Dyno tuning ECU... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 8th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Talking Dyno tuning ECU...

Just had the truck re-chipped, using a four-wheel-drive dyno, to work out all the bugged points. She's been my primary driver for 7 years and she's never run better! I've had a flat spot in the torque curve at 3200 rpm (since I bought her) with both stock and Tornado chips, stalling issues with the Tornado, rich and lean conditions at different points, etc. All of that is GONE. Totally smooth, agressive power curve all the way through to 5000 rpm. Climbed the southbound 405 hill at the 101 at 80mph yesterday AM, no joke! Torque comes on strong at 2500 and LASTS. Nice. Happy camper here. Just FYI for those fighting for perfection.

If you live in L.A., the shop that has the dyno is www.ottosvenice.com.

(I'll be selling the Tornado (RPI) when I return from Germany in about a month.)

DW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2009, 11:08 PM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Cool. Do you think they can work on a Td5 110? Would love to fix my flat spots.
Td5s are OBD2.
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Don't know about diesel. Give them a buzz?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Doug - was the chipping done in LA comparable to the Tornado chip? I have one in my D90SW. Pretty happy with it except the fat conditions at idle.

surf110 - for what it's worth, I have TD5alive chip in my TD5. Quite the difference it made and Gary provides unusual (exceptional) customer service from our friends across the pond.

Mark
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:15 AM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Mark,

I have an Allisport chip. Mine is a pre-02 so no flashable.
I have a flat spot when you're first gear as soon as you release the clutch. If almost stalls every time.
What kind of Td5 do you have?
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

My original ECU was non-flashable as well. (It's now a spare) I picked up a new flashable ECU, but in hindsight should have purchased a used one from Gary. He can sell you the ECU and put an initial tune on it before shipping. I spoke with him on the phone once, and did everything else via email. He was very responsive, even cutting me a tune on a Saturday, which I have found to be uncharacteristically good UK customer service.

I bet that flatspot is annoying. As a data point, I have a slight incline up my driveway into my garage. With stock tune I'd have to give it some fuel in 1st. With the new tune I can idle up into the garage. It's quite nice on the trail to just idle through some areas.

The main reason I wanted the chip was highway performance. I particularly noticed a flatstop at 2400 RPM. The truck cruises around the moutains pretty nice now. Comparable to my 90 with a 4.6. It's a diesel so acceleration is slow, but the torque on the hills in good.

Also, I have an Allisport Intercooler, removed the EGR, and new hoses. If you go this way I'd be interested to hear your feedback. I asked for my tune to be a little mild consider my altitude range (5K to 10K +). Being in LA you can run a little fatter. Mark
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Mark,

The new chip replaced a Tornado. The Tornado was pretty good, I had thought -- but the custom chip seems to create about 15% more power. What worked here was actually running the truck on a dynomometer as the chip was created...
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Good for you - 15% is significant. Bad for me, in CO.
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:41 PM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxcart13
My original ECU was non-flashable as well. (It's now a spare) I picked up a new flashable ECU, but in hindsight should have purchased a used one from Gary. He can sell you the ECU and put an initial tune on it before shipping. I spoke with him on the phone once, and did everything else via email. He was very responsive, even cutting me a tune on a Saturday, which I have found to be uncharacteristically good UK customer service.

I bet that flatspot is annoying. As a data point, I have a slight incline up my driveway into my garage. With stock tune I'd have to give it some fuel in 1st. With the new tune I can idle up into the garage. It's quite nice on the trail to just idle through some areas.

The main reason I wanted the chip was highway performance. I particularly noticed a flatstop at 2400 RPM. The truck cruises around the moutains pretty nice now. Comparable to my 90 with a 4.6. It's a diesel so acceleration is slow, but the torque on the hills in good.

Also, I have an Allisport Intercooler, removed the EGR, and new hoses. If you go this way I'd be interested to hear your feedback. I asked for my tune to be a little mild consider my altitude range (5K to 10K +). Being in LA you can run a little fatter. Mark
So you can swap a non-flashable to a flashable? I thought they were very different. Was it a straight plug and play?
I need to email Gary.
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:39 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Anything to improve the stock 3.9 would rock!
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Quote:
So you can swap a non-flashable to a flashable? I thought they were very different. Was it a straight plug and play?
I need to email Gary.
Not plug and play - need a Nanocom or Rovercom to get the security and immobilizer synched up. If you don't have a Nanocom I highly recommend you get one. It's literally 5 minutes to get a new ECU up and running.
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:38 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolvedic
Anything to improve the stock 3.9 would rock!
\

re-gear, problem solved.
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Careful Bill. It's a slippery slope when you start down that path. Don't ask me how I know..... Mark
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:01 PM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxcart13
Not plug and play - need a Nanocom or Rovercom to get the security and immobilizer synched up. If you don't have a Nanocom I highly recommend you get one. It's literally 5 minutes to get a new ECU up and running.
I have a Nanocom and I removed the 10AS immobilizer, so it should even easier.
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

You have to give Gary your Nanocom ID and the VIN in your ECU. The tune is coded with this information so we can't pass it around freely. Mark
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:27 AM
d90dan
Dan Berry
1995 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Just had the truck re-chipped, using a four-wheel-drive dyno, to work out all the bugged points. She's been my primary driver for 7 years and she's never run better! I've had a flat spot in the torque curve at 3200 rpm (since I bought her) with both stock and Tornado chips, stalling issues with the Tornado, rich and lean conditions at different points, etc. All of that is GONE. Totally smooth, agressive power curve all the way through to 5000 rpm. Climbed the southbound 405 hill at the 101 at 80mph yesterday AM, no joke! Torque comes on strong at 2500 and LASTS. Nice. Happy camper here. Just FYI for those fighting for perfection.

If you live in L.A., the shop that has the dyno is www.ottosvenice.com.

(I'll be selling the Tornado (RPI) when I return from Germany in about a month.)

DW
Wondering.. how much did the chop charge to tune? Im at $75 an hour for drag cars and wonder how D's compare.
Old September 11th, 2009, 03:26 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Doug....

Where did you get the programmable/flashable chip?

Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ecu