" side mirrors/airbrakes to tip back. It was very smooth, but I don't see it going 85 in comfort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.