DUI Distributor - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 4th, 2005, 03:19 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
DUI Distributor

Has anyone yet installed a DUI distributor (as advertised by Performance Distributors) in a 3.9L D-90? I saw Hans had mentioned this possibility back in December, but I can find no reference to anyone installing one. Despite the price, it sounds as though it might be a significant improvement to the ignition system. Thought I'd better check to see if anyone has any input before I consider this option. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2005, 06:07 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

There is a guy on Landroversonly that installed one in a Rangie (I believe). I look for the thread.
Old April 4th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I've done a lot more research on distributor options and such since that last post :-)

The DUI is a complete and total rip-off at the price they charge for that thing by a significant amount. An HEI distributor for any Buick V-8 up until 1980 will fit (Make sure it's a BUICK not an CHEVY), all you need to do is change the drive gear to match the oil pump. You can use the gear you already have on your stock distributor for that. If you're good in the junkyard, you can do the same upgrade for under $100. RPI's website has the needed modifications on their website, they say it's for the Mallory Unilite, but it's the same things to change.

BUT, with any full-sized HEI unit, you might need to grind the intake manifold to fit properly as well as clearance problems with the radiator hose, and that makes it not worth the effort in my opinion. I'd stick with the Mallory Unilite, much smaller and doesn't need any wiring modifications or have the clearance issues. The MSD distributors for the buicks will also fit, though aren't a self-contained system like the Mallory and you would have to add the MSD box too

-Hans

Follow-up Post:

Wait, what year 3.9 are we talking about? I think it's pre-86(?) that had the smaller volume oil pumps, if you have that type, you can use any of the small-block buick distributors without modification.

The difference is that the older ones had a tab on the distributor, a slot on the oil pump. Later ones had a tab on the oil pump, a slot on the distributor. The newer type is called the "SD-1" style, since that was the first model to have the upgraded oil pumps.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2005, 07:29 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Thanks for the input. I'm tinkering with a 3.9L from a 1994 D-90. I have been a little leery of the DUI; if it is so good I would have thought a bunch of folks would be using it. On the other hand, you would think that there MUST be a better setup to put on this v-8 than what Lucas has used.
Old April 4th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

If you've got the '94 with the 2 v-belts and serpentine on the alternator, then you need to do the gear swap.

The most popular that I have seen people using is the Mallory, and it's what I plan on using for both my Defender and eventually my CJ-7 too...... for the parts commonality. Both the Mallory and Lucase are stand-alone units, the mallory has its amplifier internally as opposed to the external Lucas. You can just pick up the distributor itself to replace the Lucas, but you could also add their ignition box too if you want... which I think is superior to the MSD unit and cheaper too.

The Mallory is also around half the price of the DUI and is available from most speed shops. They list a rover specific model, but it's intended for the earlier engines. Since you have to modify either way, you can pick and choose anything for the Rover or small block Buick.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 4th, 2005, 08:59 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Thanks Hans. I sure appreciate your input on this matter. Electronics is not my strong suit; so I guess I could have gotten a job with Lucas. If it weren't for the electrical systems on these beasts these would be incredibly reliable trucks. Of course, even with the built-in electrical gremlins they're incredible trucks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
distributor