easiest way to carry extra fuel?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:52 PM
cneal
Charles Neal
97 d-90, 99 & 04 disco's

easiest way to carry extra fuel??

What is the safest and easiest way to carry additional fuel on a d90?? On the roof or on the rear bumper?? Can you put an auxilary fuel tank on a d90?? Pictures of different set-ups would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:51 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

The fist two options under 'custom mods' on this web page are about people who did auxilary fuel tanks. This came up not to long ago - there was someone that wrote on this page that thought it was the best modification he ever did.........

I can not believe the size of the D90s fuel tank. I would love another 10-15 gallons to get that crusing range up. I used my D90 for 7 years as a daily driver........and it was not fun at all how often I had to stop for gas. The D90 is no longer a daily driver, and usually does errands close to home. The small tank is not quite as noticable.

Right now I am putting money into making sure the vehicle is running well and keeping up with the maintenance.

Flagg
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:03 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

In my exmil 2.5NA diesel I put an extra 40L tank in the rear which combined with the stock 60L side tank gives me good capacity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:20 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Search.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
cneal
Charles Neal
97 d-90, 99 & 04 disco's

Bert, I know exactly what you mean about the size of the tank. I do alot of off highway work here in Utah and I'm always worrying about running out of fuel miles away from a gas station. On a good day I get 16 miles to the gal. Off highway I get about 12-13/gal.

Andrew, where did you buy your aux tank from and where and how did you install it.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 07:57 PM
headdamage
Andrew

I bought the tank from a guy on the board here... it was a custom job and not a very good one because it mounted using nuts welded to the tank. I build a heavy duty cradle/skid plate for it insted and it's been ok that way. It is a rectangle with all square angles so it would be easy to make one as long as you or your welder can run a bead that doesn't leak. The fill line and vent run over the rear axle and across the top of the frame to the Y filler that I welded up so that both tanks can be filled from the stock fill point. I used GM fuel swtiches and a sperate sedimenter for each tank to plum it all up. Just have to get around to installing a second fuel guage or a switch for the senders.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:18 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneal
What is the safest and easiest way to carry additional fuel on a d90?? On the roof or on the rear bumper?? Can you put an auxilary fuel tank on a d90?? Pictures of different set-ups would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck.
Look in custom Mods.
The second one down is a Euro 90 tank (standard) holds 55 Litres, bolted straight in and is the best think since sliced bread. Total capacity 135 litres and a range of around 900 miles on road (It's a tdi )
I've filled up in Calais and driven to Northern Spain without visiting a fuel station
Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:01 PM
oldgreentrucks
Jim Pace

I have been very happy w/ the 9 gal Rover Accessories aux tank that mounts outside the frame rail underneath the passenger side. Fabricated a "Y" filler neck to fill both tanks from the stock filler port. Simple switch activates transfer pump w/ indicator light when "on".
Pics available if interested.
Jim.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:04 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The easiest way to carry extra fuel is to put it in a Jerry Can. The Aux tank is probably a cooler accessory though.

Old January 4th, 2007, 02:00 PM
cneal
Charles Neal
97 d-90, 99 & 04 disco's

After reading about all of my options, maybe the easiest way for me at this time would be to use my old wilderness rack that I had on a RR Classic a few years ago. I would like to install the aux tank but it looks like to much work. Is there a way to mount the wilderness rack to the existing exterior roll bar so that I dont' have to mount it on the gutters??
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:57 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneal
After reading about all of my options, maybe the easiest way for me at this time would be to use my old wilderness rack that I had on a RR Classic a few years ago. I would like to install the aux tank but it looks like to much work. Is there a way to mount the wilderness rack to the existing exterior roll bar so that I dont' have to mount it on the gutters??
I am not a big fan of securing anything heavy on the top of my vehicule, it definitely affect the center of gravity (hence driveability and anything around it....). You're better off have a jerrycan or two secured in the back of the truck (behind the driver/passenger seat seems a good spot).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old January 6th, 2007, 10:26 AM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgreentrucks
I have been very happy w/ the 9 gal Rover Accessories aux tank that mounts outside the frame rail underneath the passenger side. Fabricated a "Y" filler neck to fill both tanks from the stock filler port. Simple switch activates transfer pump w/ indicator light when "on".
Jim.
Hey Jim, could you post some of those pics? Thanks!
Old January 6th, 2007, 11:12 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgreentrucks
Jim.
If you can't easily post the pics here, send them to me at
d90 dot nas at gmail dot com
and I'll post them here (and host them for a little while on a separate web server for higher resolution pics).
I am specially interested in:
- the Y setup (saw another thread where a Yota Y filler could be used but seemed rather expensive)
- what sender you are using inside the tank (I am assuming you have both a pump at something that tells you how much gas is in the tank)
- details on the rail/protection you built and how it sticks out underneath (if it does that is! :-))

Thx!
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old January 6th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

Yes Pictures Please, I am looking at some long distance desert driving in Nevada and would much rather have the aux tank than to have to carry more jerry cans.
Old January 7th, 2007, 12:21 AM
oldgreentrucks
Jim Pace

Pics posted at: http://imageevent.com/jimpace/landroveritems
The 9 gal tank does NOT stick below the rail. The custom "Y" was easy if access to a welder, but practice cutting & welding round objects at an angle. I used a center steel pipe for the filler but could also use rubber hose. No problem w/ clearance for stock suspension and tire. No idea about clearance for highly modified suspesion w/ huge tires?
I use this modification every couple of days and the extra fuel at the flip of a switch is excellent! 4:1 gears, Roverdrive and the aux tank make a very nice package.
I would like to install a fuel pressure switch w/ indicator light to let me know when the aux tank is empty then just read the fuel level in the standard tank...like we all do.
Jim
Old January 7th, 2007, 01:22 AM
headdamage
Andrew

deleted
Old January 7th, 2007, 02:50 AM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

Ahh, just install the Tdi and get 500 miles per tank. :-)
Old February 11th, 2007, 10:24 AM
oldgreentrucks
Jim Pace

I cannot say how pleased I am w/ the RA 9 gal aux tank! Fuel when you need it at the flip of a switch...no stopping, fumbling w/ jerry cans up on a rack. For any highway trips it is great. Solid 350+ miles between stops. Everyday use means not having to stop for 8-10 gals of fuel. When I do stop it is 20-24 gals.
I have not located a low enough pressure switch (currently using 2 psi) for an indicator light that is activated by the fuel flow itself, but have other ideas.
For what it is worth...
Jim

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel