ECU compatibility - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 19th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
ECU compatibility

I'm trying to research the differences in the 14CUX ECU and I'm not finding much information on how to tell the difference between them by the code or model number. I found that 80505 is for 3.9 cat and 80506 is for the 3.9 non-cat. My assumption is that this is catalytic converter equipped. Also, I know there are automatic and manual transmission specific ECU's, but I don't know how to tell the difference. It could be the "A" designation as in 80506A. Anybody out there that can shed some light on this for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2012, 08:26 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Doesn't matter search lots of threads on this.
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:41 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
The map is switched by an external resistor for the cat / non cat / ROW ... I think they are all compatible.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
Cat/non-cat shouldn't make a difference then, but I keep coming up with statements like this:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...94&postcount=4
Same thing is stated on other sites.
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
I've read about ten threads and it sounds just like stated above. They all pretty much work, but it may be necessary to have the unit reset to learn the new truck.
I'm getting one to add to my spares and would just need it to get me home. Dont really care if it throws codes.
Thanks guys.
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:03 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
electrical output from speedo sensor tells ECU whether you are moving and your harness contains a resistor to tell the ECU it's not in park / neutral.

Some versions of the ECU have a speed limiter ... probably much faster than my truck is capable of!!

bottom line is yes there are variants ... but your harness and car determine the operating mode.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
electrical output from speedo sensor tells ECU whether you are moving and your harness contains a resistor to tell the ECU it's not in park / neutral.

Some versions of the ECU have a speed limiter ... probably much faster than my truck is capable of!!

bottom line is yes there are variants ... but your harness and car determine the operating mode.
Thanks. That's what I was hoping.

85 MPH speed limiter would not have much of a chance to kick in for me either. I had my truck cruising at 70 last week and it caused my 10" side mirrors/airbrakes to tip back. It was very smooth, but I don't see it going 85 in comfort.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ecu