Dual Yellowtop with Warn Isolator - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 17th, 2007, 12:41 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Dual Yellowtop with Warn Isolator

So, I have decided that I should put in dual Yellowtop Optimas and have gone with the Warn Isolator. I figure this is a pretty reliable set up, and is not extremely complicated as far as wiring goes. The Warn isolator is not a combiner like the hellroaring unit, but it should do the trick for my lights, winch, and fridge.
I am going through the wiring in my head and I am trying to figure out exactly how to do it. I have a couple of thoughts/questions for those of you who may have done this.

A couple of years ago I had a shadetree mech redo a lot of my Hella wiring and when I got the truck back, I discovered that my battery was not being recharged. So, I ran my own heavy gauge wire from the back of the alternator to the battery, and that has been working just fine for a while now. But, now that I am going to be running the dual set up, I really don't know where to connect this alt wire.

Do I run the (+) alt wire to the isolator and then run two (+) leads off the isolators number 1 and 2 to the (+) posts on battery 1 and 2?

Do I leave the ground attached to battery 1 and ground battery 2 to battery one?

What gauge wire does the wire from the isolator to batt 1 and 2 need to be? (I plan on using 4 ga, but it would seem that an alt wire may not need to be this big)

97 D90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2007, 10:28 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Yes to your first 2 questions. That's how I have it wired. you might want to go with a little heavier gauge wire than stock for your ground as you have them both on the same wire. Size your wire from the isolator to the battery the same size as your alternator wire because it is only carring current from your alternator. Use the 4 gauge wire to go from a battery to your winch or to your starter. I have mine so one battery runs the Rover and the other is for the winch.
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:48 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Okay, I think I have it figured out.

97 D90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Do you have your Warn isolator yet? I have two new-in-box units that I got from them way back when. If you want it I like 'interesting' trades.
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:07 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Why not just wire them together? That way you always have the advantage of double the battery life for all applications? I have my dual yellow tops run together and it works out very well in my soft top. I have all my lights and winch run off the dual set up. I have been running this for the past 2-3 years.

The SW has a wrangler battery manager where I can run 1, 2 or jump off the first battery from the second.

I am not sure what the advantage would be to seperate them and not be able to jump off one battery from the other.

Old July 18th, 2007, 10:46 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

The way I understand the advantage is with an isolator you can run one battery completely flat and still have the other battery to start the truck. I've seen starting solinoids wired into the circuit so you can jump the two batteries together for a jump start with a flip of a switch. Another option I have considered is a marine type switch where you can select battery 1 or battery 2 or both together or off. The charging circuit would follow which battery is selected or both.
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:14 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Well, I have been thinking about this as well. I wonder how long an Engel could run on two yellowtops without cranking. My goal is a couple of days. I already bought the isolator, but I don't have to use it.
I would think it could run a long time if they were linked together(2 times as long). What do you think?

97 D90 SW

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions