Ecu Code 03 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 16th, 2007, 10:04 AM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

Angry Ecu Code 03

I am currently suffering a bad problem with my 94 d90 3.9.

1.While driving my engine stalls, check engine light flashes on, I hear a clicking sound from the ecu area. I am able to push through it, the check engine light goes out out and everything is back to normal. this is happening repeatedly lots of clicking from the ecu area. I do get a code 03 (one web site stated that as ecu memory reset). I can reset the ecu and it will solve the problem for a couple minutes.

2.After the above problems there are times that the engine will run very rough and the exhaust is horrible like incomplete combustion or cylinder not firing.

3.Then there are times that I will driving and the truck will stall. I will try to restart it. it will start, but then then die, no idle. I will try again and again. finally after a while I will start it and it will be fine. With this problem there are no codes.

I have just put a new tank of gas in it with 93 octane to see if that makes a difference, but it did not. Number 1. happens everytime I drive. Number 2. happens about once a week. Number 3 has happen a couple times.

If you see a white d-90 on I-25, 6th ave, or 470 in denver with flashers on it is me trying to get home!!!

I have search this forum along with other forums, but just get nothing similar to the code 03.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2007, 07:14 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Do you have an ECU you can borrow from someone else for a few hours and see if this is the problem?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:30 PM
chuff
Chris
'94 D90

Angry

Hey Brian- were you able to figure anything out? Having very similar issues to your #2 and #3 with mine lately. Was driving around doing errands tonight and I could just feel the idle getting weaker at stop signs, so I decided to point it in the direction of home. Almost made it back, but it crapped out 2 blocks away. If I give it a few hours, 99% chance I bet it will start up and run for 20 minutes before doing it again. Otherwise I'm towing it to carmax tomorrow!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I'm sure you're just venting, but if you do decide to get rid of it let me know. I am looking for a 90.
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I'd start looking for other electrical issues in the ignition first, particularly bad wiring in the area of the alternator and the battery. Has any electrical work been done on it lately? What do the other lights in the truck do, such as the headlights/dash.

If the ECU was dying, generally they just go bad and that's it, nothing intermittant about it. Even if the memory on the ECU was reset, it should be going into the pre-programmed fuel maps and it would run a bit rich but it would run stable. And if other sensors/systems in the fuel system were going bad, it would give different trouble codes. The clicking from the ECU area is most likely the fuel pump relays fluttering due to intermittant power, either intermittant to the ECU or intermittant for the whole ignition system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Thats a good point...Check the Batt. cables and all the major ground points on the vehicle to start.
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:44 AM
chuff
Chris
'94 D90

Was able to start it up fine this morning and bring it back home. My guess is that once it warms up, I'll end up going through the same thing--but I'd rather not experiment an hour before work!

The truck had a dead/old battery for a few weels, which I swapped out on Sunday...so the ECU was reset. Last couple days has been the first time it's been running since early Feb. Headlights/interior seem to be fine (though the dash lights work when they want--but I've gotten used to that over the past 5 yrs). The ignition coil was replaced a few months back.

Also, I should clarify, I haven't checked which code is being shown--though I do remember the check engine light coming on as I rolled into a parking space last night.
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:51 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjenk
I am currently suffering a bad problem with my 94 d90 3.9.

1.While driving my engine stalls, check engine light flashes on, I hear a clicking sound from the ecu area. I am able to push through it, the check engine light goes out out and everything is back to normal. this is happening repeatedly lots of clicking from the ecu area. I do get a code 03 (one web site stated that as ecu memory reset). I can reset the ecu and it will solve the problem for a couple minutes.
Corroded connector to the ECU? ECU full of water? You should not hear a lot of clicking unless you have a bad connection somewhere (I assume the clicking are some relays like the fuel pump relay clicking).
Code 03 means that the ECU was unplugged right? Happens everytime you physically unplug the ECU (this one will disappear by itself, no need to clear the code [IIRC]).

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuff
Was able to start it up fine this morning and bring it back home. My guess is that once it warms up, I'll end up going through the same thing--but I'd rather not experiment an hour before work!
Then it should be "easy" to troubleshoot.... Just need time and patience.... You're right, just before is probably not the right time! ;-)
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:27 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

I did replace one of the relays and clean out the MAF and Throttle Position Sensor. Truck ran strong with no problems for about two weeks...But has now returned with the same symptoms. i bought another ECU, but problems still persist.

I have purchased a new cap/rotor and fuel pump (have not installed yet). I plan on giving it a tune up and then going from there.

code 03 does not mean ecu unplugged that would be code 02. 03 is something about the memory (www.rangie.com) and this is the code that will flash when the car loses power and chugs/lurks.

So, I have not found a solutions as of yet. I keep reading other posts with similar issues. I will post when I figure this out.
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Well, at the end of the day there are only 3 things that keep an engine from running: Spark, Fuel and Air. I would check for spark first as it is easy to do. This is sounding more and more like a bad connection to something. Check the connections at your coil and at your fuel pump relay too.
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:31 AM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

I don't have much time to spend repairing my rover due to other irons in the fire. But I followed closely Scott Yates' posts about his trouble. So today before my wife was leaving I figured I would pop the hood and check out the corrigated tube between the MAF and Intake Plenum...SURE enough I have a huge hole in the bottom of mine that was caused by a zip tie that secured the speedo cable (looks like it was to keep the cable from direct contact with the exhaust).

So I taped it up quickly and my wife was off. She called and said that I should thank Scott Yates, because the 90 ran great!!!

There was a lot of oil collected at the intake plenum though, that has me concerned??? Any thoughts?
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:27 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Bumping an old thread....having similar issues to what is described by OP with my '94. I see Brian is still active on here so hoping he'll chime in with what the cause of his issue was, and if the hole in the tube between the intake plenum was the final cause. I'll check it but other causes I'm currently thinking:
1) fuel pump (likely the culprit)
2) VSS (vehicle speed sensor)
3) stepper motor
4) fuel pump relay (not likely)
5) fuel filter (not likely)

Any input?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:25 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Sounds very much like an air leak in a hose ... start truck ... spray carb cleaner along hoses ... truck will stumble where it leaks and gets sucked in ....
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ecu