Easy Gas Mileage Bump - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 25th, 2007, 06:55 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

Easy Gas Mileage Bump

About a month ago I advanced my timing from the factory spec 5 BTDC to 7 BTDC. The downside is that I have to run mid-grade fuel now, but the upside is that my gas mileage went from around 13 to 15.5-16 MPG. It's well worth the extra 10 cents per gallon.

I waited a while to post this in order to run through a few tanks of gas to make sure it wasn't just a fluke. But the last 3 tank fulls have all come in between 15.5 and 16 MPG. There hasn't been performance degradation as far as I can tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2007, 09:11 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
So you used to run the 3.9 on regular? Is that what most people do? I'm a V8 newbie!
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:01 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
So you used to run the 3.9 on regular? Is that what most people do? I'm a V8 newbie!
I believe we're suppose to use premium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2007, 10:11 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I`ve always used premium, for what it`s worth. For those of us that arn`t the most mechanically inclined (which will prove interesting next year when I start building up a 110), what all is involved with adjusting the timing?
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:27 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscratchggf
For those of us that arn`t the most mechanically inclined (which will prove interesting next year when I start building up a 110), what all is involved with adjusting the timing?
I resemble that question!
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:54 AM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

I ran regular fuel because it didn't cause any knock. I figured, why waste money otherwise? Octane is not a measure of fuel quality or potential energy. It's just a measure of preignition (knock) resistance.

To adjust the timing all you need is a 14mm box wrench and a timing light. Make sure the engine is warmed up to normal temp. Attach the timing light to the battery & #1 spark plug lead. Loosen the nut on the distributor retaining clamp. Start up your D90. Shine the timing light on the main engine pulley and you will see a metal marker on the crank case lined up with marks on the pulley. On my D90 each mark is 2 degrees. Rotate the distributor a teeny bit until the marker is lined up where you want, in this case between the 6 & 8 degree marks. Shut off the engine, clamp the distributor back down, and restart & recheck the timing to make sure you didn't bump it off your setting. That's it.
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

The octane rating is the percentage of pure octane (the organic compound) in the fuel. The higher the percentage of octane, the more reactions per molecule takes place. So it actually is a measure of potential energy.

I just spent a semester in organic chem and that was one of the few things i retained.
Old May 28th, 2007, 01:35 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

Kris,

You are right. Octane does have a slightly higher heat of combustion and higher octane gas does have slightly higher energy though a two percentage point difference in octane/heptane rating (e.g. 89 vs. 87) results in a pretty small difference. But I do stand corrected on that.
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

no problem, im just happy that i actually learned something that I can apply to my daily life....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas