dual position tailgate on a SW - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:55 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

dual position tailgate on a SW

I've been wanting a tailgate on my 97 SW for quite a while, often needing the extra space with it down. Problem is I also need it to swing horizontally so people can get in.

So, how about attaching a set of hinges on the right and bottom with removable pins? You simply install the appropriate pair for the application.

Now, as for the cables I'd like to have them not visible when the tailgate's closed so that means attaching them to some internal brace. I don't think I should simply connect to the body - probably isn't strong enough. Of course they'll be easily removable when not needed.

Finally, the top half of a door can be cut and hinged to open up. I'd prefer a metal one modified than just fitting the fuberglass version.

So, has anyone ever considered this or seen it done? Seems very useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2004, 11:33 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

WOW! Tall orders, I think you would want to first find some hinges, you may even want to look at the ones on a jeeps doors as they pop on and off easy. If you could mount them off the bumper as it is stronger then the body. It will take some planning but I think it's do able, do they have Defenders in the UK with tailgates?
Old April 23rd, 2004, 11:47 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I have never seen a SW with a tailgate, not even in UK magazines, but it's worth looking into further.

Yes, the lower hinges would be best fitted to the bumper, as in a Series.

Also, a military gate would be best as they are stronger. With larger tires this would be a good benefit as a tire carrier would not be feasible.

Finally, there is the issue of this working in the down position with a large tire attached. That means no stock rear bumper. Ouch! I really need to keep that to help people get in.

Yup, tall order indeed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2004, 11:51 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

What if the tire carrier moved independent of the tailgate so it could swing to the side all the time, and you could lock it in the open position when needed?
Old April 23rd, 2004, 11:58 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

The problem here is when the tailgate is down all the weight is on the carrier's body fittings. I don't think this is wise.

The only way around that is to add a locking device to the tailgate top right corner area to connect it to the carrier. Even so any major jarring may cause damaging stress to the body.

I don't mind the tire being below the tailgate when it's down. This would be a seldom used situation but when I need it I really need it.
Old April 24th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

True, I'm going to have to come down to see this when your done!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tailgate