Dual Battery Wiring Diagram Help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 6th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dual Battery Wiring Diagram Help

Wiring Experts,
Attached is a wiring diagram I drew up for a dual battery setup with two power cutoff switches - one master and one for the winch. I will be using a marine grade dual battery switch. Please take a look at the diagram and let me know if it looks correct before I burn down my Defender.

Follow-up Post:

Update: Just realized that I won't be using the winch power cutoff due to me relocating the winch controls to under the seat. So only the master power cutoff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	12059  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2008, 09:28 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

That looks right to me...

Old February 6th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I also just found out that the marine dual battery switch has a removable knob, so that eliminates the need for a second cut-off switch. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I wouldn't feed the winch through the master kill switch, that means you have to spend a lot more money for two high capacity switches. 150amp intermittent duty is plenty for the master, but not near enough for the winch.
Ideally you want something like 400amp continuous duty for the winch, which won't be cheap.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Rescue
I also just found out that the marine dual battery switch has a removable knob, so that eliminates the need for a second cut-off switch. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward now.
Ok, now I'm not sure what your goal is. It would help to see the switch you're thinking of using.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old February 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am using a Blue Sea 6007 dual battery switch. It is rated at 300amp continuous, 500amp intermitant (5min), and 700amps cranking (see below). This will be the only switch I am using. Since the winch controls are remoted to under the seat, that means I don't need a kill switch for it. And since the Blue Sea switch can also be turned to OFF and the knob removed for lock-out, that means I don't need another master kill switch.

My only concern is running the winch off the dual battery switch. Actually, if I just wire the winch directly to my second battery, when I kick that switch over to 2 batteries, the winch will draw from both batteries, right?

Inrush Rating: 0.25 sec (10 repeats)*1500 Amperes DCCranking Rating: 9.75 sec (10 repeats)*700 Amperes DCIntermittent Rating: 5 min (UL 1107)500 Amperes DCContinuous Rating: (UL 1107)300 Amperes DC

Semper Fi!
Old February 8th, 2008, 11:38 AM
RBees
Robert Bees
1994 D90 #8

I have a dual battery system in my Defender which uses a marine switch (Off/Batt1/Batt2) and I also have a Warn 10000lb winch which seems fine with this setup. It was installed when I purchased it, and runs just fine.

I also have a question regarding charging of batteries in this setup and whether the charger cables should be attached just to one battery, or to the positive terminal on one and the negative on the other. Does anyone know ?
Old February 8th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I run my winch through my marine dual switch--no problems.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
battery, wiring