Dynamat on ST Doors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:51 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Dynamat on ST Doors

As other threads have mentioned, it is amazing how well Dynamat silences road noise. You can now carry on a conversation and hear the radio -- such a novel thought! The kicker is that nice sounding thud when closing the doors. While the cards are out, it is also a good time to fog the inside of the door channels and the seam to the skin with Waxoyl. The thin tube that comes with the can is long enough to reach 100% of the channel through the screw holes. For reassembly, used those panel screws with the oversized washers from RN thinking they will help prevent tear out. Easy $50 project that goes a long way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3036.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	50404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3049.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	50405  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3061.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	50406   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3066.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	50407  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:06 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
You gonna do the rear tub and footwells? Looks good! My defender had some Sound deadening when i bought it, never had to deal with it.
Old April 16th, 2012, 11:53 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Thinking I am good enough in those areas by the rear rubber LR mat (the one that also covers the wells) and two sets of floor mats (the OEM insulated HD mats topped by the newer LR mats -- which are thin crap). I have an extra sheet and half of Dynamat remaining so I might do the bottom of the seat boxes and just up the sides to the floor elevation and stop there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Spook
Rich
97 Defender 90

Registry
I have two rolls to get down to business. I just have all the projects lined up. Waiting to take the top off to get in more area. I plan to dyno mat a lot of the areas and shoot the rest with the dynamat spray in the tub and the fiberglass top.
Old April 16th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I solved my road noise problem with an extra battery, bigger amps and more speakers with a 15" Kicker sub.

Robert Deniro
Old April 16th, 2012, 06:37 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
I solved my road noise problem with an extra battery, bigger amps and more speakers with a 15" Kicker sub.

Thats noise pollution.
Old April 16th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Thats noise pollution.

Really depends on what you consider noise pollution. Personally I like loud music.

Robert Deniro
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:31 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Sounds like a good project. Can you explain what you mean by fog? Maybe some pictures?

Thanks!

Quote:
While the cards are out, it is also a good time to fog the inside of the door channels and the seam to the skin with Waxoyl. The thin tube that comes with the can is long enough to reach 100% of the channel through the screw holes.
Old April 16th, 2012, 11:08 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

The fog is what comes out of the nozzle of the clear waxoyl. It is what you are supposed to put in your frame cavities, door bottoms, and hinges every now and then.

When it comes out it looks like a fog and coats everything well.
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:59 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Russell, I've read/heard doing the underside of the hood makes a remarkable difference too.

Clay
Old April 18th, 2012, 11:03 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

With a v8 I don't see why you would need to. Tdi is a different story
Old April 18th, 2012, 12:20 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Russell, I've read/heard doing the underside of the hood makes a remarkable difference too.

Clay
Looking to leave the hood alone (and any other visble place alone). Besides, I can't even hear the engine above the growling of your old KM2s!

Swapping out the y-pipe with the Magnaflow cats to the used D1 factory y-pipe/cats made the engine sound wimpy. I had no idea that cats could make that much of a difference so I'll swap out the one bad Magnaflow cat and put that y-pipe back in.
Old April 18th, 2012, 03:37 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I'd solicit some opinions on your y-pipe theory as I too wouldn't think the cats would affect the engine noise unless that noise was your engine begging for the cat to be replaced. But I'll buy the y-pipe back if you do swap it out

Now a magnaflow exhaust is a different matter.
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:00 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I'd solicit some opinions on your y-pipe theory as I too wouldn't think the cats would affect the engine noise unless that noise was your engine begging for the cat to be replaced. But I'll buy the y-pipe back if you do swap it out

Now a magnaflow exhaust is a different matter.
The D1 y-pipe works great, thanks! No issues on that front. The magnaflows produced a throaty growl guessing due to their "high flow" design or marketing BS. They peformed and sounded like a champ when you got on the gas until the left side gave out causing the blockage (not a quality issue of the cat, due to the abuse of tooling around with the #3 and #7 wires being swapped in a prior life). As for opinions, don't know, but a quick google search shows the same thoughts in the jeep world. Perhaps is a placebo but not to my ears of of my son's. LOL

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f221/...verter-770715/
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:07 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Maybe the "high flow" does that - just didn't think it could/would make a difference! I've never noticed a difference in sound between the aftermarket cats I am running now and two different stock setups on the same truck but it could also be my untrained ear and the fact that I prefer not to hear the exhaust over the engine.
Old May 14th, 2012, 03:11 PM
pdella
Paul
1997, Defender Alpine White

Registry
I am considering using Waxoyl vs Ziebart- there is no Waxoyl rep in the DC area and would have to drive all the way to PA or Conn to get it done and it will cost 2x.. I do it my self- the spray equipment is close to $400... how hard was it to do yourself? can you contact me directly for a few questions? 703-625-3746
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:28 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdella
I am considering using Waxoyl vs Ziebart- there is no Waxoyl rep in the DC area and would have to drive all the way to PA or Conn to get it done and it will cost 2x.. I do it my self- the spray equipment is close to $400... how hard was it to do yourself? can you contact me directly for a few questions? 703-625-3746
You can purchase the thin Waxoyl from Rovers North. About $20 for a large aerosol can. It comes with the long spray tube and fitting. Join us at happy hour this Thursday and we can complete a door for you. Easy project. Kilroys in Fairfax.
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:40 PM
pdella
Paul

Registry
I won't be able to make it- out of town on Thursday...bummer.. Interesting alternative on the Waxoyl, I will check into it. what about the undercoating stuff that they sell- don't you need to buy the spray gun that they sell? Where do you suggest I take the truck for repairs in the DC area? I have a ton to stuff to do the the truck.... I would welcome the opportunity to pick your brain on a few items- Newbee..
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:35 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I used marine insulation from West Marine - the stuff they use to insulate inboard motor cowlings from noise and heat - in my doors. It works great, has a very satisfactory-sounding thud when closing, and road noise is substantially reduced.

The WM stuff is self-sticking, then foam, then a suspended layer of some kind of rubber, then foam, then reflective mylar. It's tough stuff, too, being meant to go on boats. I was thinking about doing under the hood as well and perhaps the firewall in the engine compartment.
Old June 11th, 2012, 12:11 PM
pdella
Paul

Registry
Thank you!

My son and I did the door project this weekend and good thing we did- door seals were leaking and rust was forming inside the rails! We used the waxoyl in the screw holes like you described, installed the dynamat inside the doors and going to replace the window/door frame gasket. Love the solid sound of the door closing and the door speakers sound much better- Great project!! Thank you for posting it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door