Dynamat extreme in Montreal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 12th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Dynamat extreme in Montreal

Sorry guys, I know it may not be the best place to post this but I am a bit in a hurry because willl spend a few days in the Montreal, Canada area next week and I want to purchase some Dynamat Exterme stuff (I was considering buying the bulk pack) in a store in this area.
Can anybody suggest a store?
I want to buy it tomorrow if possible through the Internet and have it shipped to my hotel since I will not have time available to go and buy it myself.

I want it to do reduce the noise and heat a bit in my defender

thanks !
SG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I wouldn't bother with all the effort and the haul back. The stuff really doesn't work all that well anyway. The only proven way to quiet a Defender is turn it off.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:45 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I just bought some Dynamat Extreme from Crutchfield as part of my radio/speaker order. Santiago - the website is www.crutchfield.com if you didn't already know. Crutchfield is a pretty big mail order company so I am guessing they might be able to help.

The stuff isn't cheap but I'm just installing in the doors to hopefully help with the new speakers. I'm not expecting much but would love it if the Dynamat helps with the tinny sound of the doors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2008, 01:25 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Check to see if Best Buy or The Source aka Circuit City carries it.
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:17 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

I wonder how it compares to "brownbread". I used it in a '65 mustang a few years ago.
I see it has been changed....but at the time it was supposedly superior to dynamat.

you may want to compare the specs
http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Tom Morrison
Tom Morrison
94 NAS 90 (300 TDI)

Future Shop stocks dynamat, or they used to.
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Do you guys agree with Buck?

Doesn´t it make any difference aplying some Dynamat to the floor?

Thanks for the data!

SG
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:24 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I agree with Buck. I think I added 70-90 pounds of the stuff. The only place it is noticable is under the hood. And not for noise. It cuts down on heat to the hood surface, making it touchable. Otherwise, I personally feel it was a waste and will be a pain to strip out some day.

The only place I did not yet put it is on the bulkhead. I was waiting for the day I swapped to a new bulkhead for this effort. Not sure if I would still do it.
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

David,

Have you used exactly the same stuff: Dynamat Extreme?

Cheers,
Santiago
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:52 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago
Do you guys agree with Buck?

Doesn´t it make any difference aplying some Dynamat to the floor?
6 of 1, half dozen of the other...

Some people swear by it. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=98865

This is a really detailed article that discuss a lot of different product choices like Dynamat Extreme, B-quiet and a few others... http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
David,

Cheers,
Santiago
Yes,

Back when I cared about noise I put it all over. Spent $200 on the stuff, didn't notice a difference at all. Then had to remove it and cursed the whole time. The only thing that made a noticable difference for me was carpet. But it started to stink.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:27 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
David,

Cheers,
Santiago
Yes, the extreme as well as hoodliner in the roof and hood.
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:02 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I never liked lining the hood as it merely reflects heat back at the engine. At least the hood transfers it out.

But, in all honesty, I think this is being made a bigger deal that it deserves. If you move the intake to the front of the bay to get cooler air that's all you need.

Here's what I like:

1. Do not put anything sticky down that cannot be easily removed. Do not use those spray-on insulation products!

2. Use acoustic foam lined with aluminum for heat reduction in the foot wells and the roof. A white painted roof cuts down on heat but a little more reflection deosn't hurt.

3. Acoustic foam in the doors, rear floor and rear wheel wells and inside seat boxes for noise control.

4. Double up on these if space permits. Lay down thick carpeting where necessary - use outdoor, synthetic types that don't get musty/moldy.

The key is to cut these panels to cover as much area as possible. Make them removable on vertical surfaces with a tack of silicone or velcro for all you anal types. Plus, they're lighter than Dynamat-type stuff that's doubled-up or more for equal effect.

Of course, for a trail truck I don't see why you would bother with all this crap.
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:10 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
David,

Cheers,
Santiago
If you have a station wagon then you will probably notice a difference. I went a different route and used a product that is used on roofs in winter climates, it's called Peel N Seel or something like that. It is similar to Dynamat. I bought a 100 sq ft roll for $89 and did my entire truck cab including the ceiling and under the hood and I still have a bunch left over. My truck is very noisy and it made a huge improvement in noise and reducing heat transfer through the firewall/bulkhead. I can actually listen to the radio on the hwy now. Do as much as you can. I did the doors, seat boxes, floor, footwells, transmission tunnel etc... If you have a soft top it will still help deaden sound but IMO it would not be worth it, although at $89 to do your entire truck it's a cheap investment.
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:10 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Marchand's is a SW.

Always thought the roofing stuff was essentially the same as Dynamat but by your experience that may not be true.

Only thing I would do differently is not stick it directly to the truck where rust may develop. I'd like to check periodically for rust and covering it up with stuff like this doesn't sit well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions