Ecm unsupported for nj inspection - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 5th, 2011, 11:44 AM
bbamboo
barry
1979/defender90

Ecm unsupported for nj inspection

Customer has a 1997 defender 90 , built for asian market which has been restored for us market. We cannot get monitors such as (engine misfire, catalytic convertors etc. To readiness status. Vehicle has msb100760 ecm number. We were advised we s would need to change to ecm number msb 000120. Is there anyway around changing ecms? Will new ecm get monitors to read ready or are there other problems ahead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2011, 11:54 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

What do you mean restored? Jap trucks are nas trucks.
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:02 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbamboo View Post
Customer has a 1997 defender 90 , built for asian market which has been restored for us market. We cannot get monitors such as (engine misfire, catalytic convertors etc. To readiness status. Vehicle has msb100760 ecm number. We were advised we s would need to change to ecm number msb 000120. Is there anyway around changing ecms? Will new ecm get monitors to read ready or are there other problems ahead?
What is the issue? You can't read the ECU codes? or ??

NAS and Japanese 90s share the same ECU family and no changes need to be made for the US market in regards to the ECU.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2011, 01:25 PM
bbamboo
barry
1979/defender90

unsupported ecm

the state inspection computer checks readiness status of vehicle monitors. see understand you can use a snap on modis scanner and hook up to vehicle. if you check the monitors status either under generic or manufactures specific you will see that the monitors so as unsupported
Old December 5th, 2011, 02:31 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbamboo View Post
the state inspection computer checks readiness status of vehicle monitors. see understand you can use a snap on modis scanner and hook up to vehicle. if you check the monitors status either under generic or manufactures specific you will see that the monitors so as unsupported
OK... I'm not reading you on all that but...

If you are trying to hook up a scan tool/ state inspection computer to make sure that there are no codes present and that the system is working correctly so the truck can pass inspection and you can't make that happen, then that likely means that the 90 has an aftermarket stereo installed and that the installer removed the factory amp from under the passenger seat.
What you need to do is go into that wiring and correct what the stereo guy did and connect the grounds (black wires) as they relate to the OBD2 systems diagnostic port.

To test, start the car and let it run. Then switch it off and turn the key immediately to the ACC position. In that position you will have a 10-15 second window where you can access the ECU, then it will go dead. Its not enough time to read codes, but it will tell you that the stereo wiring is the problem.

We see this all the time and it is a stereo installer error, bet you 100. bucks the truck has an aftermarket sound system and that the factory amp under the seat is missing.

Old December 5th, 2011, 04:29 PM
bbamboo
barry
1979/defender90

ecm not supported.

we do not have nay problem accessing the computer with the modis . we can access it read misfire codes and check operating status of engine. this is not the same as readiness of emmission control and usnsupported status which we read on the snap on modis and emmission machine . if we had a problem with the data link we could not communicate with the vehicle.
Old December 5th, 2011, 04:50 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

OK, good luck.
All the Japanese 90s we have had here (about 8) have all had the same ECU chips and system as the NAS units with 9661 chips inside them.

Old December 5th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Possibly check the pinout of the OBD connector? It may be different for the JDM market, also have you tried the easy route and swapping the ECM for a known good US version?
Old December 5th, 2011, 07:02 PM
bbamboo
barry
1979/defender90

we have no problem communicating via the obd connector. if we had one we would rather then look to purchase one.
Old December 5th, 2011, 08:57 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Doesn't the MODIS have it's own power supply? Most state inspection machines here are very basic when it comes to OBD2 readiness checking. If you can read the readiness monitors with a basic handheld code reader then you usually have no problem getting the inspection machine to do the same.

If its got an aftermarket stereo, take ECRs suggestion and try again.

Unrelated, but Isn't the vantage scanner better at interfacing with the rovers than the MODIS anyhow?
Old December 6th, 2011, 07:45 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
If its got an aftermarket stereo, take ECRs suggestion and try again.
With the aftermarket radio set up you can either read or you can't. So if they can read with a scan tool then it would be good to go.

bbamboo:
If you want another ECU drop me a line. I have one I will sell.
Also remember that the ECUs are coded to the cars, so you will have to buy a coded unit or have the unit you buy coded to the vehicle and it takes special equipment to do that. An ECU from another car will not work in that car until you code it.
info@eastcoastrover.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
inspection