Dynamat or Ice & water shield - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 11th, 2007, 01:53 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Lightbulb Dynamat or Ice & water shield

Not sure how many of you are gonna be familiar but there is a product called ice & water shield that is used in roofing. Essentially it's a peel and stick rubber matting used along the last course of roof shingle in cold climates to prevent ice and water from getting under the shingles. Alternatively, I've heard it can be used as a sound deadener like dynamat. Any body ever hear of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2007, 02:16 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

I would have thought it highly flamable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 11th, 2007, 05:52 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Supposedly it's like weight and fire resistance. http://www.na.graceconstruction.com/...sons%20Why.pdf

Seems a bit too think to be a deadner though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2007, 12:52 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I used it in my truck and it works great. I bought a 100sq foot roll for $89. Great improvement in stopping heat and decreasing noise. Did the roof, floors, bulkhead, doors, seatbox and transmission tunnel cover. I highly recomend it.

Follow-up Post:

Actualy, stuff I bought is called Peel and Seel or Peel and Stick and it is a little thicker than Water and Ice Shield but it's used for the same purpose.
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:24 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Typically products used in house construction are not "highly flammable." I mean, wood is flammable, but its not exactly a hazard.
Old October 12th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Just my 2 cents worth...
If you're going to use any of the rubberized asphalt self adhesive flashings made for the construction industry, get some of their primer as well. The adhesive on that stuff is pretty lame. Oh, and apply it on a warm day. On a cold day it hardly sticks at all.
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:40 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward
Just my 2 cents worth...
If you're going to use any of the rubberized asphalt self adhesive flashings made for the construction industry, get some of their primer as well. The adhesive on that stuff is pretty lame. Oh, and apply it on a warm day. On a cold day it hardly sticks at all.
The stuff I used was just the opposite. The stuff sticks like crazy. In fact I have used it to repair a radiator hose. I was going to add that be sure you want the stuff because once it is applied it is just about permanent.
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
The stuff I used was just the opposite. The stuff sticks like crazy. In fact I have used it to repair a radiator hose. I was going to add that be sure you want the stuff because once it is applied it is just about permanent.
If you don't mind checking, what's that stuff called that you used, Kevin?
I sell the stuff made by Grace, as well as a couple others. Even the manufacturer recommends using the primer in about any application, and in the winter I've seen it fall right off the wall.
If you found something that much stickier, I'd be interested.

Thanks,
Rod
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:18 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

RAAMmat

Quote:

Thanks,
Rod
I used this stuff and it was incredibly sticky. In fact, I got some on my pants which made its way onto one of the chairs in my family room and I got holy hell from my wife. I ended up using disposable gloves and throw-away clothes much like as if I were painting the outside of a house. I am very happy with the result but it was a very dirty job.

http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:27 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
If you don't mind checking, what's that stuff called that you used, Kevin?
I sell the stuff made by Grace, as well as a couple others. Even the manufacturer recommends using the primer in about any application, and in the winter I've seen it fall right off the wall.

Thanks,
Rod
Ron,

The stuff I used is call Peel-N-Seal. It's self adhesive on one side and and aluminium on the other. I applied it directly over the paint with no issues. I did just read on a Toyota Tundra forum where a guy had it un-stick from his door but maybe he didnt clean the door panel prior to applying it. Heat and cold have had no adverse affects on my truck so far.
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Ron,

The stuff I used is call Peel-N-Seal. It's self adhesive on one side and and aluminium on the other. I applied it directly over the paint with no issues. I did just read on a Toyota Tundra forum where a guy had it un-stick from his door but maybe he didnt clean the door panel prior to applying it. Heat and cold have had no adverse affects on my truck so far.
It sounds like it's a little bit different. Thanks for checking!
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Ron,

is it flammable? how is it's thermal insulation capability vs its sound deadening? does it do one better than the other?
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:32 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
is it flammable? how is it's thermal insulation capability vs its sound deadening? does it do one better than the other?
I'm sure if you hold a flame to it long enough it would take off. The aluminum reflects a lot of heat. If the stuff is used for roofing I am sure there is some flame resistance to it. The main reason I used the stuff was to deaden the sound. My 130 crew cab has no headliner so it sounded like a tin can inside. I lined the entire ceiling with the stuff with the intention of having a upholstery shop make a headliner. That was almost 4 years ago. Still have the shiny aluminum ceiling in my truck but the differance in sound deadening is night and day, just a dull thud when I tap on the roof instead of a high pitch tin can sound. It also cut the heat on the roof way down. On a trip to the desert a few months ago it was well over 100F out. The outside surface of the roof was hot to touch but the inside was barely warm to the touch. I also applied it to the inside bulkhead and applied a aluminized insulation blanket to the bulkhead in the engine bay. I have zero heat coming through the bulkhead now. It's ugly but it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0963 (2).JPG
Views:	209
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	10692   Click image for larger version

Name:	heatblanket.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	10693  

Old October 12th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
I'm sure if you hold a flame to it long enough it would take off. The aluminum reflects a lot of heat. If the stuff is used for roofing I am sure there is some flame resistance to it. The main reason I used the stuff was to deaden the sound. My 130 crew cab has no headliner so it sounded like a tin can inside. I lined the entire ceiling with the stuff with the intention of having a upholstery shop make a headliner. That was almost 4 years ago. Still have the shiny aluminum ceiling in my truck but the differance in sound deadening is night and day, just a dull thud when I tap on the roof instead of a high pitch tin can sound. It also cut the heat on the roof way down. On a trip to the desert a few months ago it was well over 100F out. The outside surface of the roof was hot to touch but the inside was barely warm to the touch. I also applied it to the inside bulkhead and applied a aluminized insulation blanket to the bulkhead in the engine bay. I have zero heat coming through the bulkhead now. It's ugly but it works.
did the insulation blanket in the bulkhead help with sounds as well? looking for solutions to diesel noise.

also, I'm as concerned with insulation that can keep the heat/cool in with the climate controls, as well as influence by the external temp. ie help the heater work in winter, and help the a/c work in summer. is that an issue given that the aluminum foil is one sided?
Old October 12th, 2007, 02:18 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
did the insulation blanket in the bulkhead help with sounds as well? looking for solutions to diesel noise.

also, I'm as concerned with insulation that can keep the heat/cool in with the climate controls, as well as influence by the external temp. ie help the heater work in winter, and help the a/c work in summer. is that an issue given that the aluminum foil is one sided?
I dont think the blanket would help as much with sound as it would with heat. It's a fairly lightweight blanket. The Peel n Seal should help keep the interior environment more stable due to it's insulation properties but that is purely speculative on my part, I dont have A/C and the heater in my truck is just barely adequate.
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:00 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Kevin I had the same intentions with the inside of my FG hardtop for my 90. The only difference being I waqs going to use a marine grade carpet over the "Dynamat" or other product. 3M 77 spray adhesive and a roll of marine grade carpet. The carpet is very inexpensive on websites like boatcarpet.com or overtons.com and it looks great. It's also mold/mildew resistant. I'll have to see how it goes. Maybe I can throw up some pics when I'm done.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
water