Dyna Beads - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 27th, 2009, 02:04 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Dyna Beads

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html

I see there were two posts on these beads for balancing but it was unclear how good they were vs. regular weights.
Spoke with the company and they said there was no issue with the beads spitting out if the valve was above 3 - 8:00. However, one Disco driver on a trip I recently took had the EE beads and with the beads getting sucked against the valve stem filter it took him forever to air down. This company says they use large beads that do not require a filter and shouldn't be an issue.
My tires (285/75/16) require lots of weights and have thrown them periodically so this idea interests me as long as airing down isn't a problem
Anyone using them?

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2009, 02:13 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have them in my 36x12.5-16 TSLs and I am amazed at how well they work. I never feel any vibration at all from the wheels/tires. I ordered the filtered valve cores as well and have had absolutely no problems airing down.
I would say the tricky part is finding someone competent to install them, I was too leery of the tire jockeys around here so I did them myself in the garage when I mounted my tires. If you just want to do away with the weights, take your tires and wheels off and carry them to the local tire store. Tell them to remove the weights and break outer bead of the tire loose and thats all. Then bring them back home and with the rim laying on the ground face up, jam a long skinny funnel between teh broken outer bead and the rim and pour the beads in. Remove the funnel and make sure no beads are going to get pinched between the bead and the rim, apply a small amount of dish soap as lube (not enough that it goes inside the tire at all) and you are ready to reinflate. Stand the tire up with the valve stem at the 12 oclock position, install the new filtered valve core, inflate the tire and you are all done.

I had the Equal brand stuff in my old 33s and it would clump from time to time and give me the old "flat spot" feeling. The Dynabeads are actually little beads instead of powder so they shoudlnt do that.
Old April 27th, 2009, 03:07 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Thanks Joel - good to hear.
What did you worry that the tire jockies could screw up?
Since I use a Currie tire deflator that holds the stem inside its case after removing and airing down I'm not sure if the filter would be an issue.

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2009, 03:40 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb
Thanks Joel - good to hear.
What did you worry that the tire jockies could screw up?
Since I use a Currie tire deflator that holds the stem inside its case after removing and airing down I'm not sure if the filter would be an issue.

Clark
I was worried the guys in the tire shop would get lube down in the inside of the tire or mess up and spill the beads all over the floor or something. I am very picky about tire and wheel service though...
Old April 27th, 2009, 04:25 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I like Joel's suggestion. If do you go the do-it-yourself route, a ratchet strap around the tread side will easily pull the tire back onto the rim for inflation.

Let us know how it goes.

charles
Old April 27th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
1) Go to favourite camping store.

2) Buy large package of copper coated BBs.

3) Go to Walmart.

4) Buy cheap 1 lb kitchen scale.

Put BBs in tire...... $15 of BBs will do a good 20 tires. There is no need to waste money on "special" beads.... It all does the same thing.
Old April 27th, 2009, 05:29 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

How would you know how many BBs to put in each tire? What weight?
The Dyna Beads people told me that the only problem they hear about is when people put in too much.

Clark
Old April 27th, 2009, 05:30 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
What about abrasion? Any difference between the fancy stuff and BB's?
Old April 27th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm for the amounts.

People that have used the BBs find the BBs and the inside of the rims and tires look the same after years of use. If you want less abrasive, use airsoft pellets. They are plastic so you need more and thus cost more.

Follow-up Post:

Here is the counteract chart, http://www.counteractbalancing.com/application1.html You can see some differences.
Old April 28th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

This is very interesting to me as I was getting ready to use one of these products to balance my new tires. Anyway, one of those charts says 4oz for my tire size and the other says 8oz. Obviously I would prefer to use as little as needed, and Clark mentioned people having problems when they used too much, I would appreciate advice one which guide to follow. My tires are 305/70R16 BFG M/T KM.
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:21 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I use the airsoft pellets in 285/75-16 SSRs and they are smooth as can be at 65 MPH. 8 oz. in each tire.
Old April 28th, 2009, 03:03 PM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

I use them in my offroad motorcycle - good stuff...
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Old April 28th, 2009, 03:59 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Ive got regular BB's in my 38.5" Swampers (on my pickup) and i couldnt believe what a difference it made. I couldnt go over 35 mph without a terrible death wobble. With the BB's i can cruise on the highway at 65 mph no problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions