ebay's intercooler anyone? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 6th, 2012, 09:33 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
ebay's intercooler anyone?

I would like to fit a full width intercooler to my 200tdi and the ebay options seems at a right price. I found a couple of intercooler 24 x 12 x 3 for less then a 100$. Anyone bought and fitted one of those? Compare the price to Allard or any other big names in UK, it seems too good to be true. I am sure there is a big difference between a 1000$ intercooler and a 100$ one but, it ain't a race car and it seems alright for my need, anyone?

Thanks,
Jeff
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2012, 05:19 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
No one fitted a bigger intercooler to a 200tdi? Seems to me that d-90 is for V8 Rover more then anything else, is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:17 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I've been thinking about it myself due to some fit issues with the 2A front. With the Steering box, I can't really fit the Defender 200 Tdi radiator/intercooler assembly. Will probably go with the cheap one too.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2012, 08:07 AM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

There's nothing special about intercoolers. A more expensive name brand isn't made out of some special pixie dust, its just the fact that people still will charge a premium for name brands and don't want to pay for parts made in China. Most if of lately is made in China anyway, even the premium priced parts, that or Mexico, take your pick. China has been producing some products of good quality lately. Some companies will label their products "made in USA" but they are assembled of Chinese components.

Whats the components of an intercooler that make one inferior to another? Premiums (might) have been engineered better, more hours at the drawing board, plenty of dyno time, could flow better. Chinese, they let everyone else do the hard work and just copy it. I wouldn't be too concerned over who made it or how much it cost, I don't see a point of failure in an intercooler, aside from poor welds or ill fitment. On the other hand I wouldn't install Chinese components that require a great deal of engineering to manufacture, or any that failure would put my safety at risk.

We sell and install some very high priced, well known products labeled and sold by highly respectable Japanese manufacturers whom now have them made in China.

If you go with any intercooler make sure you inspect it very well, try to flow some air through it, or flush it with water, then let it dry or flush again with alcohol. I installed new intercoolers to a brand new Nissan GTR.. 100 miles later we had a massive engine failure due to some small metal bits trapped in the intercooler which loosened and sucked in the engine. One in a million chance though.
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by giftshopduane View Post
There's nothing special about intercoolers. A more expensive name brand isn't made out of some special pixie dust, its just the fact that people still will charge a premium for name brands and don't want to pay for parts made in China. Most if of lately is made in China anyway, even the premium priced parts, that or Mexico, take your pick. China has been producing some products of good quality lately. Some companies will label their products "made in USA" but they are assembled of Chinese components.

Whats the components of an intercooler that make one inferior to another? Premiums (might) have been engineered better, more hours at the drawing board, plenty of dyno time, could flow better. Chinese, they let everyone else do the hard work and just copy it. I wouldn't be too concerned over who made it or how much it cost, I don't see a point of failure in an intercooler, aside from poor welds or ill fitment. On the other hand I wouldn't install Chinese components that require a great deal of engineering to manufacture, or any that failure would put my safety at risk.

We sell and install some very high priced, well known products labeled and sold by highly respectable Japanese manufacturers whom now have them made in China.

If you go with any intercooler make sure you inspect it very well, try to flow some air through it, or flush it with water, then let it dry or flush again with alcohol. I installed new intercoolers to a brand new Nissan GTR.. 100 miles later we had a massive engine failure due to some small metal bits trapped in the intercooler which loosened and sucked in the engine. One in a million chance though.
well said
Old June 8th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Ive got that exact ebay one. Works great
Old June 8th, 2012, 09:59 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
I would like to fit a full width intercooler to my 200tdi and the ebay options seems at a right price. I found a couple of intercooler 24 x 12 x 3 for less then a 100$.
Do the ones for less than 100$ come with end tanks welded on?

It's not hard to make a good intercooler. I would trust the ebay intercoolers.

If the buyer has a good rating and the intercooler input/output ports are on the correct side of the truck buy 'em.

If I was boosting a car to 3 bar then I would worry about construction, but for a truck barely pushing 0.7-0.8 bar, I wouldn't worry at all.
Old June 8th, 2012, 11:06 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
I used an ebay special on my Td5, other than fab'ing brackets it works great....
Old June 8th, 2012, 12:21 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Is there a way to make sure not particle nor welds could get in the engine? That's my main concern..

Old June 8th, 2012, 12:28 PM
rayfi
Derek Moeller

Please post a link to the ebay intercooler you are talking about.

Thanks
Old June 8th, 2012, 12:32 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
Is there a way to make sure not particle nor welds could get in the engine? That's my main concern..

No just make sure its clean looking, its really a one in a million chance, we do FMIC's all the time and have never run into it before nor after, it was an isolated incident so don't let it ruin your day.
Old June 8th, 2012, 12:35 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

I used one of these on my Land-Cruiser diesel swap. I just pressure washed the inside out with hot water, and dried it out thoroughly. On initial startup I left the intake hose off the engine so the turbo blew out whatever was left in there. It seems to work fine. I run 22 PSI through it, no issues.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old June 8th, 2012, 12:51 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I believe the ebay ones are not cross flow, i9e they do not have a baffle that divides the tanks. that would make air flow not go through the intercooler just bypass it.
Tony (16kpsi) bought one and welded a plate through the tank to force the air through the intercooler. That is a great option for those that can weld aluminum.

Another option is to get a cross flow intercooler from one of the cheap outfits. I bought one from CX racing that I was goign to use on my S1 200tdi... but I may go a different direction.
The intercooler from cxracing seemed to be of a very good quality.
Old June 8th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Allisport and the like make their intercoolers in the UK. There are differences between a good intercooler and a cheap one. It has to do with shape fo the tubes and arrangement and spacing of the tubes and fins. How much it really makes a difference on a 110hp motor? Probably very little. I thought we established that the cheap-o IC's sold on ebay for 300tdi's were divided at the opposite tank.

A few aluminum particles in a cast iron engine shouldn't cause catastrophic failure. Though I guess if they were slightly bigger than 'particles'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftshopduane View Post

Old June 8th, 2012, 04:09 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Allisport and the like make their intercoolers in the UK. There are differences between a good intercooler and a cheap one. It has to do with shape fo the tubes and arrangement and spacing of the tubes and fins. How much it really makes a difference on a 110hp motor? Probably very little. I thought we established that the cheap-o IC's sold on ebay for 300tdi's were divided at the opposite tank.

A few aluminum particles in a cast iron engine shouldn't cause catastrophic failure. Though I guess if they were slightly bigger than 'particles'...

Right.... and a lot of the off shore brands copy what bigger names have designed and save on the R&D. He's asking about a cheap one.

Wasn't aluminum that took out the motor, it was a piece of steel, didn't pop the motor but stuck to the piston crown and did its fair share from there..From where? 99.9% the intercooler, why? not sure but it happened. It was a premium inter cooler and it was the only part of the system open, and I did the work, just saying the probability it will happen again, slim. But..could be the Queen herself assembling them I would still check, as I do with everything I put on a car.

For the application I would say go with the cheapo..
Old June 8th, 2012, 04:32 PM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
This is the one I used
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_117 Jun. 08 16.30.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	52678  
Old June 8th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Oliver Whiting
Oliver Whiting
84 110, 94 NAS90,Bunch of EX-mods

For $100 bucks I think I would steer clear. As far as performance on a Tdi I would not spend the money on a bigger intercooler. Not enough gain to justify the cost of a good quality intercooler and they do restrict air flow through the radiator. Stick with the stock if you have it.
Old June 10th, 2012, 06:49 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Not looking for performance with a capital "P" but if the charged air is cooler it might help to reduce thermal stress on the engine. Where I live it's all hills. Always climbing and if I had an egt it would be high temp most of the time. The 110 is my working vehicle so it's on the heavy side with tools and stuff. A bit more power would be appreciated but again, 107hp 20 years ago would be now 80hp now? If I could do the same "run" without always going in third, it would be a sufficient gain for me. When ever one wants to tweak the pump, it's always about the amount of fuel possible in the chamber. If the air is cooler you might be able to squeeze more in (up to a certain point). The original intercooler is small and old. Wouldn't it be a good place to start? I know that branded cooler would be a benefit but a cheap china cooler would be a good step forward? Then tweak a bit of this and a bit of that...

Old June 10th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

If you've run the same inter cooler for 20 years, just giving it a good clean out might not be a bad idea.
You'll be amazed at all the gunk that accumulates.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ebay