EBC Brakes? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 18th, 2012, 05:56 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
EBC Brakes?

I am going to do a complete brake job (including caliper rebuild) on my '97 D90 SW.

Now is a good time to go with something a little more substantial - with higher performance than stock. I've not heard of "dimpled" rotors before running across these (see link below) on Atlantic British. Anyone have any opinions of these or of EBC products in general?

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/FTC902EBC.cfm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2012, 06:01 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I am running EBC green pads and Brembo Rotors... I am very happy. Rotors where a lot cheaper than those. I can't speak on the difference between the EBC Rotors and the Brembo ones..
Old June 18th, 2012, 06:19 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am running the EBC rotors and pads...love them! Have less than 5K miles on them but no squealing or fading and do not dust excessively like some of the stock replacements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2012, 07:31 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I used to run EBC sintered pads on my motor bikes ... basically pads with metal flakes in them ... They were fantastic and the wet weather performance is not impeded ... 120mph ... backwheel off ground braking into paddock hill bend at brands hatch .... check!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 18th, 2012, 09:49 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I ran a set of their pads. They were okay I guess. I'm back to Genuine Parts pads which always work well. I run Disc Brake Australia rotors, vented and slotted, front and rear. These are awesome and totally worth it.
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:12 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
EBC makes good stuff. Dimpled rotors allow gas to escape from between the pad and rotor, which may otherwise cause pressure and reduce the braking force (kinda like a air hocket board), but they do it without going all the way through like drilled rotors which are much more prone to cracking

That being said, you are never EVER going to get your brakes hot enough on a defender to need dimpled rotors or anything of the sort. On my 3300lbs race car I run blank rotors, they wear better, cost less, and are stronger.

A good set of pads that operate well at low temperatures (100-300 degrees) is the most important thing. If you start the car, drive down the road and need to slam on the brakes, you want them to btie the first time, and not have to get up to operating temp to be effective... Personally I would see which pad operates at the lowest temp and has minimal dust, and get those.

If Raybestos makes rotors for these trucks get those (NAPA).... i dont care what anyone says, they are dirt cheap and great rotors. I've warped $200 Brembo rotors in one weekend, and had $70 Raybestos rotors for an entire year without an issue.
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Oliver Whiting
Oliver Whiting
84 110, 94 NAS90,Bunch of EX-mods

Cross drilled rotors plug up very quickly with mud and are not worth the money on an off road vehicle. Stick with the stock rotors and pads.
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:09 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf
I am running the EBC rotors and pads...love them! Have less than 5K miles on them but no squealing or fading and do not dust excessively like some of the stock replacements
I have EBC green pads and dimpled rotors in the rear of my truck. Will go the same up front when I replace the axle this summer. But have had the same results as Jeff.

I also, pulled the plates - the seemed to hold more dirt and everytime I see them they are rusty.
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:48 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Atlantic British "el cheapo" rotors and Mintex pads. Brilliant! No complaints. "Peformance" rotors are unnecessary.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 19th, 2012, 09:13 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

I like my EBC pads and rotors. they take a little bit of time in the rain to catch but other than that they are great. I abuse mine living in the city.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old June 21st, 2012, 10:20 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I just replaced my pads last weekend. With Atlantic British OEM pads. The stopping power is a little weak. I bled the system too. Do these need to break in? Some of the passes here in Colo don't leave much room for weak brakes.
Old June 21st, 2012, 01:59 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Hmm, I just use the autozone stuff which is a combination of Italian made front rotors (Brembo) and chinese rear rotors. Seems ok.

Robert Deniro
Old June 21st, 2012, 07:51 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Im running brembo on the classic with mintex its pretty shitty stopping its heavy though. I bought some chinese rotors and oem pads from roverguy for the defender, it stops awesome. I like the ATE brake fluid.
Old October 15th, 2013, 12:10 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Resurrecting this old thread because I never got around to doing the work - but now my brakes and rotors are toast.

I'm curious if those of you running EBC are still happy with them.

Also, anyone have problems rebuilding their calipers? Any reason to think I should buy new or re-manufactured calipers?
Old October 15th, 2013, 12:20 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
I run EBC greenstuff pads with Standard Rotors. It stops nicely.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake